He Said....She Said - Tag Team Steelheading

ccmtcanada

He Said.....

I got to my spot on the trib at around 8am, and I was greeted with ice that had formed at the riverbanks, and mounds and mounds of slush coming downstream. I took a look and wondered how I was going to get a half decent drift going!! The waters had come down quite a bit over night and they were ultra clear.....not good!!!

I rigged up for slow moving waters and started drifting....well....I started casting and seeing my roe land on some moving slush. Ok, time to improvise!! About every 5th cast, the roe would actually get thru the slush and begin it's decent into the hole I was fishing. One time, the roe and float were on a perfect track when a faster moving piece of slush beached my float. As I watched my float, it suddenly went through the slush...and I thought, "huh...that's strange". As quickly as that thought came, my mind screamed to set the hook...so I did and what do ya know...FISH ON!! This one took me for quite the ride...peeling off lots of drag...trying to head both up and down stream! I try to land it, but the ice was a little to high for me to lift it's head and body onto it, so I had to let it run a bit so I could step on the ice to make myself a little landing section....finally, the fish came in...a nice female that crushes my old PB of 29". This one came in at 33" and weighed 13 pounds...taken on roe.

cliff33inch13pounds.jpg

As the morning progressed, the slush began to melt and the levels began to rise. I could actually see the fish in the hole moving around...and they were all big fish! They wanted nothing to do with my roe, so I switched up to a light brown/brown fly. With the waters moving so slowly, I was hoping that this change in presentation may entice them to hit. Sure enough, I set the hook again and I have what feels like another good fish on, but apparently I didn't set the hook well enough. It got off after about 10 seconds.

After that hit, they didn't want anything to do with it any longer, so I switched back to roe and I only managed to land a small 8 inch baby steelie. I took a look at what I brought...and decided on a nice white jig. I float that thru the hole a few time and suddenly, my float is slammed under the surface! I set the hook and a nice sized male begins fighting...really nicely at first, and after about 2 mintues, it gave up and came in nice and easy. This one tied my old PB....came in at 29"...took a quick pic and then back to swim another day.

cliff29inchmale.jpg

Anyhow, I had to leave at 1:30....so I headed back to the parking lot. As I'm packing my stuff away, I see a car pull in and say "Hey...someone else has a black Kia!" Out steps Bly...LOL. I gave her the roe that I had left over, and tag her into the ring!!!!

She Said.....

I received a surprise phone call this morning letting me know that I would have the afternoon off, thought about what I should do with my free time.....Fishing!! After taking the little one to school, I stopped at Tim's for some coffees and arrived at the trib at 1:30. Cliff was kind enough to let me know how the conditions were, pass me the net, his extra roe and offered me the camera before heading out, but decided against it...after all, my new cell phone has a camera.

First pool was still low and clear. Decided to start with roe, nothing. Changed up to a fly, nothing. Changed to a jig, nothing. Experimented with leader length, shot placement etc., still nothing. Ok, time to try another pool. While waking to the next pool that I wanted to try, I noticed that the water was beginning to rise ever so slightly and the colour was improving, this lifted my hopes. Adjusted my leader length and shot for the new pool and began to drift. First few drifts....nothing, next drift, float goes down, set the hook..missed it! Ok, change up and drift again.....FISH ON!! Fish is taking some nice runs, I remember that I have to land this solo, look for the net, doh! left it out of reach, oh well, I have beached a few before, I can do this. Managed to land it, figure I would try and take a quick shoreline shot and then release. I pulled out my cell phone, snapped a picture and released the fish. I check the phone to see how the picture came out......

1stfish.jpg

Nice picture eh? This should be a male, about 25-27". Have a little laugh at myself, make a mental note to take the real camera the next time it is offered. I snapped a few test pictures with the cell phone and went back to fishing.

Over the next hour and a half, the snow/rain began to fall and the winds picked up. Managed to catch 3 more, one being a new personal best at 31". Water had been rising slowly but began rising faster, figured that I had already caught more trout in one day than I ever had before, best to be safe and head home.

Did learn a few things today though......

- If you are going to use a net to land fish solo, remember to have it within reach.

- If you are going to try a shoreline shot, maybe unhook after the photo ??

- If you are going to use your camera phone to take pictures, make sure you know HOW to use the camera :whistling:

Overall, had a great time, went 4/4 on fish and 3/4 on photos

25" male....

25male.jpg

28" female

28female.jpg

My new PB at 31". I wish this pic did it justice...there was nothing in the shot for perspective!!

31male.jpg

Nice job guys, beutifull fish for the both of you...I am conviced this time of year with these temps you always do better mid day than at first light !!!...real jealous I can't get back out their till the weekend. From the looks of the forecast its gonna be blown by then. Hope for the best and see what happens later in the week.

Ah just loved that report and I am so jealous of you guys we can't see any bare land just snow here.

Really nice night pic Bly :whistling: .Congrats to both of youon new PB's and that puts Cliff ahead 2 inches on the PB Steelie.For Now :w00t:

One day I must give this a try but not much out my way.

:clapping: MTP

Ah just loved that report and I am so jealous of you guys we can't see any bare land just snow here.

Really nice night pic Bly :whistling: .Congrats to both of youon new PB's and that puts Cliff ahead 2 inches on the PB Steelie.For Now :w00t:

One day I must give this a try but not much out my way.

:clapping: MTP

Hehe Mike. When she got her PB, she had no idea at that point that I had caught my PB too....

She still caught more fish....but at least my pics are pretty and my PB was bigger...

Not that I'm counting....LOL :lol:

Cliff!... great report pics and fish!!! :thumbsup_anim: (I knew you could do it Bubba!)

Congrats on the PB!!! :clapping:

Bly!... :w00t::w00t::w00t: LAFF MY BUTT OFF!!! Excellently written report!!! :thumbsup_anim: Love the solid black pic!!!... and you're right, that last pic doesn't do that fish justice... looks like he could be actual size there (next time put your foot next to it when ya take the pic)

Another wonderful report by the Dynamic Duo!!! :clapping:

Cliff!... great report pics and fish!!! :thumbsup_anim: (I knew you could do it Bubba!)

Congrats on the PB!!! :clapping:

Bly!... :w00t::w00t::w00t: LAFF MY BUTT OFF!!! Excellently written report!!! :thumbsup_anim: Love the solid black pic!!!... and you're right, that last pic doesn't do that fish justice... looks like he could be actual size there (next time put your foot next to it when ya take the pic)

Another wonderful report by the Dynamic Duo!!! :clapping:

Thanks Glen.....usually do try to put something in the picture but after the first pic, I just wanted to be sure and get ANY pic lol

Great stuff you twos.. but can ya put a little more landscape in the pictures next time please! :P

Ok Wayne..I wasn't going to do this but here are some more pics....

Find that bonsai tree and you'll find our spot.... :lol:

tree.jpg

water-drop-116870.jpg

rocks.jpg

Edited by ccmtcanada

Awesome as always guys!

Are you going to be able to get out tomorrow? Ill be at the usual spot from around 12 noon untill the fish arent biting anymore tomorrow.

Hopefully see one or both out there!

Nope....the creeks will be SLAMMED with people...LOL.

Actually, we'll both be working...but we should try to get out this spring...would be great fishing and chatting with you!

nice work on the jigs,...not so much on the nets though,...unless your in niagara,..no nets...lol... or its cheatin them chromers!!! ...I think that spot is full of PB's this week,...;):whistling:

Edited by Uncle Milty

nice work on the jigs,...not so much on the nets though,...unless your in niagara,..no nets...lol... or its cheatin them chromers!!! :whistling:

We figure these are the same fish that swim by piers...so if nets are good for those guys.....

Netting them means they are not as tired as we get them out of the water sooner. Thanks for the tip though, but I think we'll stick to what we are comfortable with.

ok,..no worries,...its up to you how much you want to harm the fish,unless of course you arent returning it to the water.....after all its within your rights when you pay your $29 for a license.....just do everyone else and the fish a fovour and get a proper net for them steelies, if you feel the need to use one......fair enough ???...its a sad sad day when you cant take a helpful hint...regardless of all the kudos you get from your friends on this board,..it doesnt change the harm you may be doing becasue you dont want to do it right,...becasue you see guys at the peir hurting the fish,..does thast make it right? :wallbash: How many steelheaders do u see with a net? there is a reason,..do some research if you dont know what I mean,...on a creek that size,..there is absolutely NO need!!!

Edited by Uncle Milty