Rod and reel storage/ transport

kickingfrog

I've tried rolling the rods in a blanket and then using a gym bag for the reels. -worked ok

I've used hard rod tubes.- still need a bag for the reels and at most 4 rods fit in the case.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to transport my rods and reels. Storage at home (despite what my wife might say) is not the priority. We're talking mostly 2 piece rods, 4-6 casting and 4-6 spinning, in a 4 door car. What do you do?

First of all, I don't need to take 8-12 rods on a fishing trip.......that would be a PITA wouldn't it?

I usually take 4.....all one piecers.......and they go from the passenger floor, between the seats up to the drivers side back seat.....in the car. In the van I have all kinds of room......

Sinker

I picked up one of these bags from BPS for transporting reels and it works perfectly for up to about 6 reels . It's well made and has padding to fit between the reels.

Can't remember what I payed 3 years ago but it lists for about $20 US on their website.

I'd reccommend it.

62106.jpg

The first couple of times going to the cottage I would remove my reels and put them in "Crown Royal" bags. Using a small weight to keep my line going into a bait cast reel , or tie to the gate of a spinning reel. All my rods went into a big PVC tube that was made into a rod holder.

Now I am too lazy and just put them all into the truck or boat and go.

for my float rods i made a rod tube out of 4" (i think it's 4") white sewage tubing. i put a cap on the end using 2 part epoxy. in the cap i cut a piece of sponge so the tips wouldn't bang against the end. on the other end i put a "clean plug", which is an end that has a screw-in cap. easy and cheap.

for a handlle: place 2 hose clamps on your tube about 8" apart. attach a key ring to each hose clamp. get some rope and thread it between the key rings several times. now you can carry your tube. depending on how long your tube is, you could even get an old shoulder strap from a gym bad and clip it to the key rings. this doesn't work for the float rods because it hits the ceiling. when i put it over my shoulder.

your rod(s) may get scratched inside the tube. if you can learn just the very basics of using a sewing maching, you can get some old fabric and make a rod sock with a draw-string at the end. or maybe your aunt jean will be more than happy to take half an hour and make you several using some cute material with fish on it.

if you don't want to be bothered taking your reels off the rods, you can make some very simple rod pouches, which technically are the exact same as a rod sock, just smaller. i had some old fleece material lying around and made some for myself and a couple buddies. put one more hose clamp at the end of your tube and get an 8" piece of elasticized cord. tie a knot in each end of the cord. put each end under the hose clamp, tighten the hose clamp, and now you have an elastic loop at the end of the tube which you can put around the reels that stick out of the end of your tube, preventing your rods from falling out.

this is how i store and transport my rods. i hate posting photos here using iphoto, so pm me with your email and i can send you some pics.

good luck & good fishing.

I've been using Plano's Airliner rod caddy (model 4588) for at least 3 years for transporting my two piece rods on fishing trips into remote areas. For the same type trips, I've been using a Cabela's reel caddy (a soft sided carrying case surrounding 4 inch foam with cutouts for 8 reels) for the last 4 years. Very satisfied with both products.

+ 2 on the PVC tubing. Shove an old tea towel in the bottom and another for the top and your rods will be fine. I have an 8ft and a 4ft for all of my rods. As for my reels, I keep them in their boxes in a gym bag along with extra line, lube, etc.... I need something better and that reel case from BPS that Lew mentioned looks mighty fine.

One of the nice things about buying rods from Cabela's is they send them in rod tubes and you get them for FREE (my favorite word). I always use rod tubes if I am traveling with my rods and not my boat. If the boat is coming it has a VERY large rod locker that holds 8 rods PLUS lots of other stuff.

OK, I am now going to give one of my best secrets when traveling without my boat to protect my other gear (not rods). This is especially true when doing fly in trips but also if you are going with someone and have to really PACK the stuff in for space. I use 5 gallon buckets that have a good snap on cover to protect my "stuff". In the buckets I use clear Plano type storage trays for my lures, etc........ The 5 gallon bucket has always protected my "stuff" when others had damage from jamming in these to fit 10 pounds of carp in a five pound sack. Well you know what I mean :)

Best part is you can get 5 gallon buckets FREE (my favorite word) :)

I use the same type of reel case as lew does. All my good reels have soft covers on them, then they are put into the carrying case. I use rod tubes from St Croix for all my one piece rods. The material covered tubes are lined inside and have zippered ends that have soft sponge material in the ends. I carry all my rods in these special tubes and it saves the rods from damage.I have some old original HMG Fenwick two piece rods and I keep them in cases that can be locked. The cases were made by Fenwick and are fully lined, they saved my rods over the years. The cases can easily put into any car.

412AA1HN10L._SS500_.jpg Lcrt_med.jpg

Basskicker, You might want to think about tinting your windows.

Like Sinker, I've got all my one-piece rods from the passenger side floor, butt down, between the two seats. Get two elastic bands and tie up the tips and butts so the rods aren't all over the place. If I only have to put a 2 piece or 3 in the trunk, I'll remove the reels and put them in socks. Tube socks. White or grey, wool or cotton. The choices are endless really. The rods go on top of everything else.

frog,

Go to your favorite hardware store and score yourself some of that black PVC piping such as you probably see in your basement. Get it in 3" or 4" diameter (depending how many rods you want to store) and cut it to whatever length you need for your rods. You can also get a solid end-cap for one end as well as a screw-on end-cap for the other. You can get glue for that piping in the same section in the store.

Believe me! I never had a St-Croix become a St-Cry ever since I made a rod case out of PVC pipe. :thumbsup_anim:

For my reels I have an empty Sony Video-8 case that I picked up at a yard sale. It protects them very nicely too.