A good time for Pike?

From personal experience every time of the day is good for pike. I’ve had them bite at sunup and sundown, along with almost every hour during the day. They are aggressive predators that seem to be ready to chase or ambush any lure, at any time. That’s my opinion though.. maybe some others have some more specific advice as to when they’ve had luck on the Pike bite…

This time of year I would guess mid-day is best, as that'll give the water a chance to warm up a little. Later in the spring or summer, though, I've caught pike at all times of day. Never at night though, but I don't do much night-fishing.

Mike

From personal experience every time of the day is good for pike. I've had them bite at sunup and sundown, along with almost every hour during the day. They are aggressive predators that seem to be ready to chase or ambush any lure, at any time. That's my opinion though.. maybe some others have some more specific advice as to when they've had luck on the Pike bite…

I concur!!

This time of the year the main problem is finding open water.

This is Leslie Spit from milder year last year on March 31st. Pure ice still.

IMG_0003-4.jpg

This is Frenchmans Bay 2 days ago. People were ice fishing.

IMG_0002-16.jpg

But if you find open water the fish could be big and fat.

Like the pike i caught late March around noon about 5 yrs. ago in my avatar.

good luck,

ehg

This time of the year the main problem is finding open water.

This is Leslie Spit from milder year last year on March 31st. Pure ice still.

IMG_0003-4.jpg

This is Frenchmans Bay 2 days ago. People were ice fishing.

IMG_0002-16.jpg

But if you find open water the fish could be big and fat.

Like the pike i caught late March around noon about 5 yrs. ago in my avatar.

good luck,

ehg

Is that Fremchmans Bay in pickering? end of liverpool road?

I did a little Urban fishing this past weekend down in Toronto. Lots of the little coves are still ice covered, but there is open water.

I have a feeling the water is still to cold, but perhaps I am just fishing in the wrong places :)

For Pike I would say its all about location and not really much to do with Time of Day/Year. I know a lot of larger pick are caught using Moon Calendars and such but the time doesnt seem to matter to the rest of them. Look for some veg and some warmer/shallower bays at the north ends of lakes. Dont go out of your way to catch pike. They always bite.

For Pike I would say its all about location and not really much to do with Time of Day/Year. I know a lot of larger pick are caught using Moon Calendars and such but the time doesnt seem to matter to the rest of them. Look for some veg and some warmer/shallower bays at the north ends of lakes. Dont go out of your way to catch pike. They always bite.

well i got my Saturday booked for fishing, but still unclear about the location.. I just go tot he right place...I was initially thinking about Frenchman’s bay but not sure any more, Maybe Bluffs or the island, then again, this is my first run at the Pikes so have no idea. A coin toss is what I might end up doing on Saturday morning. lol

they can be caught at any time during the day, i have even caught them before the sun rises and after it sets while fishing for walleye.

the pike move into the shallows after ice out when they prepare to spawn. unfortunately that will probably be after March 31 this year. they used to be open all year on Lake Ontario, that was just changed in the new regulations this year. i used to catch pike at the mouth of Duffin's Creek when the trout start coming in at the end of march and beginning of april.

thought it was 10 45 :unsure:

u could try the toronto waterfront for i believe all those places are still shut

11am hits, I hunker down and concentrate on my retrieve... I'll balance myself on my heels over the edges and get into positive vibe fish mode. If anyone's went past me when I do this, I've been told that I look like a cat about to pounce.

And the inner harbour, she be open son. I'll be out tomorrow morning if anyone is down.

H to the D

11am hits, I hunker down and concentrate on my retrieve... I'll balance myself on my heels over the edges and get into positive vibe fish mode. If anyone's went past me when I do this, I've been told that I look like a cat about to pounce.

And the inner harbour, she be open son. I'll be out tomorrow morning if anyone is down.

H to the D

Thanks Highdrifter, if you are planing to go on Saturday as well, give me a shout

Thanks Highdrifter, if you are planing to go on Saturday as well, give me a shout

Looking at the weather trends for the week, tomorrow and Wednesday look pretty good. If the bite is on tomorrow, I'm talking the day off Wednesday!

Anybody interested should PM me!

H to the D

11am and 3pm for me. It's uncanny how that works actually... Must be pike happy hour here in the harbour then.

I would concur with those times. Had many multiple fish days for pike in early spring at T.O harbour at lunch time.

I guess the sun warms them into activity by that time of day.

If I'm fishing a know Pike lake and I don't feel like dealing with the snotty buggers than I fish EARLY. Pike like to sleep in so it seems - not much Pike action until 10-11am.

My experience only - you may encounter different results.

As with the rest I've found that pike will bite almost anytime. I find they're a little more active in the morning. That might just be because I do most of my fishing in the morning though. I don't know what they'll be after this early in the season, but I generally like to through spinner baits out for them, usually white and chartreuse work quite nicely. Pike are big time ambush predators, so fishing around weed beds and rock walls is a must. On Lake Ontario I like to find breakwalls around harbours. If the breakwall has a hole to allow boats to get out to the main lake this is a perfect spot for pike. They'll sit at the bottleneck waiting to ambush smaller fish traveling through. Not the best spot mid summer because boat traffic is sometimes really bad.

good luck with it, do enough bass fishing this summer and you're bound to hook on to a pike, you won't be disappointed!