Erie Smallie Report!

Fished out of Buffalo for the day on weds. If we were on any other body of water it would've been a stellar day, but for Erie at this time of year it was actually pretty tough fishing. Three of us fished hard for 7 hours or so and managed around 70 fish in our boat for the day. Plenty of fish over 4lbs, a few 5lbers each and one of my buddies landed a long but skinny 22 incher which only weighed in at 6.25lbs....not heavy for that length....

There was no rhyme or reason to how we were catching them. Usually when you find them staked up on rock piles it's 1 after another but they were scattered all over the place. We got fish everywhere on everything, from 7 feet of water up to 30 feet.

Water temp was between 49 and 52, and fish were caught on tubes, football heads, swim baits, twitch baits, drop shots and Jigging spoons..... Tubes seemed to be the ticket for the bigger fish and the drop shot was pretty well only producing little guys...

My first fish of the day, first cast, was a solid 20 inches - so I figure, ah, I'll beat that by the end of the day.....figures, after that I couldn't boat anything over 19, so that's what I ended up measuing for the tourney!

Running out....

gallery_133_237_9757.jpeg

First fish of the day....

gallery_133_237_22161.jpeg

Fat fish...

gallery_133_237_1212.jpeg

A release...

gallery_133_237_117928.jpeg

gallery_133_237_46495.jpeg

One fish was spitting up shiners, so I tried out a silver jigging spoon and it was the ticket for a few

nice ones...

gallery_133_237_78186.jpeg

gallery_133_237_10793.jpeg

A close-up

gallery_133_237_96680.jpeg

Finally got around to measuring this chunky 19 incher for the tourney...caught on a tube in about 10 FOW..

gallery_133_237_68598.jpeg

Good Luck out there this long weekend..

Cheers,

UF

Great report! Looks like you had little company out there with you too. Some huge smallies there....good call noticing what they were feeding on too. It's always great when a plan comes together. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh yeah...I'm sure you're little one will keep on fishing with you...just keep getting her fishing related toys, like this one as she gets older. My little one got this one yesterday. Cost a whole dollar!! LOL

toy.jpg

Great report! Looks like you had little company out there with you too. Some huge smallies there....good call noticing what they were feeding on too. It's always great when a plan comes together. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh yeah...I'm sure you're little one will keep on fishing with you...just keep getting her fishing related toys, like this one as she gets older. My little one got this one yesterday. Cost a whole dollar!! LOL

toy.jpg

Yeah Averie has her fair share of fishin' toys Cliff! Her fav's are some magnetic fish that she catches when she's in the bath tub!

Great fish. Lake Erie sure is producing some monsters. Thanks for the pics and report.

I think there was 3 fish over 8lbs caught in erie last year... it's crazy. A friend of mine was guiding on friday with two guys who've never fished erie and all three of them landed 6 pounders before lunch!

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! I think they were thinking of making lake erie smallies open all year long in Canada also. Good call on the silver jigging spoon.