Fishing Related Jobs?

urbanangler1990

hey guys, im looking for a fishing store, or anything to do with fishing as a part time, or summer job. I have a SIN card, and really wanna start something, and suggestions, or tips, for this young guy, would be appreciated. I live in the Toronto area. I really wanna start a career in fishing in the later years...

Edited by urbanangler1990

Noticed alot of lodges are advertising now for summer help so would not hurt to look there. You would have to live at a lodge all summer but I think that would be an incredible experience. I am encouraging my son to apply to some up near the cottage at the French River. Here is a sample of one available there:

http://www.chaudierelodge.com/employment.asp

Also, drop a resume off at Bass Pro Shops - try and get your foot in the door there.

Edited by steve_paul

My impression is that fishing-related jobs are not easy to find, but I can imagine how rewarding they are for someone who is really passionate about fishing and about building a career involving fishing.

Hopefully somebody will have more help they can post here, but I dont think anything can beat contacting fishing stores, lodges, maybe even magazines with your resume and showing them your enthusiasm.

Good luck,

Mike

Yeah definately go get a job for the summer at a fishing lodge as a guide. Or even as a general chore boy, you still might get your chances to do a fair amount of fishing and shoot the poop with guests about fishing (depending where you work). I personally think that working outdoors, around actual fishing going on would be alot more fun than working in the retail end of things at a bait shop or something, but whatever floats your boat.

hey guys, im looking for a fishing store, or anything to do with fishing as a part time, or summer job. I have a SIN card, and really wanna start something, and suggestions, or tips, for this young guy, would be appreciated. I live in the Toronto area. I really wanna start a career in fishing in the later years...

I was just flipping through the latest issue of Ontario Out of Doors and in the classifieds there is an ad for Bass Pro Shops at Vaughan Mills for full and part time staff. You can apply online in the careers section at basspro.com or go into the store itself.

Some advice....

Retail is a good start, learn the industry a little bit... then..

Go to school! Period.

Take a business admin. diploma or one similair. Something that covers a few different areas of biz.. marketing, accounting, etc..

There are very few that make a living only on fishing in Canada. And the ones who do, are great at the above mentioned areas of business and have put their time in(years on years) to get where they are now. i.e. hosting a show.. well, thats the easy part. That is the tip of the iceberg of what goes on behind the scenes.

As for fishing, any free time.. get out. Time on the water or bank is priceless.

Anythig else, ask away, been there.. dun it in this industry(except for being a lodge guide).

Edited by Harrison

UBA1990,I'll pass on advice I received when I was your age ,maybe a bit younger who knows

I suggest you write Bob Izumi and ask for articles he has published about getting into the business and also ask Pete Maina for some pieces he has wrote. TJ from this very site would be an instrumental person to seek advice from his experience as many of the lodge owners that support OFC and OFC

Find the niche in the business in which you can fill or become the renewal or continuation of the industry,to many try and do like others and follow the road of redundancy.If you look closely their success is measured by how busy they are.Some more than others,most that remain busy is mainly due to the unique ness of their niche

You will find your niche by trying various aspects of earning your living in the outdoors in the multitude of business aspects that exists,whether retail,manufacturing,sales,development,outfitting,guiding or promotional or even internet outdoor promotions

Behind it all,the good parts,there's the business end which must be done although not always fun,you are young enough that with time you will build a firm base to your dreams,but as others say 10 to 20 years is not uncommon until you find stability in the financial area of it

although earning a living in the outdoors is a great way of life,it does not come without negativity,family life suffers,ones privacy is infringed,jealousy abounds and in many cases like the song goes :I walk a lonely road the only road that I have ever known,don't know where it goes but its only me and I walk alone"

Or "With a wife and kids at home with a job some where on some assembly line

I wish I had that life - I bet you wish you had mine "

Its a wonderfull way of life just be aware of what your person truly desires and live it at such

Edited by marc thorpe

I started to write a reply to this when I read Marc's post. In essence, it was very similar to what I had in mind except it comes from someone who is a professional and is respected in the industry.

The only thing that I can add is get as much education as you can. Then choose a career path that you truly love and can't wait to get up in the morning and get on with it. The education will serve you well in anything you do.

IF Bass Pro is of interest well OFC has BPS Man ,Roger who has alwyas wanted to work for Bass Pro,well he followed his dream and now is a employee,he might be able to assist you in what it entails to work in a large retail store ,Sam from Cara Outdoors is another person on this board with a wealth of experience also

like everyone else mentioned and pointed out get and continue good education

Edited by marc thorpe