Most Productive Lure

MCTFisher9120

It varies with the type of water I am fishing and depth, surface weeds and lilies, fixed objects(wood) sticking above the surface or visible not far down a 1/4 ounce buzzbait, black, white, chartruse. Second choice is a bait that floats for a slower presentation, Heddon Torpedo, Smithwick devils horse, rapala floater, just something that may provoke neutral or less aggressive fish. A frog or lizard weightless has also worked.

A little deeper to 10-15 feet a plastic worm or lizard texas rigged, carolina rigged, or in areas with out much weed growth or snags on a jighead. Small crankbait, I am partial to Storm wee warts, no longer made or bandit 200-300 series, chrome black black or white.

Smallies overall, tubes. Green Pumpkin, white, watermelon blue fleck have worked well for me but I carry a mix.

Jig and pig, jig and grub, rattletrap, spinnerbait, no favorites, just tools, I try to have the right ones.

I'm mostly a Bass guy these days.

If I could only have one bait it would be a Senko or Yum Dinger type worm with some 3/0 hooks for LMBass and some football jigs for SMBass.

This combination would fish from top-to-bottom.

Now, if no one was watching the store, and I could add a second bait it would be a Chartreuse and White Spinnerbait

It fishes fast or slow and is a great search lure.

A Rattle-Trap type lipless crankbait would be number three. The worm fishes all levels, and the Spinnerbait has flash, but sometimes ripping that lipess bait through the weeds is what you need to do!

I'd like a jig&pig set-up, but I can catch those fish on a Senko and a football jig if I have to.

A shallow running square lip crankbait would be an nice addition for around wood and over weeds...

It will fish the same areas as a spinnerbait, but can linger longer since it floats-at-rest.

At this point if the tackle store is still open, I will take any Rapala or Lucky Craft crankbait and a #3 Mepps in-line spinner.

I would prefer Chartreuse/White or a Tennessee Shad type pattern for all these baits, but anything will do in a pinch.

Garry2rs

Guest gbfisher

Stay puffs for salmon fishing in rivers. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I couldnt resist.

Shmellows do work very well though for catching not flossing. Anyone who tells you different are the kind of people who outbid others and then don't pay. :devil:

Good fishn

I've had alot of success with many that have been mentioned above, but one lure that I don't recall reading about and is my "go to" recently are 1/4 or 1/2 bucktail jigs. Sometimes I rip them real hard, other times lightly jig them while swimming them back. Either way they are fantastic for both Bass species. A lot of different colours have worked for me, all purple, white jighead with green bucktail, and all pearl have done a great job on them (and pike too). I've become very very confident in the lure so I'm sure that helps a lot.

What's the story on Pink?

A couple of years ago I had great success with a Pink Fluke.

What part of matching the hatch do they come under?

I figured it was because I could see it so much better that I fished it better...

Garry2rs

What's the story on Pink?

A couple of years ago I had great success with a Pink Fluke.

What part of matching the hatch do they come under?

I figured it was because I could see it so much better that I fished it better...

Garry2rs

Garry,

At the sportsman show this year, I posed the same inquery with a tournament angler attending the event. Simply, he said, Pink was popular because of visibilty. Take senkos for instance, you cast 'em out there and watch them drop. A good indicator of a hit is if the bait disappears from view. Couple with a set of good polarized sunglasses, watching for strike on the drop with bright coloured plastics is a favourite tool of many tournament bass fishermen. White is also a popular colour in this regard.

Besides senko for LMB, I like a white/chartruse spinner bait, preferably double-bladed, tipped with a trailer and a 3 inch plastic twister tail. For SMB, tubes are great and occasionally a small crankbait.

reefrunner

Large mouth , small mouth ? pre spawn , post spawn , summer or fall ? shallow weedline or deep ? pre front, post front ,steady weather ? clear lake or stained , I can go on and on LOTS for a young guy to learn about bass fishing , FIRST thing you should learn is there is not ONE bait that works all the time . Learn about your prey and what there doing at different times of the year and than you should be able to put together a pattern of where they are and what they are doing and than choose a bait that suits the condishions .and if all else fails u try a marshmallow lol