White Bass

livinisfishin

I caught a couple of them last summer/fall in London. Don't know all that much about them but they seem fairly aggressive and all the ones I have caught have been on spinners near the bottom. The few that I have caught have always pulled fairly hard and stayed down, no jumping.

My knowledge of them is almost limited to: They're not bass.

Sorry this was a poor attempt at humour. In some parts the sunfish vs bass debate almost rivals the walleye vs pickerel one.

bass are sunfish, whites bass are bass, walleye are perch, lake trout are char, rainbow trout are salmon. etc, etc.

Sturgeon River ..anytime after June 1st and before the 21st is a safe bet ...use live bait or a soft body ...spinner.... Twister....prepare to catch 100's per day averaging around 2.5lbs.

Not bad eating.

I believe that the world record White Bass still comes the Sturgeon River...not 100% sure if it still does but I know it used to.

The Nanticoke hydro station is full of them, been catching them there since the early 80's. Schools of them come in and attack a school of minnows, jumping everywhere its really something to see. Toss a Shad rap into them and you can catch one on each hook at the same time. And they are pretty good with a little fish crisp too.

Al

SpoonMaster lures

You can catch them by the boat load at Port Dalhousie Pier (east on at the end) in June. I use to do this when I was a kid (grew up close by) it was a lot of fun and the bigger ones are good fighters.

When I used to live in St.Catharines, this was an annual summer ritual :) Little cleo's worked great for them... We'd catch them almost every single cast, 100+ fish days easily...

So much fun.

Hell, maybe we fished together and didn't even know it!!! lol

I used to catch these tastey morsels in the french river. The ones we caught were never very big, but they were plentiful. We still catch them in Nipissing on very calm days. Watch for a major surface disturbance out in the main lake, approach slowly and start casting small spoons, spinners, small plastics, while keeping just within casting distance of the school. In about 10 minutes you can have 50-100, between 2-3 anglers.

Just like with most fish species, timing is everything. If you time the runs right, you can catch them all day long with very little effort. After the runs are over, they tend to go out into the main body of water, but some will stay close to heavy current areas.

I can catch them in georgian bay at this one spot every year, nice size sinker up the line a bit and a hook with a bit of worm on , and they just keep biting like crazy loads of fun to catch!

Alot of people get them confused with White Perch. We catch tonnes of them on Georgian Bay every year and thought they were white bass. Send the pics to the MNR biologist who confirmed that they were indeed White Perch, out in Severn Sound any way.

A pretty common species, member of the same family of fish as the Striped Bass, hybrid called wipers cross between the two.

They spawn here shortly after the walleye in the rivers off of Lake Erie and are catchable all the ice out season. Don`t do ice so maybe thru it too?

Seen White bass caught in the spring run up to about 20 inches years ago, haven`t seen them that big since, 12-14 inches or so and not often.

They like to eat smaller minnow and can travel in large schools, day and nite feeder, at nite around water front lights that attract bait fish.

As a kid we fished for them with a casting weight that was popper shaped and floated with 2 or 3 white bass flies attached to a leader on the back, simple deal the flys were a hook with a piece of what looked like wire insulation over a couple feathers. Usually some mix of white to imitate bait fish like the emerald shiner found in lake erie.

Other methods work though any smaller lure, rooster tail, mepps spinner, small crank bait, eg rattle trap, wiggle wart, small rapala. They will feed on the surface to bottom and usually aren`t far from the baitfish.

Not really my choice of fish to eat, but not into keeping fish much anyway. I will take a walleye or steel head over white bass. Fun to catch if they are big enough, just haven`t seen the size or number here like the old days.

Randy, I was fishing that particular spot last spring (long May weekend I believe) and they were there by the thousands as usual (suprized I didn't see you there) I guess you can fish there before June 1st because of the area being north of the CPR bridge.

The only major problem I encountered was the rudeness of the non-local fishermen (you know what I mean). Once they left town on Monday, it was like the good old days again.

I will be up there again this long weekend. Maybe see you there.

nuke

Randy, I was fishing that particular spot last spring (long May weekend I believe) and they were there by the thousands as usual (suprized I didn't see you there) I guess you can fish there before June 1st because of the area being north of the CPR bridge.

The only major problem I encountered was the rudeness of the non-local fishermen (you know what I mean). Once they left town on Monday, it was like the good old days again.

I will be up there again this long weekend. Maybe see you there.

nuke

YOU BET>>> We can jump in my boat..

Here is a photo of a white bass my buddy caught.

They get big in Lake Ontario.

IMG_0012-4.jpg

A white perch has a more greenish hue and lack of lateral stripes.

They are caught in Bay of Quinte often.

white_perch800.jpg

the pic on wikipedia of the white perch looks exactly like what i caught so as for without googling them ...no i couldnt tell the difference,thanks for all the responses