Baitcast Combo

Reef Runner

Can't go wrong with an Abu C3. There cheap, bulletproof, and great for multi species applications.

I use a 7-7.6 foot rod primarily for pike and bass. It can double for a musky rod, if you are only planning to use 1-2 a year.

Good luck!

I agree and I just seen one on sale here at Canadian Tire for 79 bucks. I use mine for Trolling, and heavy duty still fishing for big Muskies and Jack. It casts good enough for me.

One thing I'll mention about the Maina rods is that there is a hook holder hole in the trigger that seems to weaken the trigger. Many of the rods at BPS had the trigger broken right off. My partner patched up the hole himself and the rod has been excellent!

Anyone else had trouble with this type of trigger with the hole in it?

thumb_22.jpgthumb_16.jpg

Looking for the 6501 but so hard to find!

How long is CTC gonna have the sale for?

reefrunner

Might be a bit out of your way but the CTC in Port Perry had a load of them when I visited this afternoon. I don't know if one store would ship it to another for you?

BPS had a tone of 6501's C4's but not sure about the C3's. The C4's were only $90 after tax. Great deal for a spare or an occasional use reel.

If you are going to use it all the time try and convince yourself to spend a little more, you wont be disappointed and it will last a lifetime

Don't buy the 01 unless you're left handed!

There is a reason why right handers use right hand reels.

If you are right handed, it is easier to learn on a right hand reel. Trust me you will have less problems.

PM me for more information.

Abu C3's are okay, I have owned several. IMHO, they are not strong and require a lot of TLC.

An Abu would not be my first choice as a baitcasting reel.

The Pete Maina rig is excellent value for the money, if you talking a first Musky rig.

If you want a more all around bait casting set-up PM me and I will help you.

Garry2rs

Thanks for your input everyone.

Bought an Abu 6501 C3 at CTC, but it was $94.99 (half off $189.99); Did I get jipped for $20? I checked with the store manager and said it was the right price. Those who got it at $75 walked away with a bargain. Anyway, it's a real beaut...couldn't put it down and I'm happy with the purchase. Oh, and I did end up getting the 6501(left retrieve) just because that's what I feel most comfortable with.

Paired it up with a BPS M/H 6'6" two-piece, wanted the 7" but it was a one-piece and I need to break it down for travelling.

Now I can't wait to christen it with it's first ski!!!

A big thank you to everyone weighing in and helping me make an educated purchase; the first fish caught/released on the rig will be dedicated to the community.

reefrunner

Don't buy the 01 unless you're left handed!

There is a reason why right handers use right hand reels.

If you are right handed, it is easier to learn on a right hand reel. Trust me you will have less problems.

PM me for more information.

Abu C3's are okay, I have owned several. IMHO, they are not strong and require a lot of TLC.

An Abu would not be my first choice as a baitcasting reel.

The Pete Maina rig is excellent value for the money, if you talking a first Musky rig.

If you want a more all around bait casting set-up PM me and I will help you.

Garry2rs

I am right handed Garry and still can not understand casting with the right hand and then changing hands to retrieve. Especially when you are burning baits across the top of weeds.

01 series all the way for me..........

It's a decent price Reefrunner but I was under the impression that the MSRP on that reel was $139.99.

I think I got a good price on it. You know, I was under the same impression Roy and I checked the price with the store manager and all. It even had a sticker price on it for reg. $189.99. All in, I'm happy with it and I don't mind paying the extra fazools if it's a quality product.

Thanks again all,

reefrunner

I think I got a good price on it. You know, I was under the same impression Roy and I checked the price with the store manager and all. It even had a sticker price on it for reg. $189.99. All in, I'm happy with it and I don't mind paying the extra fazools if it's a quality product.

Thanks again all,

Now you should practice in the back yard. Basically read the manual, it'll say adjust till the lure slowly goes to the ground, etc, etc,etc. Practice with a heavy lure (weight) first. Here's a tip, when you cast, cast high, vice a line drive type cast till you get the hang of it. This is only if you never casted a bait caster before. ENJOY the REEL. Its been on the market a long time because it works.

Edited by holdfast