Kawathra Bug Levels

barracuda

Hey Guys,

Was hoping on doing some fishing in the Kawathra region this weekend. Can anyone tell me how the bugs are?

Was out last weekend near Ottawa and the black flies were so bad that my gf swears she'll never go back there again. Any help would be much appreciated!

Black flies were deadly last Sunday in the Wilberforce/Harcourt area.Had to get the water running at the cottage.7 hour round trip $80 in gas and a thousand black fly bites and the Marina will do it for $60.Guess whos doing it next year?

Black flies were deadly last Sunday in the Wilberforce/Harcourt area.Had to get the water running at the cottage.7 hour round trip $80 in gas and a thousand black fly bites and the Marina will do it for $60.Guess whos doing it next year?

Were they ever bad up there OMG!!!

Sinker

I'm near the north shore of Pigeon Lake...about 10 minutes east of Bobcaygeon...

My wood guy dropped off a bush cord of firewood last evening and the bugs were out in full biting force...He couldn't get out of here fast enough and the same for me getting back in the house...pesky buggars... :angry:

don't let the bugs scare ya off of some good fishing...the black flies been pretty bad in the Central Hastings region where I have been going, pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Kawarthas and Ottawa...2 weeks ago it was brutal, this week not too bad..but then again when the blackflies start to go away, that's when the skeeters come out...then ya get a mixed bag of blackflies bugging ya all day, then the skeeters bugging you all night :huh:

Edited by jwl

In the Apsley to Burleigh Falls area, the Black Flies are declining, but the mosquitoes are ferocious.

I've been using Deep Woods OFF and it holds them at bay.

Tell the G/F to lay off the perfumed products, scented sprays etc. attract them.

The blackflies last weekend in Point Au Baril and Port Loring were so bad that stripped me of my clothes and threw me in the lake. Oh wait a sec, did I do that on my own? I haven't seen it that bad in many years. If you expect them to be bad in the Kawarthas, make sure you fasten yourself down with a 20 pound boat anchor tied to your ankle! Don't let youself get carried away.

Black flies in that area are horrible. Had the Kayak out there last week and they were everywhere. Wilborforce/Harcourt area around Baptiste Lake are infested. Buy one of those cheap $10 bug hats and you will be fine. We were trout fishing there mid week and found the het to be the best peice of equipment we had.