Cannon Ball weights

2 tone z71

I just bought a pair of new mag 10's, and I still have to pick up the balls and 6" pedastals (man are they expensive!) , and retreivers. I will be running 8 pound balls. I was thinking of using bricks to save some money, but hey, I have already went this far ;)

I just bought a pair of new mag 10's, and I still have to pick up the balls and 6" pedastals (man are they expensive!) , and retreivers. I will be running 8 pound balls. I was thinking of using bricks to save some money, but hey, I have already went this far ;)

I was gonna surface mount mine ,whats the reason for the risers and whats the retreiver for grabbing the ball ??? they look to be like great riggers,8lbs sounds good what are they worth

I have a feeling that with my luck, when I reach to retrieve the weight/line from the water, I will end up swimming. And knowing whom I'm with, they probably won't swing around to pick me up. So the retrievers will prevent from taking that unexpected swim, and perhaps save a bad back if you have one. I need to lift the units up so that the rods have enough clearance in the holders where I'm mounting them, and at the same time to save my back. I know it's only 6 inches, but I believe it will make a big difference. I can flush mount them as they are and they will clear the gunnels ... but I want them lifted. From what I see, balls are anywhere from 20 to 60 bucks more or less, depending on the design.

I have a feeling that with my luck, when I reach to retrieve the weight/line from the water, I will end up swimming. And knowing whom I'm with, they probably won't swing around to pick me up. So the retrievers will prevent from taking that unexpected swim, and perhaps save a bad back if you have one. I need to lift the units up so that the rods have enough clearance in the holders where I'm mounting them, and at the same time to save my back. I know it's only 6 inches, but I believe it will make a big difference. I can flush mount them as they are and they will clear the gunnels ... but I want them lifted. From what I see, balls are anywhere from 20 to 60 bucks more or less, depending on the design.

cool I like that idea I may have to look into them,thanks

"I have a feeling that with my luck, when I reach to retrieve the weight/line from the water, I will end up swimming. And knowing whom I'm with, they probably won't swing around to pick me up."

In the days of sailing ships sailors wore gold rings so that it would be worth stopping the boat and coming back for them if they went over the side. Maybe you should invest in some jewelry.

Disco Phish how are ya planning on wiring them,are you gonna conceal the wire and use quick connects or just rough it

It would be ideal to connect them short to a panel so that they can be taken out easily. You wouldn't want to run the wires under surfaces where it will be too much of an inconvenience to disconnect if you want them portable. Eventually, I would aslo like to loop the switch at the dash and have control of them at 2 locations. I haven't looked into that yet.

In the days of sailing ships sailors wore gold rings so that it would be worth stopping the boat and coming back for them if they went over the side. Maybe you should invest in some jewelry.

Interesting to know, I have actually never heard of that. That's a wise insurance policy to invest in. Hope the sailors didn't wear too much that it them sink faster than they could be saved. Too ironic!

DP - you may consider running a bar across the back.

It provides a combination of practicality and safety....

Bar_Back_Small.JPG

Excellent suggestion SS. I was thinking about that and wish I could, but the boat we have is already small enough (16 foot Princecraft). I thought about the idea when Irishfield was explaining his progress on his mounts. Unfortunately we would need a bigger boat, because we are having a hard enough time making our space resourceful as it is. Great job on yours! What do you think about this Z71?

....I've used a number of cannon ball styles over the years and I'm partial to anything not round.

I picked up a pair of these in black (10lb) last fall and but have yet to try them. I've no doubt they'll do the job. I wouldn't hesitate to go 10lb or even 12lb as I find 8lb to be just a little light.

Well 8lb are not too bad if you are not running deep,i use 10-12lb,thats the most common weights,for salmon & bows on lake ontario,8lb balls will track to far back,when trolled deep,and wont give you a true dept,also the io & 12 will almost be sraight down,making it possible to see on some graphs,mine pick them up just perfect,so thats something to consider too,as well as what you have your riggers mounted too,you dont want 15lb balls on a 2 inch thick transom,it will pull your boat apart,so theres some things to check for sure !!!!

im gonna mount mine on the flat pads on each side of the transom I can get my hand in there so maybe hopefully ill be able to thru bolt them,then on each side im gonna run a 12 V disconnect for each rigger and neat up the wiring,I think after reading the last few posts ill stick with a 8-10 lbs ball dont wanna rip the back of my boat off lol

000_0634.jpg

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

I too got pair of new Mag 10 HS recently and just mounted them on my Lund yesterday. Boy do they look nice.....pictures to come shorlty when finish all installations....

I've been using 10 Lbs so far but am planning to switch to 12 Lbs for the new season to minimize the drag.

By the way Mag 10'S are rated for up to 20 Lbs. so plenty of room to move up.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

10 lbs are good

use 12 is your running a temp probe to minamize the blow back

when possible & practible, try to mount all the down riggers & rod holders on the corners & the side gunnels - try to leave the back wide open to allow plenty of room to net fish

Don't use anything less than 10 lb balls. The stress is really nothing on the boat however, when I first mounted my Cannon down-riggers 23 years ago I was also concerned but I have no problems after all these years. Again go 10 lbs minimum.

BTW use SWIVEL MOUNTS. This makes it very easy to rig as the ball can be swiveled into the boat. This is really important on rough days.

Edited by Billy Bob

Don't use anything less than 10 lb balls. The stress is really nothing on the boat however, when I first mounted my Cannon down-riggers 23 years ago I was also concerned but I have no problems after all these years. Again go 10 lbs minimum.

BTW use SWIVEL MOUNTS. This makes it very easy to rig as the ball can be swiveled into the boat. This is really important on rough days.

thanks they came with the swivel mount that will work great

Cannonball weights depend on depth typically

up to 60ft deep 8lb

up to 100ft deep 10lb

100+ ft deep 12+lb

the heavier the cannon ball, the less blowback you'll recieve

also need to go heavier if you're running a down speed probe...

as for rigger boards/risers... i can custom make them for you if you'd like...

i've done a bunch for people...

samples of my work:

Rigger5.jpg

Rigger4.jpg

Rigger3.jpg

Rigger2.jpg

Rigger1.jpg

July2dLarge.jpg

Brian.jpg

BJtoS10TrippleAssy.jpg

Sample.jpg