muskymike

Line Choice for Pike  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Line Choice

• Fluorocarbon
    • Braid
    • Mono

All three.

For instance I went pickeral fishin from shore tonight, used 10 lb mono. Tomorrow I am going pike fishing and ill be using 45 lb PP and when bass season opens it will be a mix depending on conditions

Just wondering...... is the fluoroclear diffrent then the p line fluorocarbon?

Yes. Fluoroclear is a fluorocarbon coated copolymer. It gives the invisible characteristics of pure fluoro, and the strength and durability of copolymers. I find it has better knot strength, and doesn't have as much memory. I find pure fluoro is a little too stiff for me, and it frays if you cast it too much. The fluoro clear is much softer, but still nearly invisible, abrasion resistant......and it hasn't frayed on me yet. Its cheaper than pure fluoro as well :canadian:

Keep in mind, I"m only using it in 2-8lb test. For higher test fluoro, as a leader, I use Seaguar, and buy it in 25m spools. If I need anything more than 8lb line, I'm fishing for fish with teeth, and I use braid with a heavy fluoro leader.

Sinker

For Pike.

50lb Power Pro on the baitcaster.

20-30lb Power Pro on the spinning outfit.

Both 30-45lb 9" black coated steel leaders.

Fly Fishing.

9wt floating 555 series pike/bass tapered line. 14lb, 6ft mono leads and 8" 30lb steel tippet.

Ice Fishing.

Anything at all braided, but heavier stuff specific for pike 30-50lb Spiderwire, Stren or whatever old braid is kicking around.

For Eyes.

6-8lb XT or Maxima, OR, 10-20lb Power Pro on spinning gear. Icefishing 10-20lb braids.

For Searuns.

8lb XT or Maxima.

bunk, do you use braid on your jiggin rods through the ice or just tipups? i can't stand the stuff for jigging & retrieving on a reel. absorbs water, freezes and turns into a mess on the reel. i know youre not a hut dweller either lol!

I do raf. Strictly braids now. Understand though, most times the walleye here bite quite hard (when biting) and are being caught in 1 to 8 FOW below the ice. About two feet 90% of the time actually. I can't remember fishing deeper than about 8 feet more than once. The ice thickness can be 4 feet and when the fish run they're scraping my line in those depths across the bottom of the hole at up to 90 degrees. When I used mono first getting into ice fishing, I lost a couple bigger fish when the line snapped likely from that friction alone. With these dirty waters I decided no more chances as the fish aren't line shy anyway.

More than 50% of our pike are caught on walleye outfits, and 20% of those fish caught over 40 inches have been on walleye gear and small baits. I've used Spiderwire, Stren and PowerPro and don't find the ice build up on the line much worse than mono, and on the reel because I'm using so little line fishing such shallow water it doesn't build up much there either.