new unpackaged lures

forrest

I sometimes find people selling lots of 10, 20 or even 50 lures, brand new, out of the package and have bought a bunch of Rapala's and Rat-L-Traps and my non-expert eye thinks they are new.

How do these items end up being released from the manufacturer without packaging?

forrest

Five finger discount?

HH

Or they are perhaps knock offs. Check the hooks, sometimes great copies will have very poor quality hooks. I got burned a couple of years ago. I changed the hooks and they are great lures.

Wow, everyone seems to be of the opinion (or knowledge) that the lures are either knock-offs or stolen.

Well one of the bare lots I did get was a set of 30 Rat-L-Traps ( a very easy package to copy). I compared it to one of my originals; hooks and all looked authentic.

30 would be a lot to steal and this dealer sold a lot of boxed and un-boxed items.

perhaps a second look is in order?

forrest

I know a local fishing store buys lures straight from the manufacturer in japan and he gets them cheaper if he buys them unpackaged .. He gets a box of lures and a box of packaging and he packages them himself ... says it saves him quite a bit of money !!

Some people buy direct. I buy from 5 different sources that are the Manufactuer. I dont steal them. Companies have to jack up the price when adding hooks, packaging, advertising and so on. I get my baits without the frills. I dont take the box with me and it does not end up in a landfill.

Didn`t mean to imply it`s all stolen, just something to be aware of. Haven`t seen many knock offs here. Guy at the flea market with a regular both buys up the closeouts from store, pennies on the dollar I guess. Zoom 6 inch lizards are like 2.39 a pack here in stores, he usually has them for a buck, Rapalas 4 to 8 bucks in stores here 2.50 to 3.50 usually at his both. Mustad wide gap BLN hooks around 3 bucks for 5 in stores here, a buck from him.

Deals out there, just have to look, and probably use a little caution at times.