Baitcast Combo

Reef Runner

Hello all,

I've been using spinning combos for everything and anything under the surface since I can remember. I am considering getting a baitcasting combo to play around with this year, but don't want to spend an arm and...well, sold my leg at the sportsman show this past weekend. lol. Maybe in the area of $200 for the combo taxes in?

Will have it rigged with PP 50# for catsing believers, suicks on Musky lakes and same line for sinking worms in deep cover on bass lakes.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I know people swear by the calcuttas, Abu C3's and the such but as I said I'm a newbie to the baitcast and want something inexpensive to dink around with. Reliability, castability for the application.

What rod legnth would best suit these applications mentioned above in one combo? Action type?

Does everyone baitcasting have the crank on the right? I think I would be more comfortable with the crank on the left since my spinning crank is on the left? Stuff to look for in part# for a lefty?

Had my eye on the BPS Pete Maina combo? Any users here? Comments are much appreciated to a newbie baitcatser.

Thanks a bunch,

reefrunner

don't skimp on a baitcast reel. you can get away buying cheap spinning but doing so on a baitcaster will lead to nothing but frustration and in the end, purchasing two reels.

Thanks Bassman!

The C3 does have some good reviews and I'm definately considering it as an option.

Found the 01 at the back of product codes means left retrieve so I'm good there. Many lefties out there? Like I mentioned earlier, my spin outfit retrieve crank is on the left so I'm assuming it'll be more comfortable on that side tossing huge cranks. I'm right handed, though, which always was a bit strange to me as most people I fish with prefer the crank on the right.

Rod action type? Med/Heavy or Heavy?

reefrunner

Abu c3 a good (reliable/castable) reel raf?

Are pete maina's no good?

c3 is just fine.

i've never tried a pete maina reel but they are righty only - i'm a lefthander myself.

The Pete Maina's are great value for the money. BUT, they are focused towards Muskie/big Pike. If you want something for bass, get another combo. Stick to at least a Medium/Heavy fast action rod for general purposes for muskies. It will be too heavy for a bass rod. If you want to target muskie, you are going to need specialized rods/reels, bass gear will get torn up pretty quickly. Also for muskie, stick to a minimum of 65lb braid.

I bought 2 6500 C3 @ C Tire yesterday then stopped @ Tremblays tackle box on the way to my sisters and picked up a Shimano Curado on a Shimano Compre baitcasting setup,really liking the Curado/Compre setup cant wait to try it ,good luck with your search ive got a Quantem tournament edition baitcasting set that I used maybe 4 times you can have for 100.00 if ya like

Thanks for the offer 2Tone, but I'm still in the early research phase. However, I might take you up on that kind gesture in due course.

Saw some baitcast's at this weeks sportsman show and I knew if I would've hung around longer than I did, I probably would've been walking out with something that I was uneducated about.

How much did you pay for your a single C3 at CTC?

reefrunner

i just got back from Aikman's to get some new drag washers for my C3 and Calcutta 250, which i use for muskies.

I asked the guy (didn't ask his name) how the C3's were in general and he said the metal of the gears is quite low in quality and especially with throwing big lures it's gonna wear quickly. On the other hand he said my 14 year old Calcutta has much fewer problems...actually just bearings if they get rusty, or the antireverse bearing(?) might begin to have some play.

my C3's still okay as it's on my secondary muskie rod.

anyway, that's what i do when i visit my trusted mechanic. i ask him which cars he fixes the most and make a mental note not to buy those models...

my suggestion would be to get on ebay and look for a used calcutta or daiwa millionaire cvx or cvz. i think you can get lucky and find them around 100 bucks.

and my C3 doesn't cast anywhere close to the smoothness of my calcutta. the calcutta is a proven and timeless reel. much better constructed IMHO.

good luck on your search.

The Curado is such a smooth reel, it costs an arm and a leg but if you are using big baits its worth every penny. Cant go wrong with an Abu if its your first Baitcaster. I have had my 6500 UC for about 6 or 7 years now and nothing is wrong with it. I love it as much as my Curado. The Calcuttas are really fine too. I just picked up a C4 at BPS last weekend only cus of the price. Its my spare for......well I didnt really need it but I bought it anyways.

RR, as a start, with $200 to spend, I would get a 6501 C3 and a Bass Pro brand muskie rod. For your $200 budget you could even swing two Bass Pro brand rods, a 7' MH and a 6'3" XH. You are covered for pretty much anything you want to throw that way and they even troll quite well.

The reel should be no more than $89 and you can find them on sale for less than that. The rods are $39 a piece and they go on sale for $29 at times.

I am not a serious die hard muskie guy but this set up ( I have 2 6501's and 2 rods) has done me well for 3 seasons.

John

Thanks for the offer 2Tone, but I'm still in the early research phase. However, I might take you up on that kind gesture in due course.

Saw some baitcast's at this weeks sportsman show and I knew if I would've hung around longer than I did, I probably would've been walking out with something that I was uneducated about.

How much did you pay for your a single C3 at CTC?

reefrunner

reefrunner the C3s are on sale half price reg 150 on for 74.00

Ijust bought 2 c3 6501's (o1 means its left hand retrieve) at CTC for 74 bucks each . I didnt really need these ?? BUT Im a sucker for a half price sale Got a jiffy power auger and two reels ??? now I got to hide them in the garage so the wife dont ask WHY WHY WHY lol ..

Ijust bought 2 c3 6501's (o1 means its left hand retrieve) at CTC for 74 bucks each . I didnt really need these ?? BUT Im a sucker for a half price sale Got a jiffy power auger and two reels ??? now I got to hide them in the garage so the wife dont ask WHY WHY WHY lol ..

Tell her you're devising a winching system for taking out the garbage. The power auger is ideal for planting shrubs around the house and burying garbage that doesn't get winched. ummm.... Is she blonde?

Tell her you're devising a winching system for taking out the garbage. The power auger is ideal for planting shrubs around the house and burying garbage that doesn't get winched. ummm.... Is she blonde?

I'm told that they dig a pretty mean post hole or two................especially if she is blonde

I got two 6501's for the sale price of 74.99 . These were the last two reels they had (they didnt have any righties ) thats why I bought them I had gone in to get the hut and came out with the auger in stead and when I saw the sign in the reel case I grabbed the two reels allso lol NO hut tho they didnt have any left lol Was wierd tho I had to have the manager walk the reels up to the cash ??? dont know why this , they let me carry the 265 dollar auger but not the reels , never bought a reel from CTC before the guy said this was store policy or something wierd????

I got two 6501's for the sale price of 74.99 . These were the last two reels they had (they didnt have any righties ) thats why I bought them I had gone in to get the hut and came out with the auger in stead and when I saw the sign in the reel case I grabbed the two reels allso lol NO hut tho they didnt have any left lol Was wierd tho I had to have the manager walk the reels up to the cash ??? dont know why this , they let me carry the 265 dollar auger but not the reels , never bought a reel from CTC before the guy said this was store policy or something wierd????

Yea it is funny... I they lock up anything in teh cases with padlocks and bags... funny how tehy have to lock a slingshot band and small multitools or knives but if you go down to the camping section or tools you can get a machete, or sledge hammer, axe with no problems... ohh well Store policy was their answer to me aswell...