Miller Out To Lunch....TO Banning Gun Ranges & Warehouses

CLofchik

Being an idiot must be a job requirement for being the mayor of Toronto.

Him and Dalton should just ban being 'not nice' and the whole world will be a better place, problems solved.

The Toronto Star glorifies these morons and a sea of like minded morons with votes puts them in charge.

"Nobody can deny that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on the streets of our city," Miller said of sport shooting yesterday, amid debate on a possible gun bylaw.

I can and would deny that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on ANY street in any country ! ! !

Once guns are outlawed ONLY outlaws will have guns. Does this mayor think adding more STUPID gun laws will protect anyone. Instead of outlawing guns I believe some PEOPLE should be outlawed ! ! !

NY City has a NO hand gun law. Even though I am a registered hand gun owner in the State of NY I cannot take my firearm legally to NY City. Now tell me, is Western NY more safe than NY City or is NY City safer than the rest of the state where hand guns can be processed ? ? ?

Again I mention don't outlaw legal guns but rather illegal people ! ! !

Would I be an idiot fer wanting anyone caught with a handgun, be imprisoned fer 10 years, no ands, ifs, or buts?

Make that an illegal hand gun, and I'm all for it. Get caught using any gun for crime........say hello to your new room mate......"Bubba".

Sinker

Too bad the general population is with him on this one.. I hate to say it, but we're being overwhelmed by voters who are oblivious to the cause. He's getting approval by instilling fear in people, must of whom have never held a firearm. Couple that with the fear mongers over at the Toronto Star.. That an the fact that Miller is obviously a TOOL.

Miller and his band of communists will do or say anything to get more bleeding heart leftist "city-it's" to follow him. I wonder how many of these morons have actually been outside of the borders of the GTA?

Can't recall the last time I read about someone being shot at a gun club... hey, maybe they should make a few selected areas of Toronto "gun clubs" , that would at least make them safe! :wallbash:

HH

Yup, we all know that the crimi9nals like to punch some paper and the gangsters like to shoot some trap before a drive by... Hmmm, too bad only around 4 out of 140 or so homicides in 2k6 and 6 of 120 or so in 2k7 were committed with registered firearms... but heck who doesn't like their constitutional rights like the right to peaceful assembly and life, liberty and security of the person infringed upon every now and again?

ohhh yea and all those 60 and 70 year old hooligans at the club should be locked up and denied some more rights too... Heck I go to a gun club Sundays, I guess that my hobby means I will be out on a killing spree in a few years eh? And lets P/O gun owners to get better compliance and less tenseness and violence, good plan mayor Miller, you my friend clearly are a Naive Sonuvadumb :asshat:

Wow the criminals must be shaking in their boots! Now they just face a possible jail sentence, soon they may face a possible jail sentence AND a $100 by-law ticket. Man I can see them all laying down their guns now!!! :wallbash:

Makes it look like he is doing something about the problem!

One wonders if his political ego has developed to such an extent that thinks he can gull the general public into believing that he's serving their needs by restricting legal ownership of handguns because this will stop the supply of guns to that segment of our society that uses guns illegally, or if he's dumb enough to think that cutting off the places to use guns legally will suddenly dry up the gun supply and their use and actually solve the problem. Either way it's political grandstanding. It's not too hard to see that the gun crimes are being committed by folks who could care less about the laws or lawful behaviour, and no amount of anti-gun regulation is going to do anything to hamper their fun.

One partial solution I see might be to make the penalty for crimes involving guns heavier, as someone already suggested, heavy enough to make any but the hardest core villains think twice. Once some of these criminal lightweights who were just trying to impress their buddies (the other small time drug dealers in the hood) and protect their tiny turf start hearing from their jailed buddies about how much fun it is cuddling with Bubba in their jail cell every night for twenty years they might think twice. It may not matter to the hard-core criminal element, but it never has anyway. In any case I suspect the problem that's making the news these days is the neighbourhood punks grandstanding. Let's give 'em something to think about, and perhaps whatever minimal intellect they possess will let them see that the price of fleeting glory is too high.

The hardcore criminals will always use guns because they can never be fully eliminated, the criminals or the guns, but how much of an impact does that kind of crime really have on our everyday lives? It's the punks shooting other punks that's getting the press these days.

I'm not a gun owner any more, only because I have no need for a gun. I've thought about getting back into range shooting though, just for fun. To me there's something too over-the-top draconian about the idea of pols eradicating gun ranges from our world, if only because it takes away yet one more option for me to have a little fun and relaxation. It's too extreme, and too irrational, like cutting off your right leg to stop an ulcer on your left arm. If the good mayor wants to promote irrational solutions he should be prepared to wear the horns when folks point out his irrationality. Ask him for statistical evidence of why and how this will help. For now it's just kneejerk silliness that will appeal only to those of similarly irrational thinking.

JF

Hand guns are used for several different purposes. Self defense in one, target shooting is two and hunting, YES hunting is done by many with a hand gun. Also trappers find a .22 caliber hand gun a good companion while on the trap line not to mention hunters who hunt dangerous game like a large handgun as a back up weapon.

Canadian gun trivia note- Not that long ago (late 50's, early 60's) at least one insureance companys in Montreal, had their own indoor gun range for employees.

Personally, I think there were a lot more guns after WW2 and into the next 50 years. Deterrance through stiff time and a lack of the death penalty though the actions of a vocal group thriving on urban politicking has made us far worse for wear in my opinion. The registry has just allowed multiple generations, of what were law abiding people to become criminals.

Life is good for criminals in Canada......

outdoorguy61

Hand guns are used for several different purposes. Self defense in one, target shooting is two and hunting, YES hunting is done by many with a hand gun. Also trappers find a .22 caliber hand gun a good companion while on the trap line not to mention hunters who hunt dangerous game like a large handgun as a back up weapon.

There is no legal hunting in Ontario with a hand gun. The only purpose for one here is to shoot people or targets. I'm totally against any more gun regulations.....it needs to start with penalties for using guns for crime. Until that happens, they can ban as many guns as they want, and nothing will change. Criminals can carry guns now, and get a slap on the wrist.....but if I have my legally owned, registered long guns in the wrong place at the wrong time......I will fry for it. What a crock of carp!! Its totally legal for me to drive my van, with an uncased, unloaded shotgun on the front seat in day light hours...........just imagine if I tried to do that thru downtown TO...... :stretcher: ........I'd prolly end up with a swat team on my ass!! :wallbash:

Sinker

Heres an interesting link...http://www.torontothebad.com/Sinker

The only ones who will really put up a stink, are those who spent a good chunk o' change on handguns and associated memberships.

They will be put out somewhat from their hobby.

The other one's who will be upset are those who feel they need a gun to protect themselves from the gun toting villains. And finally, the illegal gun owners, will put up the greatest fuss.

The thing is..where do illegal handguns come from? I understand a significant number of them are stolen from law abiding permit holding citizens. Take away that source, and what is left?

I there are no handguns, you will not need one either.

It's not often I get annoyed but, you let me know when all the criminals have dropped off their illegal guns, then maybe the legal owners can do likewise and take up another sport/hobby. :wallbash:

Clamp-it you are wrong there... they are smuggled in from the US.. very few are stolen due to the tight security measures (Gun cases, Trigger Lock) we have to employ here in Canada. But that is not to say it does not happen..

G

I understand a significant number of them are stolen from law abiding permit holding citizens. Take away that source, and what is left?

I'd love to see some real proof of just how many people are killed with stolen guns........or just how many registered guns are in fact stolen.

I'd be willing to bet 95% of all gun crimes are done with guns that were never registered.

I am only guessing here, so don't hold me to it. :)

The bottom line is if you take all the guns away, there will still be guns. If you actually punish those who use a gun for crime.....you might see a drop in gun related crimes.

Sinker

It's not often I get annoyed but, you let me know when all the criminals have dropped off their illegal guns, then maybe the legal owners can do likewise and take up another sport/hobby. :wallbash:

I just knew you would say that.

I would have been surprized had someone not.

I agree, it's a tough call fer sure, but (within city limits) wouldn't it make sense to ban handguns even if it would inconvenience a small percentage of legal gun owners? That way we would be inconveniencing the illegal :devil: gun owners. If everytime someone is found with a handgun within city limits, they get the slammer, the problem would dry up in a hurry. That's just my feeling on the matter, and I understand that verybody has a right to feel different about it, but ultimately, aren't laws supposed to be made to protect the innocent law abbiding,honest, hard working, taxpaying citizens.

Take away that source, and what is left?

united states, jamaica. most of the illegal handguns can be traced back to these two places. sure, some are the results of robberies but compared those two sources, it is really a small number.