1. 1. Which Outboard Brand is Best?

• Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Mercury
    • Suzuki
    • Honda
    • Yamaha
    • Other

Come on folk wake up 2000 hours is a full time job 40 hours x 50 weeks or a full year, I don't think he's from Florida.

What do we need to wake up to... I've been in the boat and read the smart craft gauges ! :dunno: Wasn't quite there in early October... but of course the season wasn't over yet either !

60 to 70 hours a week from May to Dec.. Don't need to live in Florida!

Edited by irishfield

Come on folk wake up 2000 hours is a full time job 40 hours x 50 weeks or a full year, I don't think he's from Florida.

Actually, he works 7 days a week and much more than 8 hours a day. The 2-3 times I was out on his boat last year we were out a full 12 hours each day and the motor ran all the time we were out there. But, I don't think he needs to justify that to anyone cause the man just doesn't lie.

I have owned all 3 brands at one point or another ( Evinrude, Merc and Yamaha ) and have to say that my lst 2 Yamahas are simply bulletproof.

May not be the fastest but they will never leave you out there on the water and have never had one breakdown yet!!

hi guys i have a harbercraft 20 foot and i bought it with a 150 hp suzuki four stroke...24 inch stainless steel prop...boat does 60mile per hour with 2 people in the boat...the motor is so quiet you cant even here it running when your at the dock...many times you get out of the boat and forget to turn it off...i have always had mercs and was really hesitant to buy the suzuki but after alot of research...the suzuki won..the 150 hp is 175 cubic inches it at the time when i bought was the lightest 150 hp on the market....thats my thoughts hope they can help...ps i was told that the new evenrude is supposed to be the best engine out there...thats for this year..every year someone else is on top....

I saw 56mph on the GPS and 55 on the Smart Craft gauge... just before I blew the side curtain windows apart (3rd day of ownership! Warrantee replacement!). I wasn't anywhere near red line. The couple times I had the full top off I forgot to give it a good trimming run to see what it would do. Don't think it will make 60.

I forget for sure.. but I think that's a 14.25" diameter prop.

Edited by irishfield

I saw 56mph on the GPS and 55 on the Smart Craft gauge... just before I blew the side curtain windows apart (3rd day of ownership! Warrantee replacement!). I wasn't anywhere near red line. The couple times I had the full top off I forgot to give it a good trimming run to see what it would do. Don't think it will make 60.

I forget for sure.. but I think that's a 14.25" diameter prop.

thats awesome,great package forsure

Well one thing is apparent, when I buy my boat I am NOT gonna say one word about what brand of motor I have on it.......

We need Lew on this thread to put out the flames!

No problems on the make of motor

But....... It had better be a console :w00t:

Hi Mazing,my point was,all manufactured products are prone to human error

As far as stats, as a client once said to me one morning

"If your prop aint turning,you aint earning"

I have run 150 optimax's up to 1200/1400 hours on a single season(Good probability that in 15 years the main compressor for the fuel pump bearings may wear) ,Opti's growl like no other

Verados 1200 hours,their Tanks (yet to have any failures)

I also sold my last OMC with somewhere between 6000 to 8000 hours (it was also the 60 degree engine which has been in production for 30 plus years),other than changing a power pack every 2 years,it ran perfect like a tractor

To be quite frank,other than maintenance and few evident wear downs on each manufacture,I was quite satisfied with both North American manufactures

In any product the quality remains on the % of human error

The last human on earth that was perfect,they put on a cross for it

I have not seen an Outboard made by man on a Cross yet :w00t: t

Edited by marc thorpe

No problems on the make of motor

But....... It had better be a console :w00t:

Hi Mazing,my point was,all manufactured products are prone to human error

As far as stats, as a client once said to me one morning

"If your prop aint turning,you aint earning"

I have run 150 optimax's up to 1200/1400 hours on a single season(Good probability that in 15 years the main compressor for the fuel pump bearings may wear) ,Opti's growl like no other

Verados 1200 hours,their Tanks (yet to have any failures)

I also sold my last OMC with somewhere between 6000 to 8000 hours (it was also the 60 degree engine which has been in production for 30 plus years),other than changing a power pack every 2 years,it ran perfect tractor

To be quite frank,other than maintenance and few evident wear downs on each manufacture,I was quite satisfied with both North American manufactures

In any product the quality remains on the % of human error

The last human on earth that was perfect,they put on a cross for it

I have not seen an Outboard made by man on a Cross yet :w00t: t

Ah Mark you too light for a tiller you would be blown off the back in an instant.Whats with the side console you prefer the full wrap windshield.

I have to admit trolling at 3 to 7mph with a tiller is brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i meant pitch not inches and i found out its a 23 pitch and my gps showed 58 mph...the boat is a harbercraft and yes it is lighter than most boats its 19.6 feet and nothing to it but aluminum 1.90 gauge and no wood in this boat or carpet or plastic ...just aluminum..very cold boat....but smooth as silk on the water...i have owned many boats in my life all aluminum and i have to say this is the best boat by far ive ever owned....so i do appoligise for my mistakes on prop info and total speed 58 mph not 60mph .....friend of mine has a lund baron with a 150 yamaha...he cant keep up to me..boat is bigger than mine and i guess alot heavier.....the 150 suzuki on my boat is the same size as the 175 suzuki.....same size just less horsepower....

I just bought a 25 HP Merc 4-stroke from Cabelas Bargin Cave. I never thought I would buy a 4-stroke but I couldn't pass up the deal I got. A new 2006 (display model) for $2,425 US. New retail is $3,400. So far I love the motor. It's quite, runs so smooth & it sips gas compared to my old 2-stroke.

I just bought a 25 HP Merc 4-stroke from Cabelas Bargin Cave. I never thought I would buy a 4-stroke but I couldn't pass up the deal I got. A new 2006 (display model) for $2,425 US. New retail is $3,400. So far I love the motor. It's quite, runs so smooth & it sips gas compared to my old 2-stroke.

Zib you are going to love the 4 stroke world let us know how its going as the season progresses. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Mike the Pike