Generators

Entropy

Good Day,

I bought a TQ 3000 watt generator at walmart yesterday. I plan on using it only for emergency power for my sump pump and possibly freezer, perhaps at times my sewage pump or well pump.

I relize I could only power one pump at a time with this generator.

It says it's a 3000 watt max and 2700 watt continuous.

Does anyone know if this brand is crap, or will it meet my 'emergency' needs.

Do you have one ??

Edited by Entropy

Make sure you break it in properly (5-10 hrs), & use a variable load , e.g. toaster-add a blow drier-then add a 500w work lights, etc.. Once broken in change oil. I replaced with synthetic. Run stabil through engine, fill tank & Fog engine. - Ready for a rainy day...

It may do the trick.

Give it a try and see how it performs in an emergency.

Our company sells the Guardian line. (We sell units up to a monsterous 3000 kW).

More expensive than what you purchased except the bonus is that you don't have to be home to start it up when the power fails. They run on both Natural gas and propane.

We sell gas and Diesel units but they are noisey and require more maintenance. However, they are portable.

Edited by SNAG

The only thing I'm very concerned about is my sump pump, I understand that this gernerator will power that, but if the power outage was to last longer I'd like to be able to power my sewage pump (once in a while), I can get water from the lake in the winter and have a wood stove. So....

Only problem is my sewage pump is out in my yard - underground - so I couldn't run an extension cord to it. Any ideas on how I could power this sewage pump ???

Entropy

you would need to hook up at the breaker

I don't have the fancy thing that starts the gen and runs the house all by itself in a power outage

but what you can do is

run the gen to the breaker box and hook it into a 220 set of breakers

when there is a outage turn the main breaker off any breakers you don't want to run off and the breakers to the gen on start gen...

I have fridge and lights and tv and fan for my furnace running..I turn off the hot water heater and a few other things....if I want hot water I need to turn off fridge and a few other things once the water is hot turn the breaker back off....in summer if I turn everything off but lights..I can run the air conditioning

when power is restored you turn breaker for gen off in the panel and main poer breaker back on and you are good to go..if that makes any sense

They aren't too bad but depending on what engine it has on it, servicing them can be a problem, getting parts for some of the less known brands can be a problem. DO Not fill it up with gas and leave it sitting until you need it. Gas only has a shelf life of about 4 weeks and then it starts to break down, the most common problem I see in our shop is stale gas. The other problem we have seen a lot of with generators is the coil failing, we probably have 6 or 7 of them right now that we can't get coils for. Not bad when you consider that there are a lot of them out there but it sure doesn't help if you bought it a year ago and only used it once, the warranty is up, and you can't get the parts for it.

Fuel stabilizer will help a bit but nothing replaces fresh fuel. I work on small engines everyday and EVERY can of gas that comes to my house has stabilizer put in it right away no matter if it is getting used in my boat, trimmer, chain saw or lawn tractor. Although most stabilizers will claim to keep gas good for up to two years, I try to make sure that I use mine within 6 months.

Get an electrician to hook it up to your pannel for you and as Terry said you should have no problem, there are even automatic switches available that will automatically cut the power from the generator if the main power comes on but they will probably cost you more than the generator did. Your best bet would be to talk to SNAG and see what he can do for you, better to spend a bit extra and have something that will do the job, I am a big fan of propane generators, less problems with fuel and if there is a majour power outage and gas pumps aren't working you are still likely to be able to get propane.

If you do decide to stay with what you have just remember that after you finish using it, drain the fuel tank and then start it and let it run until it is out of fuel, that will help to prevent the carb from getting gummed up and costing you for repairs. It will also help to make sure it will start when you do need it.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions, let me know.

Not all generators of that size range have both 110 & 220 volt capability. If yours does not have a 220 volt capability don't try to run 220 volt motors on 110 volts. Most sump pumps are 110 volt. Freezers are also generally 110 volt. Sewage pumps I'm not sure on. Home well pumps can be either 110 or 220 volt. Most submersible well pumps are 220 volt.

At least try it with your sump pump and see if it'll actually run it.Some equipment will have a surge start that's higher than what you have for watts.I found that out with a coleman 1850 that wouldn't even turn my furnace motor or power washer.As it turns out the receptacles are supposedly rated for 15 amps but the unit had a 12 amp circuit breaker which kinda DEFUSED any real use.OK for lights,a radio,small fridge,power saw as long as you don't force it,charging your boat battery when you're camping.If you use an extension cord for anything use a 12 gauge size outdoor cord to get the best out of your unit.

Kerry

Hi, I would hire a qualified electrician to install. During the icestorm of '98 Hydro workers were complaining about people hooking up generators and turning them on, sending power back out of the house into the power grid. In fact I believe you must hire a Building Code qualified electrician to do the work. If I'm not mistaken, it is now illegal to perform any work that falls under the new Building Code without being properly qualified.

Forgot to mention, my neighbor has a 5,000watt peak unit and ran his furnace, fridge, sump pump and a few lights with no problems during the ice storm.

Edited by ChrisS

Excellent point Chris, I hadn't even thought of the issues with feedback, you could even end up providing your neighbours with power if your main breaker wasn't opened and you had your generator running not to mention giving some poor hydro worker quite a shock.

Thanks for the advise guys. All equipment I have mentioned is only 110 v.

My unit only has 110 v and does not have the option of 220 v.

I have looked up some of the switches for the pannel to hook up the generator to and it looks like I'd be looking at $130 plus instal.

I only paid $250 + tax for the generator, so I guess I'll leave it at running extension cords, and not be able to power my sewage pump.... I guess in the worst case I could dig it up and power it with a cord (back to the plastic bag in a milk crate in the garage !!).... lol

Entropy

You should still be able to power it through your pannel, just make sure that all the breakers (inclufing main are turned off except yjr one that connects to the outlet you plug the generator into and the one for the pump, the generator will feed power back into the pannel and any other breakers that are closed. No need to run any extension cords.