Greencoachdog

I would be going nuts if I was waiting 6 weeks to get my boat back!!!

Did you have to mail it into them or something? lol

Sounds like they are so busy they can do without a regular customer, but you're right... make sure it runs :)

I hear alot of horror stories like this, a guy I go fishing with every year, took his boat in to the shop in April last year, get's it the long weekend in May, won't start.

Takes it back, get's it back the long weekend in July, won't start. Takes it back, get's it back for labour day, RAN LIKE CRAP. Took it back in wanted to go to Quinte in November... WOULDN'T START....

Do these guys even test the work they do sometimes? And man... talk about wrecking your summer... drive your boat 1600km's over the summer and only get to use it with the ELECTRIC TROLLING MOTOR... Poor Terry...

Did ya get it yet? She runnin good?

Hope she purrs like a kitten.

I went thru the same thing a couple years ago with mine. I took it to the only available mechanic, who told me he'd have it done in a week. I didn't get it for 5 weeks, and it still wasn't fixed. By this time, my regular mechanic wasn't so busy, so I took it to him and he had it all fixed up like new in 3 days!!! There is more to the story, but I need a long time to tell it.....LOL. Moral of the story is to find a good mechanic, and stick with him. If I had of waited for my regular guy, I would have had my boat in less time, and it would have been done right the first time. As soon as I told him where I had the work done, he just shook his head!! LOL He looked over the work that was done, and ended up tearing it all apart and redoing it proper........and the final bill was less than what I was charged from the first guy!!! I never did pay the first guy in full and I've never been back ......and never will......and neither will anyone I know/talk to.......and they never sent me a bill for the work they did......LOL. Brutal start to the season that year.......I don't know how you've stayed sane this long without it!!!!

Sinker

I would be going nuts if I was waiting 6 weeks to get my boat back!!!

Did you have to mail it into them or something? lol

Sounds like they are so busy they can do without a regular customer, but you're right... make sure it runs :)

I hear alot of horror stories like this, a guy I go fishing with every year, took his boat in to the shop in April last year, get's it the long weekend in May, won't start.

Takes it back, get's it back the long weekend in July, won't start. Takes it back, get's it back for labour day, RAN LIKE CRAP. Took it back in wanted to go to Quinte in November... WOULDN'T START....

Do these guys even test the work they do sometimes? And man... talk about wrecking your summer... drive your boat 1600km's over the summer and only get to use it with the ELECTRIC TROLLING MOTOR... Poor Terry...

its even worse when you have an outfitter to run and this happens..this summer my boss bought a brand new yamaha f150 that was to be used on my guiding boat, were about 7 hours from this dealer deep in the woods anyways we had to bring it in 3 times and wait 60 days to get the problem fully fixed, funny thing is duting those 60 days i couldent guide 6 people a day so we lost out on so much money..its going to court now but one thing most places dont do is test the motor out after work is done, all they do is put the prop in a garbage can with water rev it a bit and everything is ok...they should be forced to do a real test on a river or lake

Edited by carll2

Yes Dog you are doin the right thing keep the lip buttoned pick up the new boat and its time to look for another Mercury dealer.

I bought my 2 last boats at my current dealer based on service.

6 yrs ago I had a fiberglass boat with a 55hp Suzuki.One of my customers recommended a Princecraft dealer to me so I gave this guy a try .I show up beginning of April 2002 tell this guy I need the boat in 6 weeks tune up main motor but mostly need to get the kicker running.6 weeks later I show up we are sorry did not have enough time to service your kicker so off to Northern Quebec with no Kicker motor and very fast trolling speeds.

Now I am the kind of guy who gives PPL a chance so come the fall one of the parts guys offers me winter storage for the boat indoors but the huge building is being built.So the end of October comes no phone call from the dealer.So I call and he says the building is not finished we will call you well now its early November and no phone call so I say thats it this bozo is history I storm off to Wallymart and buy a huge tarp and store the boat at home for the winter.Now what this guy did not realize is I would have been a future customer for a brand new Princecraft.Well I switched dealers found a place that services Suzukis and now the rest is history .I bought my first Lund in 2004 off the 2nd dealer who has given me amazing service.Picked up my latest boat this week .

I see the bozo from the Princecraft dealer once in awhile at the boat show and I remind him why I bought my Lund it was because my dealer served me very well and quickly .Strike 3 for him was when I purchased a boat elsewhere.

The moral of the story is treat people well and they will return for repeat business.

Thats my 2 cents.Bozo lost out on 2 boat sales :Gonefishing:

MTP

the horror stories sounds like what 2 of my firends went through for about 3-4 years. Nobody services their particular outdrives locally so they have to ship them down to Seattle. After many trips back and forth with huge shipping costs, they ran several seasons with a completely unreliable boat and hated it. When they fish, they typically run about 50-60 miles out (so 120 return) and that's no fun coming back with one prop turning. They figure they wasted about $20K in those years with the shipping and rebuild costs so last year they bit the bullet and spent $50K on 2 brand new outdrives that can now be serviced locally when it comes time. That's a lot of money but they coudln't be happier because they love their fishing. Those were very miserable times for them and i'm sure they're glad it's finally over....except for the lawsuit with the shop that did the servicing. :whistling: