Last weekend Pike

Hi Guys,

Well I was quite embraced to post anything about that weekend here… well since I was asked what happned… I arrived at this certain water spot in Toronto waterfront around 9:30, started casting.. around 9:45 I had a follow… I was so excited that I actually saw the Pike!!

Well that’s about it! Oh yea then I moved around continued to cast, nothing happened except I caste my Top half of my rod (Shimano Convergence 7’) in to the lake!! Lol. Even though I hooked no fish, I have no regrets, I loved every bit of the trip, I will do it again.. I took all of your advice on lure and various suggestions and I am very thankful for all whom gave me their two-cents.

This Sunday I am planning to go by Frenchman’s bay to try my luck again ( with ONE piece Shimano Convergence) before the Pike season halts. Again, I hope, if I am lucky, I will see a Pike and return home with my rod!

While I was casting and minding my own business, two ladies and a guy walked by, with one lady pushing a baby stroller. When they were passing me, One lady in a pretty loud voice with a tone said the other “This guy is nuts, if he really wants fish, he should try the supper market” Now I am a pretty calm guy and I don’t get involved in pity bickering but I could not resist this one… So I turned around and said.. “Ma’m don’t call me nuts, you are the one who is pushing the Poodle in a baby stroller” … @#$%^&* yuppies :Gonefishing: (it was a real standard poodle sitting in there)

One a different notion, I just want to say, this Board and its members ROCK!! You guys are very helpful.

Anton

(I saw a Pike)

Edited by Anton

When I was downtown a few weeks ago casting for some pike, everyone I encountered were super friendly.. Asking what I was fishing for, and very surprised by my answers. All in all a fun 4-5hrs, to bad I didn't catch or see a thing :)

Dont worry Anton Im down there alot at lunch and after work , and I get alot of silly comments (do these guys think they are the first ones to use those lines , most times I hear the same stuff over and over , no fish there do they glow etc. etc. ) But remember the spot you had the follow , why is this spot different from others ? why didnt it bite , lure moving too fast too slow , wrong color etc. Try to learn from each trip, soon if you work at it you will be able to put together a pattern that will work for you . Its not about just throwing a lure into the water anywhere and hopeing to get LUCKY , lots to learn even on the days you dont get bit ... p.s. I love the poodle comment will remember that, lol

Great report Anton! Glad to hear you got a follow...makes the heart pound doesn't it? When I started steelheading the tribs for the first time last winter, I was skunked the first oh....10 times I went out!! Don't worry...success will come to those that get out there and fish!

Hey Anton,

Glad you got out there. As for myself, I got out on Friday and for an hour and a half after work last night. Didn't even get a follow, so consider yourself luckier than I. I did manage to wash a couple of my lures and test run some others I picked up at the sportsman show. Think I'll give her a try one more time before season closes up momentarily.

Better luck to you sir,

reefrunner

Hi Anton, with regards to losing half of the rod; when putting the sections together offset the two halves by a 1/4 turn, snug them together then align the eyelets. This should lock the sections together.

Keep trying for that pike!

Great story Anton. Well except for the rod tip bit but glad to see you kept your sense of humour about that too- the poodle remark is priceless :).

I'll second Capt. Bruce's about the follow comment - certainly worth going back there and try mixing it up both in lure and presentation (leaving a jerk bait like an x-rap just hanging there without moving so long you go nuts then give it a few pulls worked a lot for me last spring).

Thats hilarious! Who does that??

It's not that uncommon. I get asked almost weekly for a trailer or stroller to put cats and dogs in, sometimes even a basket. They get annoyed when it's not a flat surface for their pet on the inside. No kiddin' maybe that's because they are made for people?

Anton, great job on getting out there. Wish I could say the same. Keep up the great work.

hi anton,

i was also there on that day casting between the makeshift ice rink and the police station. started out around 11-ish started to get ice pellets on my dyneema, reeling in felt like running a saw through the guides. after 45 minutes of this i decided it wasn't worth losing my rod so i packed up.

i too had my share of comments and a particular one i remembered was from this couple: they come up to where i was setup and the man goes: "isn't it a little too cold to be fishing today?" then i say something like "well the fishies get hungry when its cold too". at this point they move to my right and i notice the lady was wearing a long trench coat and she was kinda wearing too much makeup. i go about with my casting and when i glanced towards them i see the trench coat had come off and the lady was wearing some daisy duke-hooters outfit and the guy was snapping pics of her.

so i thought to myself "hell, yeah if its too cold to be fishing now its never too cold for something like that"

Thanks for the report Anton. As many have said, at least you had a follow. I had not been fishing for about 20 years when I took the sport up again. Started fishing in Aug and was out many times a week, sometimes twice a day, skunked. Heard many comments "there are no fish in there" "why would anyone want to catch fish from there" and of course the ones that you could just barely hear...something to do with a woman fishing and the snickers.... I did my best to remember anything that I could from years past about fishing, taking note from anyone that would offer tips or advise, trying new locations but most importantly, I kept trying. One cold October night....it all paid of big time. Landed my first ever walleye.....33" 13lbs...will never forget that night. Keep fishing and you will catch em!

PS. If I could catch pike, I would gladly offer you any tips I had lol

Edited by bly

Thanks for the report Anton. As many have said, at least you had a follow. I had not been fishing for about 20 years when I took the sport up again. Started fishing in Aug and was out many times a week, sometimes twice a day, skunked. Heard many comments "there are no fish in there" "why would anyone want to catch fish from there" and of course the ones that you could just barely hear...something to do with a woman fishing and the snickers.... I did my best to remember anything that I could from years past about fishing, taking note from anyone that would offer tips or advise, trying new locations but most importantly, I kept trying. One cold October night....it all paid of big time. Landed my first ever walleye.....33" 13lbs...will never forget that night. Keep fishing and you will catch em!

PS. If I could catch pike, I would gladly offer you any tips I had lol

Thanks Bly, its good to hear encouragements like these : :rolleyes: