Blackflies Out in Full Force?

Basskicker

I plan on spending the long weekend tent camping just north of Kaladar/Cloyne area fishing with 4 friends who don't exactly like the bugs or fishing (my sister), so it should be rather interesting. Does anyone know how bad the blackflies are this year so far? Thanks

Jason

I was trout fishin' yesterday in the back lakes and as soon as the day started to warm up they were out...there wasn't alot of wind so they were swarming around me in the boat...I wouldn't say that they are in full force yet, but this weekend will be a treat for anyone camping to say the least!!....

I'm 45 km. so0uth of Bancroft. The Black Flies are out, but they're not bad yet. I was sitting in the driveway working on the boat. Every so often one would sneak up and bite me. There were no swarms etc.

Hey Darsky, that's the first I've heard of using bounce sheets.....does it really work well? I usually attach (tape) a mosquito coil with metal attachment to my baseball hat. Burnt a couple of hats over the years.....but most bugs stay FAR away.....hehehehe.

Jason

Didn't see a single one in Algonquin on the 1st weekend of May, but yesterday I was up at Belwood lake and got Swarmed big time but....

They were not biting just yet.

My guess is they will be on the feed this weekend.

If you had seen the welts on my arms over the past weekend you wouldn't have had to ask...seems the first bites of the year cause my immune system to produce some anti-histamine as yesterdays bites did not swell up as much...lots of calamine lotion helps take out some of the itch... :stretcher:

BTW...TJ sells a great bug jacket

Edited by Beans

The best way to keep the Back Flies out of your face is to tear a hole in the seat of your pants! :whistling:

Hey Glen...thanks for making me cover my monitor with coffee this morning :clapping:

If you don't want to be covered with DEET all weekend, take a bundle of garlic bulbs with you!!..you have to peel the garlic and then cut the clove in half so that the oil comes out...rub it all over you and you'll be amazed at the results :thumbsup_anim: you'll have no bugs around you as well as the girlfriend, fishing buds and people fishing your secret hole ;)

Between Bracebridge and Huntsville last night they were brutal.

Nothing thru the day - then crazy in the evening - and gone at full dark.

They usually will get worse before they get better.

I will second the "bounce sheet" method tho'.

But I still prefer Deet. You gotta die of something right ? lol.

Hookset.

You got it Stoty.

I tape a sheet inside my hat and leave as much hanging out the back as possible to protect my neck.

Then take a second sheet and rub it all over any exposed areas.

I have put them in the tops of my socks to keep them away from there too.

It did seem to work pretty good, and the girlfriend said I smelled like I just fell outta the dryer.

Instead of the usual fish slime smell. Hey maybe it's the new fisherman's aphrodesiac ?

Worked for me !!!

Hookset.

that's great to know about the Bounce sheets. did you know that they also work great at getting the dead bug's off the front of your car/truck/van/suv/camper/boat? yes it works wonders and dosen't scratch. just get it moist and your good to go...