A Small Fixitup NF

Bernie

This past weekend I took the old pine boards off the ceiling of the dining room at the cottage. The reason for doing this was because it was never insulated and when the wind blew you could feel it inside. When removing the old boards a deluge of pinecones and associated debris came down with them. It was at least 4 inches deep on top of the boards. Geez....what a mess! Scooped it out with a snowshovel. Added the wiring in for the ceiling fan, insulation, vapor barrier and then the new pine. Air powered nailers work terrific for this job. Although getting a 12 ft board to stay in place while you nail it overhead can be a challenge. The ceiling fan was donated to us by my Mom who did some recent reno's on her house. I think it fits the decor OK but wifey hasn't given her approval yet. Still the trim work to complete ( that is the biggest pain).

P1020019.jpg

Lookin good Bernie! Good job on the fix-it-up... I know what you mean about trying to keep the board up while nailing... I tried doing that with a tree stand Hmmm hold the platform, now grab the nail, now grab the hammer, woops there goes the nail, try again and oops theres the plank falling down...

Hey Bernie

Looks real nice. We have the same knotty pine boards at our cottage, tried to take some off last summer and they were so brittle they just exploded all over the place.

Kinda had me thinkin, the cottage is very similar to a tinder box...

Great job.

Bernie - Great DIY on the ceiling. :thumbsup_anim: Loving the pine, very cottage friendly.

Not feeling the love from the ceiling fan...but you are the one who will have to look at it every day LOL.

Nice work and good luck with the wifes approval.

Very nice...but I don't know about the fan...I just don't know...she'll know what I mean. hahaha just teasing, or maybe not :w00t:

Now isn't that just like something a woman would say? :w00t::jerry:

Not feeling the love from the ceiling fan...but you are the one who will have to look at it every day LOL.

Ha. Well around my place in order to improve somewhat on everything all at once you have to make financial sacrifices and go with what you can get.

On a cottage that is sneaking up on a 100 years old there are lots of things needed.

That 4" of pine cones and debris WAS your insulation. Overhead work is a pain in the neck... literally!

Air nailers are the cats azz!!!

Ya there probably was a little insulation value there Glen but when the wind blew it went right through it. :D

Didn't get a sore neck though. But one board, one drink, one board, one drink maybe had something to do with it. ;)

Nice job Bernie looks great!

I know what you mean about the trim...I did the sunroom in my cabin a couple years back.

Was not looking forward to doing the trim work, then amazingly my dad offered to go up by

himself and do it for me.

Very long story short, my usually very careful and meticulous dad managed to sever 4 fingers on his left hand using the table saw..

Like I said long story behind this one but bottom line surgeons managed to reattach his fingers (thank god) and he's got a pretty wild story to tell at dinner parties :) .

looking good Bernie... Leave the trim for the next time I come up... I'll have it done in about an hour :) Besides it is a great excuse for me to give the Wife... "Hunny I am going up to Bernies... He needs me to trim out his cottage for him!"

LOL

G

You may want to ensure that however those pine cones and debris accumulated can't do so again. Did critters drag it all in or did it somehow get blown in?

As an electrician I wouldn't recommend having wires run through an area that will build up with tinder-like material. Know what I'm saying?

You may want to ensure that however those pine cones and debris accumulated can't do so again. Did critters drag it all in or did it somehow get blown in?

As an electrician I wouldn't recommend having wires run through an area that will build up with tinder-like material. Know what I'm saying?

Squirrels...dang squirrels. Should be squirrel proofed now. The stuff above had accumulated in the past. Hopefully no more.

Thank you for your concern Bonghitts.