tipping and charters

scuro

If the boat has a "mate" ( deckhand that takes care of the fish and fishermen) it is customary to tip him 15-20% of the cost of the trip... IF he/she performs well and is friendly.

If the deckhand is grouchy and lazy, he doesn't get a damn cent from me.

The Captain is already getting paid for the charter, so tipping him isn't necessary.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Is a tip even necessary...??

$350 for 4 hours....that seems like a pretty decent income already!

Not to mention...you're being paid to fish!

(anyone know of any openings?!?!)

essentually yea, thats a good pay for the time... but take into account the cost of gas, not only for the boat, but perhaps towing the boat to the docks, i know bowens boat is docked at the marina,. but u also have costs for gettin himself there. then maintenence costs for the boat. gear and bait. break offs cost money to replace lost gear, respool reels when needed, and i know he has a couple wire rods, the wire is not cheap to put on either. theres a lot of costs associated with running a charter. its not 100% profit.

I'd say that it's not exhorbitant to pay the mate $50-$100 for a half day to a full day of fishing provided of course that he did his job. And no, if it was a bad day of fishing it's not the mate's fault. These guys often don't earn more than minimum wage.

As for the charter captain, I think his price structure is designed to make him a living. My tip to a good charter captain (owner) would be repeat business and referrals.

IMHO

essentually yea, thats a good pay for the time... but take into account the cost of gas, not only for the boat, but perhaps towing the boat to the docks, i know bowens boat is docked at the marina,. but u also have costs for gettin himself there. then maintenence costs for the boat. gear and bait. break offs cost money to replace lost gear, respool reels when needed, and i know he has a couple wire rods, the wire is not cheap to put on either. theres a lot of costs associated with running a charter. its not 100% profit.

Not to mention commercial insurance with a minimum 2 million dollar liability, chartering is not cheap, and it usually takes several charters each season before you even start profiting from it. I've been doing it for 4 years now, and I love it, but the profit isnt what you'd think. Most clients I have had have tipped very generously, and it is very much appreciated.

Not to mention commercial insurance with a minimum 2 million dollar liability, chartering is not cheap, and it usually takes several charters each season before you even start profiting from it. I've been doing it for 4 years now, and I love it, but the profit isnt what you'd think. Most clients I have had have tipped very generously, and it is very much appreciated.

Well said Steve...me myself have to do about 7 charters before i see a cent ..

Stoty try - 150,000 for boat , 500 for a rod and reel set x10 ,8 electric riggers and holders 10,000, another 10,000 in tackle and baits , 4,000 for summer dock , 3,000 for winter storage , + insurence +finders +gps +radar ++ I dont do it to get rich thats for sure , two 440 enginines and if I have learned anything about boats in the 30 odd yers Ive been in the biz if it can break ,it WIILL average 8,000 in maintance and repairs for the season and with two 250 gallon tanks you dont want to see the fuel bills , I would go broke if I took my boat out for 350 that would hardly cover the gas for a full day ??????? some guys just dont get it

I get it...every job/business has expenses.

But you dont need a $150,000 boat or $500 rod/reel combos, or dual 250 gallon gas tanks to have a guiding service.

Thats your choice to go that big.

Plus...the $350 was for 1/2 a day, not a full day.

The cost of doing business is huge in chartering and I'm not at all surprised by the numbers provided by the folks on this thread. It's a competitive business and customers will demand the $150k boat and all the bells and whistles. And, if your chartering on any of the big lakes, you need those tools!

As far as tipping is concerned, I have to agree with what most have said... 10-20% doesn't seem unreasonable.

HH

Those prices sound crazy, even without a tip! I've never been on a charter, and looking at these prices, I never will. But if the mate gets a modest hourly wage, then a tip sounds reasonable. If the captain is taking all the rewards (as well as the stated risks) then I'm with Roy and will leave the tip out and just give referral or repeat business. That's all hypothetical though. I know I'm not great company, but I wouldn't pay anyone to fish with me. ;)

in the late 70 early 80 Bronte had quite the salmon fishery and alot of charter boats came from everywhere to reap the whirlwind my buddies and I used to go as mates on some of the bigger boats gearing navigating and just general keep the customer happy guys it was not unusual then to get $50.00 but like the dawg says you gotta work for it

Hey capt Bruce not everyone has a 150 thousand dollar boat...infact only few on teh lake do. Who has 8 electric riggers on their boat no one i no unless your running multiple boats. 500 for a rod and reel set is not likely what type are you using and if you pay that your getting ripped off. I dont pay close to 4000 for summer dock. Next time you judge other boats make sure you know what they run. i run a 21ft seaswirl with one 60 gallon tank with a 15 horse fourstroke that hardly burns anything....gas is the least of my worries. My rod and reel combos arent close to 500 each and either are anyone elses. Stop goign over board by nearly double on all of your calculations to try and prove your point. I charge 350 becasue that is what is fair for me and my customers for ahalf day. Why would i do it if i wasnt making any money?

Bowen

Stoty why would you hire me if I didnt have all the best stuff??? been in the biz a long time customers pay for the best ,alot of fly by nighters come and go all the time,Im still around . I dont get tips usually ,the deck hand does allmost all the time (hes real good at what he does and lots of days he puts more money in his pocket then me, I get students from sir sanford fleaming every year and they live aboard and work on the boat all summer) but i have custermers from all around the world and one guy comes from Australria and pays 1200 for the boat all day for himself and his wife and he has tipped me 1000 more if we do good ,all kinds of people, BUT LIKE DAWG SAID , you got to EARN IT . One thing about fishing 7 days a week all season is ITS A JOB and ITS A HARD job when you gurentee fish day in and day out , I start at 4:30 am getting the boat ready and dont finish untill 10 0r 11 by the time the boat is cleaned and put away for the night EVERY DAY (I average 200 paid trips a year ), seen myself work all night fixing something if it cant wait. Its the dream job for me for sure and I love it but you your comment " 100 dollars an hour for fishing "seam like its MONEY FOR NOTHING thats for rock stars not fishing bums lol .And the other guy I run 4 riggers off the back and two on the side plus two 30 foot outriggers I have a 40 foot boat and I will gladly show you any bills for rods and reels I wish I could go back to trailing a boat to the dock but with gas now how you gonna make any money takeing out 2 or three guys guess you dont dock down town do ya , trade ya for a week.

Edited by capt bruce

I wouldnt hire you because you have "the best stuff". Last time I checked I dont need a $150,000 boat, or dual motors, or $500 rod/reel combos to catch fish.

My $100/hr to fish...wasnt saying its money for nothing, but making that kind of money fishing....probably isnt the hardest thing to get used to. Nor did I say it was easy or short hours, so not sure where that came from??

Hey capt Bruce not everyone has a 150 thousand dollar boat...infact only few on teh lake do. Who has 8 electric riggers on their boat no one i no unless your running multiple boats. 500 for a rod and reel set is not likely what type are you using and if you pay that your getting ripped off. I dont pay close to 4000 for summer dock. Next time you judge other boats make sure you know what they run. i run a 21ft seaswirl with one 60 gallon tank with a 15 horse fourstroke that hardly burns anything....gas is the least of my worries. My rod and reel combos arent close to 500 each and either are anyone elses. Stop goign over board by nearly double on all of your calculations to try and prove your point. I charge 350 becasue that is what is fair for me and my customers for ahalf day. Why would i do it if i wasnt making any money?

Exactly!

I, in everyday life tip for outstanding service, but I don't believe it tipping for ..OK... service,

I think many people tip big to show they are a some buddy, to make the statement I could buy and sell you........

I have done guide/ charter service and been on charters and more then one of them bragged about how much money they made each season, the one lived on his boat all season and Florida in the winter,

I don't like tipping someone who makes more money then me..................

ok maybe I'm cheap

well, if he went out of his way

I'm going on the assumption that the rate offered is the going rate, and that the price reflects a suitable profit for the operator.

There is no second mate with whom I'm booking, as far as I know the operator will be doing: set up and assist in netting the fish, along with the other duties and responsibilities. So I'm guessing tips are typical in this situation. Assuming they did their job well, what tip do you leave?

Edited by scuro

It's the same as anything else. You go to a restaurant and tip the waiter every time. They are getting paid too so what's the difference.

If I was paying for a charter I would go with the guy who has the best stuff and if it was a great day they would get a tip.

Is a tip even necessary...??

$350 for 4 hours....that seems like a pretty decent income already!

Not to mention...you're being paid to fish!

(anyone know of any openings?!?!)

As a small business owner myself, I don't think that rate is as great rate to "get paid to fish".

Think about this:

1: cost of boat

2: cost of helper

3: boat insurance

4: business insurance and taxes

5: WSIB on employee

6: poles/ lines/lures/downriggers etc

7: dock fees

8: winter storage fees

9: some kind of wage for the owner

10: FUEL costs

As for getting to actually "getting paid to fish":

On the many charters that i have been on over the years with www.bluegoose.com (Barry Nash) i have NEVER seen the owner or his mate ever put a line in the water for themselves.

They were focused on their customers and our desires.

Now as for the actual QUESTION of the thread, we always tipped 10-15% direct to the captain and paid $2.00/fish for each one cleaned as well.

Splashhopper

$350 between 3of us is around $120 per person for wonderful 4/5 hours fishing in lake “O” which is cheaper then a night out in town. And with the service I get from Bowen it’s worth every penny. :thumbsup_anim:

Regarding the rate, well someone posted a link here which has link to many charter services in this area and most of them are charging the same $$ irrespective of equipment they have, personally I care less if I am fishing in a 150 k boat or a 50k boat, all I care about is FISH! :Gonefishing: