Not To Keen On THe Taste Of Fish

TOM C

Thanks Tenne, Working at doing all the things, we should have done before, my problem is my age, the heart was still tough enough that the colateral veins you had, hadnt formed yet for me, funny thing is I have not taken a pill for the last 20 years(and I mean not even an asprin) now I take so many I could probally go with out eating and not get hungry. Lots of work ahead but should come out fine, I will talk to the doc about the gels you mention.

Funny how people think fishing is expensive, should see what it costs to keep the heart pumpin every month :wallbash:

Edited by TOM C

Try adding carrots to your recipe when cooking fish, carrots absorb the fishy taste and help remove it from the fish. Shoot the carrots out after cooking, don't eat them.

As for what doctors say about people health, these are the same people that got kids on all kinds of medications, because they have bad behavior. We think we have an unhealthy public now, wait till all these kids grow up addicted to drugs since they were 2.

Tom, you're on the Cardiac Cocktail and it does wonders. 30 years ago you and I would have been sent home with morphine to control our pain and our lives would have been shortened. By a bunch.

I spent 31 days on the water in NW Ontario in 2007 and most of our meals were heart healthy.

Knew someone once that also did not like the taste of fish. Her choice though was always Halibut if she was going to eat fish, probably one of the mildest of all species and has the least fishy taste of any salt water variety.

My list:

• halibut
  • Haddock
  • Pollock (this is the fish that is mixed in with crab to make fake crab legs as it has no distinct flavour of it's own)
  • Perch (very sweet and mild)
  • Walleye
  • Catfish

Some would say though that Catfish is milder than Walleye.

But then "Pickerel" is sweeter than Walleye :lol:

Sorry,but I have to disagree with HH as I find Sole to be a bit too strong tasting and I can tell when the makers of precooked frozen breaded fillets in a box or bag have sneaked in the odd piece of Sole. They do this sometimes because Sole is cheaper.

I am very surprised that nobody has recommended a big of feed of Crappie.

I have always argued that there was no better tasting fish than Walleye,

that is until two summers ago when I had my first Crappie filets.

They are even better tasting than my beloved Walleye and they have a nice

firm flesh that is sooooooo tasty any way they are cooked up.

Won't be long now and I will be out gettin some!!

Try them with some of the awesome sounding recipes on here and I guarantee, you got

a sure hit.

Be sure to let us all know what you think.

Good Luck

SS

Tom

Debbe...my wife has never enjoyed fish. I have tried for over 20 years to find a fish she likes or a way to prepare fish that will make her enjoy it. Perch was about the only fish she would tolerate...but believe me she would never request a fish dinner.

Two years ago fellow OFNer Beans and his wife Maribeth invited Debbe and I over for supper. Chef Beansie made a fantastic meal with fish...and Debbe even had 2nd's.

We now have fish pretty much once a week. I have tried fresh caught Perch, Walleye, Pike,Catfish and Crappie as well as store bought sole, pollock and haddock done this way and it's all good. Give it a try...I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. The following is copied from the original recipe Beansie emailed me when I requested the recipe from him.

As for the recipe:

Natureally the amounts depend on how much fish you are cooking ...

I'll give these for a frozen bag (400 g) of cod or my fav...haddock...preferrably thawed to absorb the marinade...arrange in a baking dish and sprinkle about a tablespoon of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of white table wine over the fish about 15 minutes before cooking and let sit, do not drain...in the meantime preheat oven to 400*F

In a small saucepan, heat some peanut or canola oil till hot and add 2 tablespoons of Panda brand oyster flavoured sauce along with a clove or two of chopped fresh garlic and a tablespoon of fresh chopped ginger root...add a 1/4 cup of hot water and stir until boiling then pour over the fish evenly...cook in hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes until fish flakes when tested with a fork...remove from oven and sprinkle with some of the green part of 2 green onions and a few drops of sesame seed oil...enjoy!

Try it Tom and let me know what you think. We always serve it over rice...and white basmati rice is our favourite. The only thing that would make it better is if the master prepared it himself and if he made his authentic Chinese food to go along with it. Whatever you do..make sure you chop up the fresh green onions and sprinkle on the top..I really think it adds to the recipe...and you mentioned about sodium. We use the sodium reduced soya sauce (loblaws no name was the lowest sodium soya we found) Good luck and take care of yourself.

The fresh ginger and fresh garlic take away any "fishy" taste in my recipe above...

Another way is to put a 1/4 cup of salsa, 2 tbs white table wine, 1 tbs soya sauce, 1 tbs. olive oil, 1 or 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped in a bowl and mix well...pour over thawed fish and bake in a 400*F oven for 15 to 20 minutes until fish flakes easily...this too is for a 400 gram pkg of cod, haddock, or any of the other mild tasting fishes mentioned above...

Gerritt...if your listening...you can add these to your recipe book... :whistling:

Edited by Beans

:clapping: LOL Connie. Like he says the omega 3 and 6 fish oil caps may be an alternative, don`t burp for a while afterwards though!. Sardines in mustard sauce taste like mustard!

When I was lifting weights I used to eat 3 or 4 cans of tuna a day, sometimes wash it down with a can of salmon and a salad. Just something to get used too.

Paul, I use coated softgels and they put out no fishy aftertaste. Had my six just minutes ago. Now for a workout to rejuvinate my body.

Twenty years ago one of my friends had a heart attack and I took him a limit of rainbow trout. He never ate them.

Omega 3 is what we need for a healthy heart and my walleyes don't provide much omega 3. I think omega 3 is underused and eating fish is overrated, but I do lots of both.

May 17-31, I'm going to eat all the walleyes Donny Maw will allow.

I'll definitely agree with the benefits of fish oil capsules (Omega 3 fatty acids).

A couple of weeks ago, I was ready to go to the doc to get some heavier anti inflammatories for my left knee which has been giving me grief for the past couple of years. Advil stopped helping to give you an idea of how my knee felt. I had read about fish oil and figured I'd give it a shot, I didn't have anything to lose. I picked up some Life Brand Salmon and Fish oils (salmon, anchovy and mackeral). I started taking one a day and no word of a lie, after 2 days, I was pain free. Now, I did burp up some nasty stuff but I beat that by popping a couple of the mini fish oil capsules my kids take that are flavoured with strawberry. I'm going to try a couple of different brands to see which is the least 'fishy' after I finish this bottle.

As for not liking the fishy flavour of fish, I would use plenty of lemon and garlic - between the two of them, they work great, I am not a big fan of the 'fishy' taste and after having a couple of buddies who worked for a fish market/distributor in Toronto, I'm not a big fan of fish I didn't catch myself.

Tilapia is one of the most mild you can buy at a grocery store, and one of the lowest priced.

Haddock is one of my favorites, mild too but more versatile than tilapia.

And why not say walleye? Perch and walleye are perhaps THE most mild of fish and can be baked, broiled or barbecued.

TomC

Fish is often over cooked. I cook many kinds on the grill on a piece of aluminum foil shiny side towards the heat and never turn it over. When the fish flakes with a fork it is done. I broil tuna the same way and serve it medium rare to medium and it is delicious.

Other fish done this way is usually sprinkled with some dill weed, a bit of "Old Bay" spice and a little lemon juice. Some time I put a bit of chopped onion on the filet. Salmon and lake trout I don't remove the skin. When the flesh flakes with a fork just slide a spatula between the skin and the meat and the two seperate easily.