What mono line has the least memory?

bigcreekdad

My son is developmentally disabled, but loves to fish, and he, I, and his brother have been hitting the French River since he was 12 years old (he's 25 now). In the past he has pretty much stuck to dunking live bait over the side and a little trolling. While he usually catches fish doing this, I'm trying to teach him to cast an opened face outfit. I'm looking for mono with the least memory, to cut down those darn loops that end up on the real if you are not careful. Probably will just sick with 10 pound test. Thanks in advance.

I'm rabid to get back to the French for the muskie opener.....I mean RABID!!

If you spool up with Power Pro you won't have the memory problem. This line is very slick so it casts easily. You will need to learn two knots, the Palomar and the Uni, the traditional fisherman's clinch knot slips out of super-line. Use 20 pound test, on your son's spinning reel. It's the diameter of 8 pound mono. If your worried about line visibility while still fishing, tie on a leader of Fluorocarbon....say 10 pound test. It is nearly invisible under water. Use about 20 to 25 feet, so that all of the leader is wound onto the reel, plus a few extra turns, when landing a fish. This saves putting the strain on the leader to running line knot.

Good Luck

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I myself would stay with mono but your problem is not line memory but rather line twist that all spinning reels get.

The way line is spooled onto a spinning reel can and will cause twist even if it is spooled on correctly. However, you can correct this problem very easy by either walking the line back off the spool with NOTHING on the end and reeling it back onto the reel or just letting the line out the back of the boat (with nothing on the end) while the boat is going slow and then of course reeling it back in. But over time from just casting and reeling back in all spinning reel will again gather some twist causing loops and what not at the reel after a cast. But now you know how to remove said twist.

BTW go down to 6 or 8 lb test. This will help a LOT also.

Bob

If you spool up with Power Pro you won't have the memory problem.

I think he wants to know about mono......

Up until this year I have used Trilene XT or the Rapala mono, without issues.

As long as you dont over-fill the reel, you shouldnt have too many looping problems.

Like Billy-Bob said, go down to 8 lb test, which should help as well.

I've been using Cabelas Pro Line for a few decades now. It's extremely cheap too. About 1/4 the price of premium line. Yet their guarantee sates that you can use and compare their line against any other line on the market, for 60 days. If you aren't completely satisfied, return it no questions asked. I've never returned a spool yet. Same goes for their rods and reels. Everything I use is Cabelas. Top quality stuff for 1/2 the price, or less.

I've been using Cabelas Pro Line for a few decades now. It's extremely cheap too. About 1/4 the price of premium line. Yet their guarantee sates that you can use and compare their line against any other line on the market, for 60 days. If you aren't completely satisfied, return it no questions asked. I've never returned a spool yet. Same goes for their rods and reels. Everything I use is Cabelas. Top quality stuff for 1/2 the price, or less.

I'll second Cabela's Pro Line and just about anything with the Cabela's name on it.

I have been using their line ever since I tried it about 10 years ago. To me it seems like it's Stren line which I use to use before going to Cabela's Pro Line.

As far a Berkley Line their XL line stands for extra limp over their XT line which stands for extra tough but not as limp.

.....Seems like a lot prefer Trilene and I'll add my vote to it. Trilene XT is on most of my reels and the only other mono I use is Maxima Ultragreen. You might find the Maxima more pliable and memory free than the Trilene.

I have tried every mono from A to Z, my fav. is the Suffix elite or seige G2 presision winding. I use the camo for carp and clear for bass. I tested it by putting it on the wrong way on 6 spinning reels and on my bit pit reel 4 months ago. I never got a twist, tangle or loop to this day, knock on wood. For the price, $9.99 at BPS 330yrds you can't go wrong. One more thing, put the line on a tight as you can, that helps.

Daniel