Cabin Opening /08

solopaddler

I havn't been up to the cabin since last October when I closed her up. Usually I'm up at least once over the winter to check on things, but with my schedule it wasn't possible this year.

With the walleye/pike opener next Friday I had to make the time for a quick trip north to get everything in order for next weeks onlaught :) .

My dad was kind enough to join me and we left Dundas at 4:30 AM on Friday (Let me tell ya I wasn't too chipper).

After a mostly uneventful 7 hour drive north we were greeted by an incredible sight. I had heard the water was high, but this is what the parking lot in front of my boat slip looked like:

P5090014.jpg

There were actually small fish swimming around in the lot LOL!

The last time the water was high like that the fishing on the opener was unreal, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Once again I had a ridiculously huge load of stuff to haul over to camp:

P5090013.jpg

Fortunately winds were light and the 30 minute boat ride was a breeze. Here's my first view of my little chunk of paradise:

P5090016.jpg

Thank goodness everything went smoothly. No major disasters to deal with, just a couple of small ones. Apparantly the rodents up there enjoy chewing on screen doors :P . Both of the screen doors on each side of the sunroom were chewed to bits. Patched 'em up with duct tape for the time being. The replacement will be a summer project.

Also forgot to get a new foot valve for the water pump and had a heck of a time getting the old one functional again...but I eventually did.

Lots of unloading and cleanup, it was a looong, looong day.

The highlight was dinner at 8:30:

P5090018.jpg

P5090019.jpg

My dad was in bed and sleeping 10 minutes after we ate. He's a pretty tough guy, but he is 70....

P5090039.jpg

Me? I poured a stiff drink, listened to the loons and stared at the night sky:

P5090034.jpg

Next week there'll be a lot more fish pic's in my report :) .

Cheers, Mike

Looks great up there. Where abouts is your camp Mike? My bother in law and I have two camps about 8 hours from London, which would be about the same distance as your 7 hour drive from Dundas. We are about 1 1/2 hours Northeast of the Sault.

Looks great up there. Where abouts is your camp Mike? My bother in law and I have two camps about 8 hours from London, which would be about the same distance as your 7 hour drive from Dundas. We are about 1 1/2 hours Northeast of the Sault.

I'm actually in N/W Quebec directly east of Kirkland Lake.