choosing a line type

Radnine

Hi All!

I have a question about what line type to spool up with for the kind of fishing I do.

I generally fish inland lakes trolling and casting for Walleye, Bass and Pike. I would like an overall useful line for as many of the conditions that I am likely to encounter as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I assume you are using a spinning reel when pursuing your quarry. I would suggest Berkley Fireline Crystal in the 14lb test range. It has the diameter of 6lb mono with no stretch and no memory. The no stretch will give you instant feedback on light hitting walleye and without memory you will never have a problem with line twist or coiling (like a phone cord). It isn't cheap but will last much longer than mono. A 125yd spool will cost between $20 & $25. Money well spent IMHO.

Don't forget to tie a few yards of mono on your spool first and then tie the Fireline to the mono with a uni to uni or a blood knot. If you tie Fireline directly to the spool it will slip. Some prefer to put a foot of electric tape around the spool, then tie the Fireline directly to the spool.

Edited by jediangler

I would also recommend a braid. I use Power Pro 20 lbs on my spinning rods and 50 lbs on my casting/flipping rods. I still have some mono on some reels, but that will change come may. Once you use a braid, going back to mono just lacks feel. I'm also one of those guys that use electrical tape and tie dirrectly to the reel.

I use 10 lb Fireline on all my spinning rods, and will never go back to mono. I tie it directly onto the spool,then put the little piece of tape that comes on the spool over the knot. I have never had the line slip. I agree it may cost a little more but is definitely worth the extra $$$. I also tie on a 8-10 ft piece of Seaguar flouro 18lb leader material, just picked up a new spool of it at the fishing show yesterday.

Bring on the spring :Gonefishing:

Al

SpoonMaster lures

Edited by spoonmaster

I just use Raven Mainline mono made in Japan 6lb or 8lb green for everything. Braid not a fan of it, too many issues with it to list here. What I don't get about all the braid fans is why if it so fabulous why they almost always use a fluoro leader?

I fish live bait which is the main reason I use mono anytime I have used braid it seems to do more harm to the bait than the fish LOL.

I use braid, fusion and mono depending on the situation. I've tried larger braids like 30 lb and 50 lb test on baitcasters but prefer 20 lbs test now. For brook trout, I use 2 to 4 lb clear mono. Berkley Sensithin is great but no longer available. Silver Thread is a nice mono too. It really surprised me for its suppleness and strength yet not as elastic as Trilene XL.

I really like Mason Tiger Braid but tying a knot...even a palomar knot, can be difficult. It's a line made up of parallel microfibers inside a sheath of braided microfibers so when tying a knot, it must be carefully inspected with a magnifying loop to see if the outer sheath has been damaged.

For pike, all the lines get cut so I use a very fine flexible multistrand steel leader material of about 10 to 15 lb test. Some of this stuff has over 50 strands yet is as fine as 6 lb test mono. It is supple enough to tie knots. It's expensive too. I get mine from Europe and make my own leaders with a good swivel at one end and a good snap at the other end.

When I want to fill a reel with braid or fusion, I start out putting the amount of line I want on the spool then fill the spool up with mono backing. Then, I remove the lines from the spool using a drill and old empty filler spools and refill the spool by starting out with the mono backing and topping off with the main line. I use a small line counter to count the amount of main line I want to use. I often use only 75 yards of braid on a baitcaster. This way, I can fill 2 baitcasters from a 150 yard spool.

Edited by Dabluz

I only like braid on my finesse rods like my tube and walleye jigging rigs. For everything else I prefer Flourocarbon. It's strong, has a little bit of stretch (but not as much as mono), and is almost completely invisible in all presentations, so you don't even have to tie a leader in many cases.

I only like braid on my finesse rods like my tube and walleye jigging rigs. For everything else I prefer Flourocarbon. It's strong, has a little bit of stretch (but not as much as mono), and is almost completely invisible in all presentations, so you don't even have to tie a leader in many cases.

how do these braids stand up to abrasion? I'm a Berkely XT user and I dont like that my slip-float stopper frays my line when I slide it up or down the line. Would a braid be better or Flourocarbon, or stick with the mono???

how do these braids stand up to abrasion? I'm a Berkely XT user and I dont like that my slip-float stopper frays my line when I slide it up or down the line. Would a braid be better or Flourocarbon, or stick with the mono???

You have your stopper WAY too tight if its damaging your line. I run slip floats ALL the time, and never pull them tight!!!

I find Braid actually makes for a great bobber stop......if tied right.

I only use braid for musky.

All other rods are mono.

8lb mono is more than enough for most situations IMO. I use nothing but Berkely.....XL up to 8lb, and XT for 8lb or over. Always have....so why change now?

Sinker

You can do what you want and any opinions expressed here are just mine and not to be confused with fact...

I live in the Kawarthas and winter down south. I fish better than 100 days a year.

I switched to Powerpro in 2002 and use everything from 10 to 80 pound depending on the application.

Recently I received a free spool of 12 pound test Trilene Mono with a book...from NAFC.

I bought the book...grin, and put some of the mono on a very small Calcutta 50 reel that I wasn't using.

There is a very light G.Loomis baitcasting rod in my collection that goes well with the Calcutta 50,

so I have been using them to throw very small crankbaits for the last month.

The rod and reel are fine but the line...I can't believe that I used to fish with this junk!!!

Even in comparatively heavy 12 pound test, it's like fishing with a bungee cord!!!

I can't feel the bait, or the strike, if the bait stops, you pull 3 or 4 feet of stretch, wondering if it's a fish or a weed.

I know there are lots of places where mono is better...people on this board have told me so.

Water flea's, planer boards, down riggers etc...I don't go to those places.

As for the Floro leaders, IMHO it's mental masturbation...it doesn't do anything positive.

But sometimes it feels good.

There is a place for extra fine line and it has to do with current DRAG, but let's save that for another discussion.

I use 10 pound PP which is the diameter of 2 pound mono, with Senko's and have never felt that the fish were spooking from the line.

If you decide to try Braid, start with Powerpro, it is IMHO the best!

Forget Fireline...unless it's on sale. It's twice as thick as Powerpro of the same strength and starts look ratty after a few weeks.

I will give you a tip about all Braids...

Don't look at the pound test...Look at the equivalent diameter.

30 pound Powerpro is the size of 8 pound mono. Us it where you would use 8 pound mono etc.

If you were using extra tough buy at least the same diameter as you were using

If I recall correctly 10 pound XT is about the same as 50 pound Powerpro.

I started using Stren back around 1973, switched from the original trilene. I have tried other lines over the years, a new product, a deal, most didn`t turn out to be such a deal.

I tend to go with the Clear Blue Stren, I like to be able to see my line, especially for bass fishing. A lot of opinions on line, LOL like cars, boats. It has been predictable for me, I know what to expect from it, and no problems with it in a variety of uses.

Not much experience with braid, but a good enough feel with the Stren so I was in no hurry to switch.

A tip, if your fishing with a slip bobber or such in a weedy area a little floating fly line dressing spread on the line while it is being reeled in will make it float, helps to keep it from getting tangled in the weeds and helps to keep it visable. Always nice to know exactly how much slack you have out there.

You have your stopper WAY too tight if its damaging your line. I run slip floats ALL the time, and never pull them tight!!!

I find Braid actually makes for a great bobber stop......if tied right.

I only use braid for musky.

All other rods are mono.

8lb mono is more than enough for most situations IMO. I use nothing but Berkely.....XL up to 8lb, and XT for 8lb or over. Always have....so why change now?

Sinker

I use the string-type on the piece of straw....i just pull them tight and trim the ends, I dont deliberately tighten them down.

I've made up my mind i'm going to try powerpro this season on my jigging rod. I might try it on my float rod.. not sure about that one yet.

Thanks for the info

Have used Fireline 8lb test on Nipissing wallys for the last 10 years. I occasionally let a buddy try out my rod to show the difference from mono. I'm glad to get my own rod back because using mono to me is like fishing with a rubber band. When they are biting light its good to know you can feel it. I tie a snap swivel directly to the end, no leader and a jig with a worm. If I'm fishing in a jagged rock area I check for frays because it can happen, but its rare and its usually only the first couple feet. Trim it off, retie and go again. Gerritt gave me some Powerpro to try but I really haven't given it a proper test yet. I must say it looks like it will be alright as well.

I suppose there would be a good use for mono in some cases, might make a good sling shot. ;)

I used Firewire 20lb braid on my baitcasting setup at the French last Thanksgiving fishing for bass/pike. I noticed right away I could cast further with mono compared to the braid. However, the lure control was unreal, especially fishing Zara Spooks. I did notice that the firewire tended to fray a bit, and after a day of fishing, the first 50ft looked beat up compared to the rest of the spool. I think I am going to either try a different braid or flouro this season....

All my spinning rods have 8lb Berkley Sensation... extremely happy with it.