What are some good topwater musky baits??

MuddyWater

hello i was just lookin at the calendar and noticed musky action coming up and i wanted to try topwater for them this year. i have caught lots underwater but not many topwater the odd one while fishing for bass with a walk the dog style lure. with a nice paycheck comin up this friday i was gona purchas some big dirty lures but i dont really know where to start and they are expensive !! anyways any baits to try would be awsome good luck out on the wata!

Zara Mag Spook is good, I like Poe's Awakers they are kinda hard to find though. Bought a custom musky buzzbait, it's about 10x the size of my bass buzzbaits can't wait to give that a shot!

Caught many musky on bass topwaters in Kawarthas, as soon as put larger versions of same lures

on musky gear, i have landed no fish. Gotten many exciting strikes and fought some fish briefly

but have zero hooking percentage. Had the most strikes on Dancin' Raider anyways.

Good luck,

ehg

Like Crazyhook, I also use DOCS & Topraiders alot, but one of my favorites is a 10" jointed Believer cranked slowly along the surface, specially in the evening when everything is starting to quiet down. :Gonefishing:

Favorite color is black with a white belly stripe.

Lew, you reminded me that I need to pick up some more lures :) Jointed Believers are on the list.. I also picked up a TopRaider along with some Magnum Zara Spooks..

What are these DOC's you are talking about? Another WTD type lure?

Edited by BillM

What are these DOC's you are talking about? Another WTD type lure?

Here's a pic of the Doc's Bill, you can get them at JB's and I think maybe BPS carries them too.

Alot of top waters are too light and when a musky comes up from beneath them, they just knock them outta the way before they can grab them. The Docs have a bit of weight to them and the hook-up ratio is better than many others. They've also got rattles which I like as I think it helps to attract the fish in dirty or dark waters.

You'll like that Believer on top too, just clip it on the shallow setting and crank it slow.

prodMainDoc.jpg

hello i was just lookin at the calendar and noticed musky action coming up and i wanted to try topwater for them this year. i have caught lots underwater but not many topwater the odd one while fishing for bass with a walk the dog style lure. with a nice paycheck comin up this friday i was gona purchas some big dirty lures but i dont really know where to start and they are expensive !! anyways any baits to try would be awsome good luck out on the wata!

Just make sure you have the proper release tools as well!

-A good quality Muskie Net

-Long nose pliers

-Mini bolt cutters

-Jaw spreaders

Edited by Pigeontroller

Hrm, I wonder how thos DOC's compare in weight to the Magnum Zara's.. They are pretty heavy and also have rattles. I'll drop by JB's and check them out.

With this colder weather, I have a feeling 'slow' is going to be a key word for the June 7th opener.. You think the top water bite is going to be tough if the water temps are a bit cooler then usual?

Hey Bill, the Docs are heavier then the Spooks I believe. I have had luck with Poe's Giant Jackpot as well. Same Walk the Dog style but seem to have a little more POP to them I find. JB's has both, have a look. The Doc's are plastic bodies where the Poe's are wood (the ones I have are). Spooks seem to Glide more where as the Doc's and the Jackpots seem to bob more in the water. Hey, it cant hurt to have one of each.

Hey Mike,

I've noticed a few WTD baits have 3 trebles compared to 2 on the Spook. I need all the help I can get :) Off to JB's I go again!

You guys ever add a twister tail to the last hook on a topwater? I am assuming every little bit helps.

I have never added a trailer to a top water. I have however to about 80% of my bucktails when a standard bucktail is only getting follows. It has increased my follows to strikes by about 50-60%. Soon you will be broke Bill. I was just at JB's on Saturday and picked up a St. Croix 8' Glass Rod and I am ordering the Tekota online. I need to put a cap on my spending habits.

Sounds like you and me are in the same boat. Although, when we get out this year, we'll surely look like we know what we are doing!!! (Based upon the amount of tackle and rods we'll both have, lol)

:)

You guys ever add a twister tail to the last hook on a topwater? I am assuming every little bit helps.

try it and see how it affects the action. but i think with wtd style baits a rubber trailer would kill the action. drifter made jointed beleivers with a rubber tail. i'm sure those would work ;)

i think everyone covered the basics. wtd, prop/head spinners, buzzbaits. the only ones i havent seen mentioned are creeper style baits.