Spring Canoeing on the Moira and Fiddlehead Hunting(NF)

Ramble

Hello again,

I've been pretty busy since school ended on the 23rd of April. I managed to get some turkey hunting in with a close friend and then I was back in Peterborough getting everything ready to move to the new place for next year.

On the 24th however I managed to get out in the canoe with my g/f Dominique on the Moira River. We put in at O’Brian’s bridge (for those of you who are interested). As expected the water level was still very high, and most of the silver maple swamp as under water. It allowed for a rare canoeing experience that comes along once every few years, and we sure weren’t disappointed.

The current was strong and impressive to say the least. There were amazing debris lines, and pockets of calm water which didn’t photograph well but were VERY interesting to see in a river which usually has a different "face” to it.

May07016.jpg

May07017.jpg

After some paddling the main channel with, we entered the swamp and navigated about 200 yards back into the woods. Zigzagging through the swamp, with the birds singing in the trees, and the frogs singing in t he distance we paddled on.

May07027.jpg

May07026.jpg

May07025.jpg

May07024.jpg

After an hour of exploring in the swamp, we still hadn’t found the river bank, and so we headed back to the main channel.

May07030.jpg

May07032.jpg

May07034.jpg

We took our time popping in and out of the swamp, before pulling into a back-water and breaking out the ham sandwiches for lunch.

May07039.jpg

On the way back to upstream we spotted several muskrats, which were enjoying the high water.

May07037.jpg

May07040.jpg

High water marks.

May07041.jpg

After fighting the current back to the car, we packed up and headed out to check a few of my spring fishing spots on the Mighty Moira....not surprisingly, they were all underwater. We passed another of my minnow trapping spots, only to find that fiddleheads were well on their way to being fully opened. So we pulled over, I dug out my pocket knife and we collected a hat full for dinner.

May07046.jpg

May07055.jpg

May07063.jpg

May07044.jpg

It's a beautiful piece of land to say the least.

May07051.jpg

May07066.jpg

Three days later I was wrapping up turkey hunting with Jeff. He was heading out to Saskatchewan to guide their spring bear hunt the next morning before winding his way to B.C. to guide in the mountains for his 2nd summer. The other 2 guys we had been hunting with both ended up having an amazing hunt on the 3rd day in a different field. They both bagged beautiful Tom's at the same time. Jeff and I had only heard some gobblers, and saw a few hens.

That last afternoon we took a break from hunting and headed to the bush for a wander and to round up some more fiddleheads for dinner. I dropped him off at his place and headed home. I won’t see him again till deer season.

April27001.jpg

April27002.jpg

April27008.jpg

Creek Chub were making some reds in the gravelly areas.

April27006.jpg

Tempting Fate

April27010.jpg

April27012.jpg

April27013.jpg

April27015.jpg

April27019.jpg

April27025.jpg

Here is an interesting pic. The downed tree has adapted and the “branches” have become “trunks” and so life goes on. A nifty little trick that always brings a smile.

April27023.jpg

The end of April was great, and I'm now looking forward to some more nice weather with the fishing season beginning to open, before I head north for the summer.

I can’t wait to get the paddles wet again.

Tight Lines

-R-

some nice pics you got there. i am planning to head down the moira next week for the pike opener but i am kinda skeptical bec i saw the water from the pic that you took by o brien's and they are quite high dude. i usually go a lil furtherat vanderwater to fish. got any fishing spots at the moira you willing to share? he he.if not it's cool as well

love the fiddle heads man are they all over the place down there?

anyway i wish you all the best on your guiding at kesagami this summer

I never knew THAT's what fiddleheads were! I thought they were some kind of mushrooms --- how do you prepare/eat them?

P.S. great pics and report -- thanks for sharing :)

Edited by johnnyb

I never knew THAT's what fiddleheads were! I thought they were some kind of mushrooms --- how do you prepare/eat them?

P.S. great pics and report -- thanks for sharing :)

fry em up with some butter and salt. :thumbsup_anim:

Great pictures, thanks for the little adventure.

Now you've got my mouth watering for some fiddleheads :thumbsup_anim:

I steam mine and then top with butter and salt and pepper, mmmmm, mmmmm!!!

Joey

• 2 weeks later...
Fiddleheads are up, time for a fresh fiddlehead and speckled trout dinner.

One of my favorite times of the year, would add black morels to the fiddlehead,

speckie/crappie dinner around that time.

black_morel.jpg

Great photos and report,

ehg

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report! Those trees in the water remind me of Florida fishing. I wonder if it will start receding any time soon. I have to try those fiddle heads one day!

mmmmmm.....fiddleheads.

Just a friendly warning to those who do not know, one of the most common ferns in southern Ontario is the Bracken fern. This looks exactly like the edible ostrich ferns (tastes like them too), however it is poisonous to many animals including humans. It breaks down vitamin B in the body and the poisoning is said to have similar symptoms to radiation poisoning. I only know this because I picked a bunch and did some research before I ate them. Here is a pretty cool link (if you are thinking of picking some good ones) :

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/...fern/index.html