Backyard Ice Rink - NF

ccmtcanada

So, has anyone ever made a backyard rink? My little one isn't comfortable with regular public skating (she's still learning) and pond skating can be a real pain in the butt...esp since kids are notable for having to go to the bathroom at inopportune times....LOL.

Anyhow, we investigated a few different types...one being a Jiffy rink...basically a big plastic bag you fill and when it freezes you peel off the plastic. You join them together with snow packed down and then use water to fill the gap. We'd need 2 of these...for a cost of 60 bucks. They are 10 feet by 20 feet.

We also saw this re-useable one...that is at maximum 15 feet by 20 feet...so a little smaller, but you can use it again for next year. This one was 100 bucks at Canadian Tire. It has a plastic frame and a liner that is attached to the main frame with tubing. We opted for this one.

The hard part with any of these rinks is making it level....and my backyard is NOT level. LOL. After setting it up and filling with water and making adjustments to the height of the frame, the weight of the water caused it to collapse 2 times, so I looked over at our 15 x 20 foot deck....the thing that is level...LOL. Bly and I set it up on there and filled it with water...a MUCH easier job. Our neighbour built this deck and it's plenty stong to support the weight of the water. He put extra support beams underneath in case we ever wanted to put a small pool on there.

Anyhow, here are the pics....I hope this works...my little one will just love it! This is the first layer of water...once it freezes I'll be out there every night adding a bit more and hopefully we'll be skating on it next weekend.

rink2.jpg

rink.jpg

wow so cool throw in some small fish until it freezes and we know you didn't pay a $100 bucks cause of employee discounts :whistling:

You should pratice sitting out on the ice in a chair with Bly this may help you endure ice fishin :whistling:

Looks good Cliff if we have a G2G hockey game like roy has suggested it would be the perfect size for Papa Smurf :whistling:

Little girls and bathrooms I know it all so well.

:thumbsup_anim:

LIGHT layers of water at a time or you're gonna have air pockets...and why those jiffy bags suck. They freeze with a huge air bubble in the center. Don't make your ice too thick...or you're gonna find out that deck splinters nicely !

Thanks for the tips Wayne. I already knew about the light layers....and right now the water is about 2 inches...the minimum they suggest. I'll bring it up to maybe 2.5 inches.

well I have been making a rink in my backyard for about 7 years now. I have 3 kids that play hockey with 2 oldest playing AAA and AA(girl). My rink is 25x45. I frame it in with 1x12 rough pine ,use metal braces in the corners and stake it on the outside every 2-3 ft. I than buy a 30x50 clear(use clear or white only,no blue) tarp for about 80 bucks from Rona. My yard is not level so I end up with 8 inches of ice on one side and about 4 on the other. We skated for about 2 weeks before and during the holidays but since the warm spell I now have a small lake. But it is starting to refreeze and should be good to go by next weekend.The long range is calling for very cold temps til the end of the month. Lots of work but well worth it. The kids use it every day they can and I even bought an old arena net they use for shooting. It is the perfect size for a game of 2 on 2.

well I have been making a rink in my backyard for about 7 years now. I have 3 kids that play hockey with 2 oldest playing AAA and AA(girl). My rink is 25x45. I frame it in with 1x12 rough pine ,use metal braces in the corners and stake it on the outside every 2-3 ft. I than buy a 30x50 clear(use clear or white only,no blue) tarp for about 80 bucks from Rona. My yard is not level so I end up with 8 inches of ice on one side and about 4 on the other. We skated for about 2 weeks before and during the holidays but since the warm spell I now have a small lake. But it is starting to refreeze and should be good to go by next weekend.The long range is calling for very cold temps til the end of the month. Lots of work but well worth it. The kids use it every day they can and I even bought an old arena net they use for shooting. It is the perfect size for a game of 2 on 2.

Since this was my first time trying to set one up, I learned quite a bit from it. Next year I'll abandon the pre-fab kit and make my own border with 2x6's and 2x4s, reuse the liner (if it makes it thru this winter) and put it back on the lawn so it can be larger. There's nothing like a backyard rink...the maintenance will be tough, but I'm willing to give it a go if my kids enjoy it. Thanks for your reply!

If you ever end up doing it the way my forefathers did it, Border the rink with wood or Snow- Bank. Pack snow where the low spots are, light layer of water to freeze the snow, then lots of layered water no more than an inch and a half till your ice is level. This all depends on how cold it gets. Come spring, youll have dead grass where your rink was.

Been a volunteer with the City of Kitchener helping my Pops run the outdoor rink at our local park for 20 years now.

I'd feel reeeeely old right now if I didn't start when I was 11 LOL!

No gimmicks needed bud.

Start with snow packed down round the edges of your rink, and give 'er a nice "light" sprinkle the first night

just enough to make slush, and no more then that...trust me freind

To much water will make it twice as difficult, as you end up with bubbles, and your water can run out along the edges wasteing water, leaving uneven base levels....then it will take twice as long to freeze, and re level.

Just make the area as level as possible and barely water the Snow into "slush", and let it set(not flooded with water)

It does not have to be deep....this is just to get you started

The slush will freeze awkwardly, but....its the perfect start!!!

It creates tons of pockets to pour your next "light" sprinkle....just enough to fill the pockets to near level proportions.

(Never put on more then quarter inch at a time)

Then give 'er a another 2-3 coats no more then a quarter inch and your in business.

Don't be afraid to get out there and chip off any "peaks" at this point if there are any left, and keep sprinkling light coats nightly.

Also,

Stay on the Shoveling...its a pain in the but if you get a mild day with snow left on the ice.

(Its sticks and ruins the surface consistency)

We shovel after each snowfall, and flood only in the evenings, as it usualy cooler, and no kids are around to chop up the soft ice.

Have fun!

• 9 months later...
So, has anyone ever made a backyard rink? My little one isn't comfortable with regular public skating (she's still learning) and pond skating can be a real pain in the butt...esp since kids are notable for having to go to the bathroom at inopportune times....LOL.

Anyhow, we investigated a few different types...one being a Jiffy rink...basically a big plastic bag you fill and when it freezes you peel off the plastic. You join them together with snow packed down and then use water to fill the gap. We'd need 2 of these...for a cost of 60 bucks. They are 10 feet by 20 feet.

We also saw this re-useable one...that is at maximum 15 feet by 20 feet...so a little smaller, but you can use it again for next year. This one was 100 bucks at Canadian Tire. It has a plastic frame and a liner that is attached to the main frame with tubing. We opted for this one.

The hard part with any of these rinks is making it level....and my backyard is NOT level. LOL. After setting it up and filling with water and making adjustments to the height of the frame, the weight of the water caused it to collapse 2 times, so I looked over at our 15 x 20 foot deck....the thing that is level...LOL. Bly and I set it up on there and filled it with water...a MUCH easier job. Our neighbour built this deck and it's plenty stong to support the weight of the water. He put extra support beams underneath in case we ever wanted to put a small pool on there.

Anyhow, here are the pics....I hope this works...my little one will just love it! This is the first layer of water...once it freezes I'll be out there every night adding a bit more and hopefully we'll be skating on it next weekend.

rink2.jpg

rink.jpg

Yes I have made many many backyard ice rinks.

You could visit my web site devoted to backyard rinks:

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com

This web site offers (for free), the best information, tips, advice and recommendations on how to build your own backyard hockey rink and backyard ice skating rink.

John

It is the time of season to put up rinks here in Canada.

I am putting up mine and a friend of mine's up this week and next week.

This time of season, among other things, I go online in order to keep myself informed and updated with the latest information on backyard ice rinks, it is my hobby and passion.

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com

Edited by [email protected]

It is the time of season to put up rinks here in Canada. I am putting up mine and a friend of mine's up this week and next week.

This time of season, among other things, I go online in order to keep myself informed and updated with the latest information on backyard ice rinks, it is my hobby and passion.

John

http://www.mybackyardicerinks.com

Interesting.

Hey, lets all head on over to mybackyardicerinks.com and buy some of them ice rinks.

SPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks figureight, that is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I'm surely not spamming!

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com is intended and totally devoted to offering useful information and advice in order to help others build their own backyard hockey rink and/or backyard ice skating rink.

As well, there is an online backyard rink community:

http://community.mybackyardicerink.com

It is intended for those who are proud of their rink and are interested in sharing their rink by submitting photos and stories!

Edited by [email protected]