Toronto Islands Pike Opener

Well I got out to the Toronto Islands for the Pike opener today and it was Dynamite! I got there at about 2:00 pm and fished until 7:30.

Didn't catch anything until about 4:30, but from then on it was non-stop action. I caught 9 Pike, an OOS 2-3lb Largemouth, lost 2 other Pike, and had a ton of missed follows. No huge fish, the biggest was about 35 inches and I didn't get a weight on it, but I'm guessing about 6-7 lbs. All fish were caught on size 14 Husky Jerks fished pretty fast.

It rained the whole time I was there but it didn't seem to bother the Pike. In fact I caught most of the fish when the downpours came! 3 fish in 3 casts at one point! I was standing in the rain and screaming because I was soo happy. My first fish of "08! :clapping:. I was dressed in good rain gear and I was comfortable so the rain didn't bother me. Didn't take pics of all of the fish because of the heavy rain...sorry Team 13!

It was packed out there! I probably saw 15-20 other people fishing, which is a lot for the Islands. Met some fellow OFNers which is always nice. Well heres the pics...

Shot from the ferry ride.

HPIM1087.jpg

Cool fog shot, looks like it could have been up at the cottage.

HPIM1091.jpg

First fish of '08 23 inch Pike

HPIM1097.jpg

25 inch Pike

HPIM1099.jpg

27 inch Pike

HPIM1100.jpg

30 inch pike

HPIM1104.jpg

Yea the Tourney sign started to get trashed from all the rain...

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

It rained the whole time I was there but it didn't seem to bother the Pike. In fact I caught most of the fish when the downpours came! 3 fish in 3 casts at one point! I was standing in the rain and screaming because I was soo happy. My first fish of "08! :clapping:. I was dressed in good rain gear and I was comfortable so the rain didn't bother me.

Congrats on a great pike opener !! :Gonefishing:

Good to see your not afraid of some nasty weather either, it always amazes me how many folks around here cancel a fish'n trip because it's not gonna be sunny & warm.

WTG Ben, you deserve every fish you caught yesterday :thumbsup_anim:

No huge fish, the biggest was about 35 inches and I didn't get a weight on it, but I'm guessing about 6-7 lbs.

Dude, my buddy caught a 39" pike that went 15lbs. 2 oz. I think your pike may have been closer to 10lbs.....unless it had a toothpick girth.

Great report and pics Ben!!! :thumbsup_anim:

The logo is s'posed to have '08 or 2008 to be legal... but after all, it is just a for fun tourney...

I plan to laminate my logo when we all the bugs worked out, until then I print out 3 or 4 to take because of wet fish and the likes.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! The first official Pike report of the spring and its a good one! Looks like you really cleaned house!Well Done!

nice fish man ....way to get them in the rain....a 35" being 7lbs ? must be skinny in the T.O harbour.....got a 35" in gbay last spring and it didnt survive so I weighed it and was just shy of 11lbs....guess really depends on the fishes shoulders and belly

Edited by snagmasteral

Awesome!!

Was that the only lure colour you've played with ?

PS

Thanks for not blurring out the background LOL

I used a couple of other colors... when the sun briefly came out I had to change the color up to get bit. I was fishing solo in heavy rain for the most part though...no possible way to get any better pics. If you were really perceptive you could tell the location of one of the pics lol I've used less to recognize some of SNAG's spots. :clapping:

Dude, my buddy caught a 39" pike that went 15lbs. 2 oz. I think your pike may have been closer to 10lbs.....unless it had a toothpick girth.

nice fish man ....way to get them in the rain....a 35" being 7lbs ? must be skinny in the T.O harbour.....got a 35" in gbay last spring and it didnt survive so I weighed it and was just shy of 11lbs....guess really depends on the fishes shoulders and belly

It was a fairly skinny fish...probably better than 7 lbs but without a pic and no girth measurement...well lets just say I don't wanna be the stereotypical exaggerating fisherman lol.

I caught a 38 that was 13 pounds at the Islands last year. This 35 fish had nothing on the one from last year as far as shoulders and belly.

2008 on the sign you say Irish? DOH...failure on my part to properly read the rules lol

I'll be out there again tomorrow, but with a waterproof sign :D

Thanks for the nice words everyone!

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels