'black Bass' (picture)

trapshooter

When I was a kid my dad always used to call smallies 'black bass'. After catching this 20" back in Oct I can see why.

It came out of a small lake near Temagami on a 4" storm swim shad. The fishing was real good that day even though it was during that Oct snow storm we had. We couldn't miss fishing rock/weed transitions... plasitcs, cranks... 4 feet or 15 feet, didn't matter.

Anyhow, here she is. Dark eh?

jplsmalliekw4.jpg

Also, this is my PB smallie (er, black bass). Released to fight again another day.

Edited - probably a good idea wayne :blush::D:blush:

Edited by trapshooter

Nice bass Ben. Extremely dark colours. Here is one my GF caught on Georgian Bay in the fall, not quite as dark but dark nevertheles

kerrybigbassti3.jpg

This was a very happy moment in the boat as a couple of casts before that she lost another biggun at the side of the boat.

Edited by Raf

I think its the clear water that makes 'em so dark?? I noticed that fish out of muddy water usually have that 'bleached' look to them.

We did not measure or weigh that fish but I am certain it was 5lbs and about 21-22". She definately showed the boys how its done that wknd. :D

Guest gbfisher

Another DARK one from the complete oppostite side of the island Raf was fishing, in VERY clear water.....this passed summer.

IMG_0011.jpg

Incidental catch... :dunno::lol::D

:Gonefishing:

Great pic's on the smallmouths trapshooter, Raf and gbfisher. Those are some real fatties!

Until I got the essox vodoo (fish with teeth) about five years ago the smallies were my favorite target.

Kinda of funny though how different areas have different names for the same fish just like the pikeral vs walleye deal, down here if someone said black bass you would assume they were talking about largemouths and smallmouths were branded as brown or bronzebacks.

Thanks for sharing some nice pics!

Whopper

No matter what their colour is they are just my favourite to fish for. Pound for pound you just can't beat the action they give you and on light tackle are just a blast. I have posted this before but if you want to really have fun try fishing them with a noodle rod and 2 to 4Lb test. One point of caution don't reef back to set the hook or you'll have flying fish going over your boat.

Like most ambust predators, smallies will adapt to the colour of their surroundings in many instances. That would be my guess for a late october dark fish. In the spring when they are up doing their business, they can turn dark as well possibly due to hormonal changes, or maybe somewhat of a sun-tan. Not sure if they have pigmentation in their skin that would allow it to be affected by prolonged sun exposure in the shallows.

Nice fish!

It is also my favorite finned creature.

Charles

Mike,

I have seen first hand that it takes as little as a couple hours. In the spring, we catch pale fish on Erie and if it goes in the livewell for a picture, it will come out all "coloured up" in a few hours. If you took a picture when you first caught it and then again after it was coloured up, you'd think it was two different fish.

Charles

WOW...congrats to everyones huge smallies/black bass, :thumbsup_anim: they are all huge by any standardsthats for sure,and like those the smallies from the ottawa river are the darkest ive ever seen as well, :Gonefishing::D its strange that they look very different colors from different water bodies

Edited by fishindevil