Crown Land Lakes

Stoty

Hey all,

My buddy and I do an annual trip every year and for the past few years we have gone to the same lake, but the fishing has declined quite a bit. Lots of fish, but NO size at all. Our biggest fish was a 2lb 1oz bass. That lake has Pike and Bass but all the Pike caught were literally under 2 lb's.

So this year we want to change locations and try somewhere new for a weekend.

What we want to do is find a new lake, that you can camp anywhere on the lake (crown land) that hold good sized Bass and Pike.

Anyone have any ideas or locations?

Thanks in advance!

*Stoty

The vast majority of the lakes in northern Ont are surrounded by crown land, picking just one isn't easy.

Here's what you can do though, pick an area that interests you. Once you have an area picked call the closest MNR office and ask to speak to a district biologist.

I've done the very same thing countless times over the years and some of my best back lakes have been discovered that way.

They're generally more than happy to point you in the right direction and the info is always solid..

Good luck

I've heard of a Lake called Deer Rock Lake a little bit North of Belleville which is supposed to have good bass/pike in it. I've never been myself but plan to make the trip sometime this summer. From what I understand the entire lake is "Courtesy" Camping. That is, there is a station with envelops and a drop box so its more like donation based.

Well, I'm very partial to the French River area and know a couple of lakes up there that have some good pike and bass but I need to know more about what you are expecting.

There are some that you can drive right to and others that you might have to use an ATV or hike into. Do you have a boat or canoe or do you just want to fish from shore? Are you happy roughing it or do you expect out houses and showers? Driving time from Lindsay about 3.5 hours but if you want back lake fishing..... don't mind the odd bear, there is a few that I would consider sharing with you.

Stoty,

Have you consider you are not fishing your old lake correctly. You mention small pike. What time of the year are you fishing them. Chances are if it's in the summer months the larger pike are no longer in the shallow weeds where you are catching hammer handle pike. Large pike are a cool/cold water species unlike the small pike you are catching. Is there deep water in said lake ? ? If so are lake trout also present in said lake as this shows a cold water ecco system that contains alewife. gizzard shad or other cold water forage. If not then you are correct to find another lake to fish that contains large Esox lucius that look like this one.

NorthernPike.jpg

Good Luck,

Bob

Big Cliff - we have a 16ft, fully rigged boat that we would bring with us, so as long as there is a launch, we are open to almost anywhere. We mainly target bass/pike/walleye. My buddy mentioned a few weeks ago that he would like to hit up the French River, so if you could PM me more information about the lakes you're talking about that would be great.

Billy Bob - We are fishing the lake correctly in search of some big fish. There is a stretch of deeper water in the lake (25ft ish) that we have hit hard, with not much luck. Deep diving crankbaits, jigs, you name it we have thrown at it. There are no lake trout in the lake, just bass/pike/panfish. I keep seeing this "Esox" word. What exactly is that? BTW - YES I WANT to fish a lake with trophy's like that one in the picture!

Big Cliff - we have a 16ft, fully rigged boat that we would bring with us, so as long as there is a launch, we are open to almost anywhere. We mainly target bass/pike/walleye. My buddy mentioned a few weeks ago that he would like to hit up the French River, so if you could PM me more information about the lakes you're talking about that would be great.

Billy Bob - We are fishing the lake correctly in search of some big fish. There is a stretch of deeper water in the lake (25ft ish) that we have hit hard, with not much luck. Deep diving crankbaits, jigs, you name it we have thrown at it. There are no lake trout in the lake, just bass/pike/panfish. I keep seeing this "Esox" word. What exactly is that? BTW - YES I WANT to fish a lake with trophy's like that one in the picture!

The French is great. Be aware of all the regs in place there and campsites may be occupied depending on how busy it is.

Well, if you are towing a 16' boat then a lot of the lakes I can help you with won't be of much use, remote in my books is somewhere you have to hike into and you aren't likely to see anyone else in a weekend except perhaps a few locals. Launches usually consist of a rock or clearing that you slide the boat over and into the water LOL.

Best bet would be to head up to Hartley Bay on the French. From there you can access all kinds of water and fishing; many beautiful remote bays holding some huge pike, bass, and walleye; stretches of river, and lots of crown land for you to camp on. If that sounds like something you would be interested in let me know and I'll go over my charts and give you some good spots to start you off. I used to guide up there many years ago and a lot of the names I knew bays and places by were local names and probably don't show up on the charts by those names but I can sort that out easily enough for you.

Honestly, driving to Temagami is 5.5 - 6 hours, the boat launch is free, the parking is free (in the right spot, but even that is spelled out for you) and the Crown Land website shows you all the spots that you don't need a permit for.

Tooooootally worth it :) IMHO