Brookie techniques for the summer -advice needed

jat

I will be fishing the Haliburton area this summer and with the stained water and the disappearing act that these fish do I was wondering what you guys suggest in terms of lures, techniques etc. I don't have a fish finder so I will be fishing blind. TIA

Springs, Springs and more springs.

It is often said that during the summer months only 10% of the lake will hold 90% of the fish.

Slowly trolled spinners, Rapalas, and spoons down around 15'-30' in the summer have been a good producers for myself.

With no graph try to focus on points, or any areas with current.

RF

Dawn & dusk or the feeding times. Find places that hold baitfish..drowned trees, fast dropoffs & points. Daytime go have a swim, they shut down then. :Gonefishing:

Water temps are probably the most important thing. Thus the springs comment. Good advice. Oddly enough Danbo, high noon til around 2 pm is my best time. Perhaps that's because I don't get mobile until late morning. Works for me.

....Yep springs if'n you can find them. Stealthy approaches and light line tethered to a small heavy spoon or a hair jig for me (occasionally tipped with a small peice of worm) and allowed to sink down to the bottom then jigged back.

Depends on the lake. Smaller tannin stained lakes less than 30' deep will be easier to fish.

Classic spots like inflows and outflows, fallen trees, beaver dams and the like will all produce.

In the heat of summer dawn and dusk will most likely produce best.

Springs have been mentioned and are always a good bet if you can find them. Telltale signs are mist rising off the water in unlikely spots in early morning, and white clay lake bottoms which are pretty easy to find. Use a thermometer to locate the springs...

Larger deeper brookie lakes, many of which also contain lake trout, are a tougher nut to crack in mid summer, but will fish well all day once you've figured them out.

Brook trout have a very specific comfort zone as far as temerature goes and in these kinds of lakes it's usually found in the thermocline.

Drop a thermometer down at various depths and check to see at which depth the temps drop dramatically. That narrow band between the warmer surface water and the colder water below is where the fish like to hang out.

Once you've determined the depth precision trolling is the only way to go. Either with a small rod rigged with steel line or a mini downrigger. Lighter spinning tackle can be used in conjunction with a wolf river rig. Any of the usual spoons, spinners or small crankbaits will work. If the lake you're fishing has perch in it as many brook trout lakes do, make sure to try a perch coloured Shad Rap or original floating Rapala. (They're deadly :))

Edited by solopaddler

Lead line 3 - 7 colours .. flutter spoon (Mooselix) ... I prefer white or silver ... in the summer

May June or August/September ... any time of day ... on top in the morning/evening ... at the bottom/thermocline during the day ... SPECtacular time for me (big fish if not numbers) is around lunchtime ... DanC and I agree on that one for sure :)

a small egb spoon has always worked if brookies are around. the hammered finish, with copper colour on one side. the spoon that spins like a spinner. but if you cast it let it fall as far as you can because you have to real fast to make it spin properly. trolling has always worked best though.