Rust on tools

Tinman

I use SOS pads on mine but thats why I asked if they were chrome or straight.

I had some snap-on wrenches that cost me huge bucks that I ruined with SOS pads.

Day old rust comes off with polish....if they are chrome dont use anything rough or it takes the

finish off them

Steel wool or SOS pads will also break down and you'll imbed steel that rusts even easier into your tools. I 'd suspect a few days after a rag soaked in any light lubricant will tackle the light rust and leave a barrier coat at the same time.

If you'll use your tool every day, it'll never get rusty! B)

Ditto. Tools are made to be used. They get some rust on them occasionally. They'll be fine. Now if you're talking about a box full of Rapalas, I'd be concerned.

A guy at my work would leave some tools outside 24/7 in an area where he would cut trails in the bush for biking so it would just be easier for him to leave them there rather then lug them in and out all the timel. We got talking one day about this degreaser spray they use as mould cleaner on the injection moulds. We were talking about all of its extra uses, and he told me it takes the rust right off of the tools he would leave out there. Not to sure how effective it is but he swore by it.

Same company that makes this stuff but its a blue can that we have at the plant.

809211.jpg

A guy at my work would leave some tools outside 24/7 in an area where he would cut trails in the bush for biking so it would just be easier for him to leave them there rather then lug them in and out all the timel. We got talking one day about this degreaser spray they use as mould cleaner on the injection moulds. We were talking about all of its extra uses, and he told me it takes the rust right off of the tools he would leave out there. Not to sure how effective it is but he swore by it.

Same company that makes this stuff but its a blue can that we have at the plant.

Better be HPP's or Waltec's stuff that's "walking" out the back door...and not mine! :dunno:

The more important question is why did they rust. You must of put them back wet or they are kept in a area that has high humidity. If you clean them off and store them again like last time your rust will return. WD-40 is a very inexpensive and very effective way to prevent rust. I has protected my firearms that are kept locked in a safe in my basement for almost 40 years with no sign of rust on any of them.

Go to the nearest Krown Rustproofing Centre and buy a spray can of Krown(T40 0r T32) cost about $7.00 a can,

spray and wipe, excellent lubricant and rustproofing , no smell. works on trailer winch etc too.

"BREAK.AWAY" by CYCLO is also a great product but has a bit of smell if you keep the tools in the house.

been told that wd-40, has to be reapllied after because it evaporates

I have heard ALL kinds of myths about WD-40, some good some bad. All I can say is I am speaking from experience not what someone told me about the product or what someone else posted on the Internet about it. I have pretty large collection of firearms and some really never get out in the field but they are all in new condition using WD-40 on them for almost 40 years now. Sometimes I think it's other gun oil manufactures spreading these rumors.

What I like to do is take a small rag (a cut out pocket from a pair of jeans works great) and just keep spraying it WD-40 until it is soaked with it. I just keep using that same rag for years to wipe down all metal parts of my guns never leaving a finger print on them and my basement is not the best place to store guns but this has worked for me. I also use it as a lubricant because it is very thin and doesn't freeze up under cold condition while hunting. I have a very small can of WD-40 in my boat and my truck.

There is a old saying "If it ain't suppose to move, Duct tape it. If it's stuck and suppose to move WD-40 it" :)