Tracker Boats?

Wendel

my friends tracker is at the factory getting re-welded. the hull cracked . if there going to be run in hard water i would buy a lund.

HAHAHAH oh why bother everybodys being so darned good ,cant go wrong with tracker,there many running up here in the hard water,Gerrits right on the money as well Polar Kraft makes a nice boat ,just sold a deep wide Polar last spring and am starting to regret it

It's a toss up right now between PolarKraft and Tracker. I really like the polarkraft when I looked at them a couple years ago.

Thanks for all the input, both good and bad everyone, I'll keep everyone posted with my decision, and I'm sure there will be lots of fishing reports to come this summer!

Wendel did the PolarKraft you are looking at resemble this?

July07044.jpg

July07042.jpg

This is my boat when I first bought it... Barebones, I have done a ton of work to it to get it the way I want it :) I am having a blast doing it as well.

I love this tinny 17' with a 78" beam.... a nice stable boat.

Hope you can decide on what route you are going to go!

G

I bought my current boat, a Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850, in 2006. At the time a buddy of mine was looking for a new boat and I sold him my 18' 1998 Lund Alaskan with 50 hp Honda, bow mount and electronics for $10K. I paid about $16K for the boat new after adjusting for the add-ons which were of new vintage. So, you can do the math, it cost me about $750.00/ year to own that boat. Now this year my friend decided he wanted a new boat and resold the Alaskan for $9,250.00. It cost him about $400/year for the two years he had it. And the thing is as functional and looks nearly as good as the day it was bought. It will last another 30 years if this 3rd buyer takes care of it. What's my point? Two things really. You might want to consider shopping for a used boat. You will get more bang for your buck but patience is the key to shopping for a used boat. Second, if you buy a Lund, Princecraft, or other premium line boat you will get more at re-sale, and I think you might be surprised that the difference in initial purchase price between one of those and a Tracker is not as big as you thought; especially when you look at the total package cost. Remember, the boat is only one component. You also have the motor, accessories, and trailer. The biggest concern I'd have with the Tracker is weld cracks and subsequent customer service of which I've read a number of horror stories. I have no direct experience with them, although I have a friend that has had one for years without issues. I've been satisfied with my Crestliner, it is very fishable with lots of storage, but the ride sucks compared to the Alaskan and it isn''t a high-end quality boat. I think the best bang for the buck right now is Alumacraft. Just my opinion after visiting a number of shows this year. Good luck

Man can I identify with what you are going thru!!!

I looked for 2 years & bought my new rig last summer- Opening day for Bass no less!

you wilkl get great advice from many members here, but everyone's point of view is a little different from each other. Don't be afraid to ask questions. No such thing as a stupid question.....only stupid answers!

You need to make a list of what you want, versus what you need and then prioritze the list. Welded/riveted, 2 stroke or 4, single console/dual, etc. I thought long & hard about how I would most likely use the new rig by asking myself many ???. How much do I troll, as opposed to using electric troll motor? Wife & kids seating, stand up cover, etc? Waterski/tube towing? As well as many more. You get the idea. Daydreaming and viualizing are allowed as well as beneficial!!LOL. Get what you want for your price point and don't be afraid to drive. I looked from Windsor to Niagara & found mine in Port Colborne, no less! Never been there before!

I can't wait to get it out!!!!!

FT

Good luck!

Yeah, it's a real pain trying to find what you want in the budget you want it.

I looked at Crestliner, Princecraft, Lund... the Crestliner were in my price range, but not wide enough for me. Princecraft and Lund are just to expensive.

I ruled out Legend, not much bang for the buck compared to the Tracker.

So if I go with new, it's most likely going to be Tracker or Polarkraft.

I have considered used, haven't seen a deal I like.

Being my second boat, I am going to take my time, and I have no worries about if I will use it enough or not... I most certianly will :)

Wendel did the PolarKraft you are looking at resemble this?

July07044.jpg

July07042.jpg

This is my boat when I first bought it... Barebones, I have done a ton of work to it to get it the way I want it :) I am having a blast doing it as well.

I love this tinny 17' with a 78" beam.... a nice stable boat.

Hope you can decide on what route you are going to go!

G

No it resembled this...

http://www.polarkraft.com/pok178tc.html

I'd like a full windshield, and a top I can put up for those really hot days on the lake(I have two colours, white, and DARK RED lol)

:w00t: If you do go riveted check out Legend Boats. :w00t:

one link to review

and another

another

Everybody can say something good and bad regarding any product. It boils down to what you like personally. Lots of opinions around here about Tracker and Legend boats from both sides of the fence. What you will find are few bad comments about Lund, Lowe, Princecraft, Crestliner and Polar Kraft.

I'd be using it on Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie, and some smaller lakes up north, I like the width of it...

Last year I was only on the water 15 days, looking like alot more this year...

If you're using it on St. Clair & Erie then I would stay away from welded boats. I know 3 guys that have/had welded boats (Lowe, Crestliner, & Tracker) that got cracks at the welds last year. Welded boats are bad news on the ruff water that you get on St. Clair & Erie.

Welded aluminum doesn't like vibration or flexing. Boat companies went to welding because it cost them less for labor compared to a riveted boat. When you look at other riveted boats of the same size as that tracker you will notice that the riveted boats have a higher HP rating.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a Lund, look into Alumacraft boats. They are an independently owned company & you can get any brand motor that you want with it. I've been looking at buying the Dominator 175 or Navigator 175.

Edited by Zib

If you're using it on St. Clair & Erie then I would stay away from welded boats. I know 3 guys that have/had welded boats (Lowe, Crestliner, & Tracker) that got cracks at the welds last year. Welded boats are bad news on the ruff water that you get on St. Clair & Erie.

Welded aluminum doesn't like vibration or flexing. Boat companies went to welding because it cost them less for labor compared to a riveted boat. When you look at other riveted boats of the same size as that tracker you will notice that the riveted boats have a higher HP rating.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a Lund, look into Alumacraft boats. They are an independently owned company & you can get any brand motor that you want with it. I've been looking at buying the Dominator 175 or Navigator 175.

I like my Navigator!

My all welded TUNDRA seems to have no problem on St.Clair, Erie or Lake Ontario as I am passing all the riveted boats while sipping on coffee and wearing no rain-gear :clapping:

So what is the best truck to buy??? It is all personal opinions.

In my opinion - select a boat you like, ask questions and get opinions from owners of that brand and make your own decision.

Happy fishing in your 'insert brand here' boat.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I don't know if the Smokercraft line of boats appeals to you, but I enjoyed dealing with Can-Do Sports just south of Woodstock. It would likely be a short drive for you to the dealership, so what have you got to lose?

There is a Sylvan dealer in New Hamburg that I've spoken to, but never dealt with. (Sylvan is to Smokercraft what Mercury is to Ford)

There is also a Legend dealer in New Hamburg that a friend of mine bought a Princecraft from a number of years ago. He's now looking at a new boat and is not going back to this dealer. (I don't think they even handle Princecraft anymore) My friend has done a lot of looking around and is hoping to get a Lund.

I have bought parts in the past from Hully Gully without problems, but found some of their pricing a little high.

Have fun and good luck. Andy

LOL tracker has lifetime aswell, if this problem was as serious as people make it out to be i don,t think they'd offer lifetime on the hull.Also no one know's what leads up to these cracks as well, maybe not telling the whole story!!!Sometimes care and common sense are do.I,ve seen some pretty bad boaters in my time and guyz with new boats to boot, i watched a guy back in a dock once in a new crestliner and trashed the trnsome, his reply was oh well it's warrantied!! LOL

did someone say CRACKER????

lund...lifetime hull.......GARUNTEE'D

I have the bass version of the Tracker Walleye boat. The Tracker Avalanche DC. Best one I have owned so far. I have had a few. Warranty is very good. The new manager at Tracker Marine in Vaughan is a real nice guy. I love this boat cause its a little larger and higher that the normal bass boat and handles big water very well.

Edited by smalliefisher

did someone say CRACKER????

lund...lifetime hull.......GARUNTEE'D

It all comes down to personal preference after the research I did I decided a riveted hull was the best choice for me.

For me I would not like the idea of having to ship my boat back to manufacturer to fix a cracked weld and be without a boat for months and also worry about the repair failing again which I think would be a high probabilty.

With regards to lifetime warranties I would suggest reading the fine print as some manufactures only honor the warranty for the original purchaser and some only on certain components.

After reading this thread it is painfully clear that every welded hull will crack and have to be sent back to the factory, and there has never been a problem with any riveted boat.

One wonders why a 60 year old company like Crestliner even bothers.

Does anybody know anything about Fisher Boats? Was just checkin them out online. They looked alright.

Fisher is owned by Tracker Maverick. Tracker bought Fisher a few years ago, because of their welding technology (or so I was told by my dealer). If you compare some of the Tracker and Fisher models side by side they are identical (or at least they were last year) other that the colours.....I looked at both when I bought mine.

Bill

After reading this thread it is painfully clear that every welded hull will crack and have to be sent back to the factory, and there has never been a problem with any riveted boat.

:D

I think I understand your pain - I have owned many welded boats with out a single crack or failed weld. I have also owned riveted boats and only ever had one that popped about ten rivets because I had to make a run in 8 footers when I was caught on Lake Erie in bad weather. Welded, Fiberglass, Riveted - I don't care how they are made. If you beat them up they break. I did not see a single post on this thread where an owner said they had welds fail. I did notice lots of posts of someone knew someone or a friend of someone that had a weld let go. So it only seems that boats owned by friends or other people have problems with the weld. :rolleyes:

Wendel enjoy your PolarKraft, they make a very nice boat.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker