Dipsy Divers

pameladallaire

There are different diameters of Dipsy's for you to pick from. Figure out the correct size for what your intended use is. They can put a lot of strain on your equiptment so make sure they are used with the proper gear, especially if using them at deeper depths.

Edited by Garyv

to get a diver down 30 feet, you'll need the number

-- Size 030 (2-1/4"/5.72 cm dia, dives to 20')

-- Size 000 (3-1/4"/8.26 cm dia, dives to 35' with "O" Ring)

-- Size 001 (4-1/8"/10.48 cm dia, dives to 50' with "O" Ring)

as was mentioned above, you'll need the proper equipment if you want to run either of the two bigger ones.

rod holders that aren't plastic (scotty, big jon). Down Easters will work best. Second you'll need a longer, stronger rod. Quantum Affinity makes an affordable dipsy rod at 10.5 ft. finally line counter reels are used most often, so when you do get a hit, you can try to mimick the amount of line let out......

finally, make sure your pulling them with strong line. personally i use 50lbs braid with 30lbs flouro leads (for salmon).....

but even if your using them for a more dosile fish, like erie walleye, make sure your using the correct tackle.....

have fun. dipsy's caught more salmon and trout for me this year than anything else on my boat.

dipsyhz0.jpg

Hope this helps Pam,

STeve

Thanks Steve:

My husband has his choice of rods from our living room display case. Also has a new counter reel and his new boat should have good rod holders, I'll check. No problem with the tackle. He likes using fireline. Don't know whether that will be the correct line. Thanks for the info.

Pam

no problem pam.

sounds like your husband is all set!

i've found dipsy's were my single most important tool when going onto lake ontario....the day i forgot my dipsy box i just went home....

the fireline sounds good. braided line is important so there isn't line stretch. the hits are very vicious with dipsy's, much more than a rigger, therefore the rod holders are important.

hope he has fun, and join him if you have the time....i've found nothing beats the quiet times trolling in open water.....