Sunday Night Steelheading

ccmtcanada

With the crowds on the weekends, Bly and I decided to skip fishing during the day and head back to our night fishing roots....and I'm glad we did!

Got to our spot at around 8pm...waters were stained, but not too bad. By the end of the night, the levels had risen and the waters were muddy.

We drifted for over and hour before my float goes down hard! I start the fight and I can tell by the weight on the line that it's a big one. This took a few healthy runs before it finally came in. It measured 33" (ties my PB) and felt like it was around 15 pounds...nice and fat female that was released.

33inchcliff.jpg

Apparently I have the GCD cursed camera...taking blurry pics!!!!

Anyhow, after having a smoke and re-tying, I began drifting again. Second drift, the float goes down yet again! This one put up a nice scrap as well....taking off from one bank to the other and almost swimming right up on shore!!

fish2.jpg

At around 10pm, the last fish of the evening came in...the smallest of them all, but by far the scrappiest fish of the evening!

fish3.jpg

With the rain coming in the next 2 days, tribs will be blown, so I'll spend that time figuring out the settings on the camera! These pics really didn't do justice to how great they looked up close. All fish were released to swim another day....

Goodnight all...thanks for reading.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Congrats Cliff, that first female is BRUTE.

If only I could catch one more female this season...I happen to be almost out of roe and am catching nothing but males.

Well that isnt entirely true, the last two females have been released accidentally, anyone who fishes steel alone knows that beaching them, unhooking them and getting them into your hands while holding a 13 foot rod and a camera can result in a couple fish flopping back into the drink without permission...

Nice fish!

Well that isnt entirely true, the last two females have been released accidentally, anyone who fishes steel alone knows that beaching them, unhooking them and getting them into your hands while holding a 13 foot rod and a camera can result in a couple fish flopping back into the drink without permission...

Hence my post, LOL !!!

nicely done Cliff..That's a beauty of a hen !!!.....can't belive how much water conditions go up and down within hours !!! I envy you guys getting out there in the dark... I can't push myself to doing it, especially with some of the weirdos walking around in those parks....I have heard stories that make me think twice, these days. That and I am lazy :sleeping_02: .....

I can't push myself to doing it, especially with some of the weirdos walking around in those parks....I have heard stories that make me think twice, these days. That and I am lazy :sleeping_02: .....

Hey...we walk around there in the dark...you callin us wierdos? LOL.

Thanks for the reply....hehe

Apparently I have the GCD cursed camera...taking blurry pics!!!!

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Uh-huh!!!... What goes around comes around eh Big Boy? ;)

I told you you should have eaten that first Radioactive Brainwave fish a couple of weeks ago, and now it has infected the others!!! Don't bother futzin with the camera settings, build yourself a lead lined box to keep the camera in!!!

Don'tcha just hate mediocre pics of excellent fish? :angry:

There could be another explanation for the pics though... Bly was letting you pose with her fish (we all know it happens) and the guilt of it all made her twitch when she took the pic! (and we all know she never gets skunked!) ;)

Anyway, it looks like y'all had a good time last night... and good job on the fish!!!

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Uh-huh!!!... What goes around comes around eh Big Boy? ;)

I hear ya Glen...I've learned my lesson. You notice I didn't post anything on the boat launch threads??? LOL.

I'd have loved a nice clear pic of that first female, but since I knew she was being released, I quickly put her back in the water.

Thanks everyone....that first female was a rush to land...almost lost it down stream as it took off!

First, just to be clear....Bly caught all kinds of fish...just didn't feel like reporting on them. (yeah right....LOL)

Second, I suppose I could be a wierdo...how would I know?

Third, we use glow sticks that attach to the top of our floats.

Fourth, the creeks are blown now after the warm temps and rain today....hopefully by the weekend we'll be good to go again.

BTW....Carol.....what happened?? :dunno:

What can I say? :dunno: Just wasn't my night....

First, just to be clear....Bly caught all kinds of fish...just didn't feel like reporting on them. (yeah right....LOL)

It is going to be like that is it?? See if I let you stand in my spot next time! LOL

WTG Cliff