Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (NF)

Riparian

I was canoeing up past Point Au Baril two years ago and we camped on a rock island. Had the odd tree some brush and some long grasses.

While setting up my tent I heard the rattle. A first for me...I was actually stepping forward and I heard it, looked down and almost stepped on it with sandles on.... I had to fall the other way to aviod it since I was already stepping....

Scared the heck outta me. Also, we managed to scare it away since it was on the only pathway through a thorn bush to get from the water to out camp. It came back everytime to bask in the sun. Since we knew it was there I was only really worried about it getting in the tent or having my dog get too close to it... We learned to live with it there for 5 days....No issues...

Here is a pic I managed to get on the last day.....

rattler.jpg

Very cool creature...

Sherriff

Wow! nice pic, Sherriff! As a young kid on a summer camp canoe trip, I almost stepped on one in my socks, where the Gibson river meets Georgian Bay...had the same scary moment of being caught mid-step.

Yep, almost walked on one at Beausoleil Island main camp in the dark. It had been removed and tagged already. The rattler decided it would return just to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Out4Trout is exactly right. Rattle sounded like the noise a June Bug makes with it's wings. I have heard June Bugs before and have never had the hair on the back of my neck stand up but when I heard the Massasauga rattle I knew it was a rattle snake before I even saw it. They certainly don't sound like they do on t.v. The snake got another ride to the northern end of the Park.

Tom

Wow, that looks like a big one sherriff, I 'm in Pointe au Baril too, I think it's the rattle capital, I see at least 4 or 5 a year. The good thing is, they will let you know if there around, anywhere in the 15-20 foot rage you will hear them warn you and it's very loud, the only time people get bit is if they literally step on one or provoke it.

Here's the biggest one I've come across but I almost step on one every year, one struck at my mom last year in our drive way at night just missed her leg. this one was out in the middle of Georgian Bay in late October, it was so lethargic it was moving very slow and I handled it for a good 20 min, then when I let it go I lost sight of it in the water, looked at the back of the boat and she was wrapped around the transducer cable trying to climb back in. :)

gallery_322_145_79653.jpg

That's my thick musky net handle on the snake to give you an idea of how thick she was.

gallery_322_145_52520.jpg

Edited by GbayGiant

Good thing you put that topic title in, Lew would probably have throttled you, he cannot stand the sight of snakes.

None up in the Thunder Bay area for sure, but when I was Junior Ranger at Killbear PP, we often ran into them. Only a couple in the park, but we had our duties outside the park in the Parry Sound area clearing power lines, blasting algae in streams with high pressure water to improve walleye spawning habitat(cannot remember the river or stream names now).

One of the guys that was carrying in the gasoline powered water pump, which weighed a lot, he had his hands over his shoulders carrying it on his back. He almost stepped one one, and it rattled. Now, that pump weighed a lot, but he threw it 20 ft. one way, and he dove 10 ft. the other way, over top of the rattler :lol:

Sadly, the rattler didn't survive, we were 17 yrs. old at the time back in....................................oh.................................'76 :whistling: and one of the guys used a shovel on it.

:canadian: Hi guys. I guess not too many fellas will be comeing up to my small cabin up near Tobermory fishing this summer .Because I got lots of them.I swear that every rock or hole back of the lot has a rattler on or in them. Anyway the bruce penninsula has the best snakes.I don't mind them But I hate water snakes they always want into my boat. <_<

Those water snakes can be pretty aggressive. One time I was wading along in the Thames and two water snakes came out from some rocks and started swimming around me in circles. I must have stepped into their territory or something. They kept swimming around me and getting closer and then going underwater and coming up behind me. I really think that they would have tried to bite me if I had stuck around............which I didn't. :)

When I was about ten (35 years ago) or so we were in Spring Valley in Ancaster (near Hamilton) and there was a big fuss over a snake. My always clever brother thought it was a milk snake and went to pick it up until it lunged at him and started rattling (in that order).

Straight up, I saw it.

Wow, that looks like a big one sherriff, I 'm in Pointe au Baril too, I think it's the rattle capital, I see at least 4 or 5 a year. The good thing is, they will let you know if there around, anywhere in the 15-20 foot rage you will hear them warn you and it's very loud, the only time people get bit is if they literally step on one or provoke it.

Here's the biggest one I've come across but I almost step on one every year, one struck at my mom last year in our drive way at night just missed her leg. this one was out in the middle of Georgian Bay in late October, it was so lethargic it was moving very slow and I handled it for a good 20 min, then when I let it go I lost sight of it in the water, looked at the back of the boat and she was wrapped around the transducer cable trying to climb back in. :)

gallery_322_145_79653.jpg

That's my thick musky net handle on the snake to give you an idea of how thick she was.

gallery_322_145_52520.jpg

Fantastic Pics. I have seen over 100 for sure in the Pointe Au Baril area but have only had the opportunity to see 6 in the water.

On the topic of snakes and Pointe Au Baril, I remember swimming at the Hole-in-the-Wall (Pointe Au Baril, not Parry Sounds) and there was a 5 1/2' Fox Snake swimming about 10 feet from me. I am not afraid of snakes at all, nor were the people with me, but sure enough we all swam to shore like little girls in a panic. That actually startled me more then I would have imagined. You dont expect to see snakes that big up there, but I have seen about 8 LARGE Fox snakes in that area. Amazing to look at, not fun to be swimming beside. hahaha

Its funny....few years ago I told a freind of Mine there were quite few on the Bruce along the Sauble river, and some tribs, and he looked at me like I was nuts for fishing there LOL!

I've seen them several times before while hikeing back into some streams, and rivers I like to fish.

Now I tread carefully...

Never had any real close calls, but I've set them off before....hate that LOL!!!!

Just walking through the bush, and some tall weed, makeing my way down to the water dreaming of the fish I'm gonna catch...simply enjoying a sunny day, and all of a sudden that little Mirraca goes off and its close....

But I can't see it in the tall grass Yikes!!!

Stomach in throat, Heart pounding....and frozen as still as I could be!

Slowly walk back wards, and make a reeeeeeeeeely wide detour and continue on my way.

Then another time...

Same scenario, beautifull day, walking down to the water...hop over a fallen log and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

under the log I just hopped over LOL!!!

Didn't walk that same path when I cam e back :rolleyes:

But its funny as hell to walk behind that same buddy and randomly make a rattleing noise as he's walking in tall grass or over the rocks!!!

He freezes every time :clapping:

Next time I'm gonna bring a rattle!

I have came across a few over the years up at Cypress Lake on the Bruce.

Last year while speaking to the Park Warden in Restoule PP he told me there had been at least 3 confirmed sightings in the park. They were once native to that area and apparently are making a comeback.

But its funny as hell to walk behind that same buddy and randomly make a rattleing noise as he's walking in tall grass or over the rocks!!!

He freezes every time clapping.gif

Next time I'm gonna bring a rattle!

Yeah, that would be hilarious...

You know what would also be funny as hell? If a big fat dock spider ended up in your tackle box. :devil:

Fireball, cool pic. I see those up here too we call them puffhaters (not sure) but it's cool how they puff their heads out like a Cobra.

Still looking to see one, the kid and I trampled every log on Beauseauli Island one year looking but with no success.

Maybe this year. If anyone has a hotpot to share i would appreciate it and will not share it.

Daren, I'm surprised you haven't seen one up here before, your best bet is to look on the little back roads on a hot July/August day just before dark they come out and shed their skin on the hot roads, or take a walk in any bush around here and dig around enough around rock piles or brush and you'll get a surprise, there all over the islands too.

On the topic of snakes and Pointe Au Baril, I remember swimming at the Hole-in-the-Wall (Pointe Au Baril, not Parry Sounds) and there was a 5 1/2' Fox Snake swimming about 10 feet from me. I am not afraid of snakes at all, nor were the people with me, but sure enough we all swam to shore like little girls in a panic. That actually startled me more then I would have imagined. You don't expect to see snakes that big up there, but I have seen about 8 LARGE Fox snakes in that area. Amazing to look at, not fun to be swimming beside. hahaha

No joke, they are huge. I've come across a few of those as well, I remember this crazy carpenter I was working with one day grabbed a 5 footer by the tail, twirled it around like a helicopter and tossed it in the water off the dock. :lol:

I camped on Beusoliel Island near Honey Harbour last summer with the kids.

We didn't run into any rattlers ourselves, but park wardens caught and moved 3

of them spotted by other campers. We saw them on their way to the warden's boat.

Seems like this snake isn't so rare anymore.

About 15 years ago, a few guys, including myself, were camped on a small island

in a very remote area of Georgian Bay, just north of the Key River.

Lots of channels around the many islands.

We were running out of daylight and had to find a spot quickly to set up the tents.

Although we didn't spot any snakes that night, the place was littered with them.

Most were around the 2 foot mark in length.

I don't remember hearing any rattles, but the snakes were very agressive.

We cleaned a few small pike for lunch and the snakes were waiting for the scraps.

Tossed skins, guts, etc. in the water near shore and the snakes were diving after them.

Picked up the scraps and swam away. The next day, they must have sent out a singnal because

there were about a dozen swimming around our boats and cuising the shoreline.

We were paddling through a narrow, shallow channel between islands and a huge snake

swim right under the boat. I could see it's head on one side of the boat and the tail

on the other. Had to be 6 or 7 feet long and thick. This thing looked like it could swallow a racoon.

I'd rather take my chances with the bear that was sniffing around our campsite.

The big bruin swam across the channel towards us just after lunch. We all stretched out for a snooze.

Good thing my dad heard him, or he would have walked right up to the guys napping in the sunshine after lunch.

As soon as we turned in for the night, that bad boy came back. One of the guys heard a noise and looked out the tent window.

Freaking bear was right outside the window messing up out camp.

The bear didn't bother me.

Snakes and other reptiles, especially poisonous or ones that want to take a bite of your flesh, .....well. :unsure:

Let's just say there weren't any return trips planned.

We have diamond backs around here and I'm happy to say that I've never seen one in the wild. Been to the French and G-bay and never ran across a rattler. That's just one more example of two things that do not go well together ..... me and snakes. Instant pants fillers those things are.

I have warned most of my fishing buddies!!! That if they play a trick on me by putting a snake in my tackle box or lunch box, that we will no longer be friends, but that I will visit them in hospital once just to tell them "I told You so" Hopefully they will be out of there coma so I am sure they understood me.!!!!

I usually tell them the story about my co-worker that put a frog in my lunch box, on the first day of that job after seeing that all the guys were jokers, I warned them that I have no problem taking a joke but that my Lunch was off limit. That job was a very physical one and I needed my lunch for fuel.

One day at lunch I open my box and there is a frog in my lunchbox.I am french and for some reason that's the nickname they gave me(very original) So I look around and the guy across the table from me has a big grin on his face . So I reached over grabbed him by the collar and just walloped him one . Both of his eyes were black by the time he hit the floor. All the big bosses were sitting at that table with us, but my immediate boss got up and said that everybody were warned on my first day not to F&%K with my lunch and he showed them the frog in my box and said "Seems like this guy didn't listen.

Edited by wallyboss

I saw one of these out while fishing on the Thames a few years back. I later ID'd it as either a western or eastern hognose.

2385940249_6b3dd4f0b7.jpg

Thats a great picture of a rare Hognose, almost looks like a cobra.

ehg