Computer Virus Protection . . . . (DEFINITLY N F)

Photoz

Last year I got Norton (as I always have) at Staples . . . but I wondered what might have been wrong with it . . . priced at $49.95 . . . . but an INSTANT rebate of $40.00 at the cash register?? Usually they overcharge you $30.00, then make you fill out your life history, send it in to a Post Office box number, wait the required 6 to 8 weeks, then call the number provided, get put on 'HOLD' several times, only to be told there's was a mistake in the address it was sent to . . . "but we'll put a RUSH on it, ya should have it in 4 weeks!" This year, they're back at it . . $69.95, minus the $20.00 MAIL-IN rebate you wait 4 months for!! Anybody else see any better NORTON deals around? PLEASE . . . . . don't suggest another brand . . . . except, may y y y b e McAffee . . . . as I'm ALMOST computer illiterate, and do not have a clue how to install & use 'freebee' stuff! I've heard McAffee is as good as Norton . . . . can a dummy learn to use it?

Photoz....use anything BUT Norton. It can slow your computer down to molasses. Installing some of the 'freebee' stuff is not harder than installing Norton. You just download the installation file rather than having it on a disc.

It will be hard to completely rid yourself of Norton, but there are easy-to-use tools that do it.

If you've not received links for the removal tools but tonite I will send them along to you...off to work in a few minutes right now.

T'anks . . . . I THOUGHT my computer slowed somewhat when Norton was loaded? McAfee is a pretty well known name . . . would anyone reccommend using it? I'm just sick of being screwed about by Norton . . . . a few years ago I tried downloading it off the 'net . . . . for some reason, it wouldn't 'take,' and I had to go out and buy it. Imagine my surprise when my Visa was billed for it a month later? It took 10 FULL MONTHS, plus over $20.00 worth of postage & phone calls to FINALLY get through to somebody to get my money back, THEN, after charging my Visa in AMERICAN funds, they credited it in CANADIAN funds, which was about a $.65 dollar! But, when ya ain't very bright, computer-wise, ya tend to get screwed stickin' with the 'devil you know!!'

Hey Photoz, why don't you just automatically re-new your Norton Anti-Virus every year on-line? I signed up so it's done automatically.

( Ooops. Ignore this post as I sent it just after you sent the post above ).

I defer to Rick's expertise on computers, but I must say that we have Norton and work and I have it here and don't notice any slowness in my computer speed.

Edited by Mike Pike

IF I decided to try downloading AVG, would I have to 'CLEANSE' my computer of NORTON first? Since I don't use the computer a lot, 'HIGH SPEED' is a waste of money for me, and as you likely are well aware . . . . large files (like an anti virus) take FOREVER to download! I just checked with SYMPATICO, as I had heard from several people who had the 'low(er) speed SYMPATICO,' that they were paying $21.00 per month . . . . but according to SYMPATICO, I'd have to take a contract for a year. Depending on how much I was downloading, I COULD end up paying considerably MORE than the $21.00? Getting an admission like THAT outta THEM, is like pulling teeth!! Otherwise . . . . the non contract price jumps to $30.00+ applicable taxes. I DO NOT like to get into contracts with ANYBODY, especially big outfits like Bell, or Rogers! If the computer was used for business, movies, games or music, then I'd have no choice, but for a few hours a day, just not worth the extra money to me.

Photoz....use anything BUT Norton. It can slow your computer down to molasses. Installing some of the 'freebee' stuff is not harder than installing Norton. You just download the installation file rather than having it on a disc.

It will be hard to completely rid yourself of Norton, but there are easy-to-use tools that do it.

If you've not received links for the removal tools but tonite I will send them along to you...off to work in a few minutes right now.

I agree 100%.

I refuse to have Norton on any of my machines. It's the first thing I delete from every new machine we buy. Haven't used it in 3 years. Before that, out of frustration, I'd tried McAfee but wasn't happy with it either. I finally had enough when Norton jerked me around over a $20 rebate (may have been more) that I wouldn't give up on just on principle after the first attempt at sticking it to me over sending them exactly the right paperwork (It's interesting how many ways they can demand that you prove ownership and how many different names they can come up with for the various bits that they consider as proof, and how quickly the deadlines run out as you play tag with them). I finally got it, and they earned my undying enmity in the process. I wish I still had all the emails they sent me to show those of you who haven't had the pleasure how aggravating they can actually be.

That aside, I agree that it bogs down the computer beyond the bounds of normal human patience. I'm not saying any of the Norton tools are bad, just overkill for most of us considering the free protection that's available between filtering at the server side and the free AV software that's available. I don't figure I need to check every outgoing email in detail for embedded viruses when I monitor what's coming into my machine fairly thoroughly. I haven't had any issues since I stopped using Norton and that's good enough for me.

YMMV

JF

Go OEM it costs 20 to 30 bucks a year and it doesn't come with all that fancy package, also McAfee aint to bad unlike Nortons i find it doesn't bog up your p.c and if you buy it OEM you should get Mcafee Suite for the same price as nortons.

Edited by PatrickG

yes most of us got Norton's. when we got your new computers. when i first got my dell in 2002 it came with Norton's. and yes it slow down my computer. i too kept renewing it for a couple of years. then just got fed up with it. i been using Kaspersky internet security. for many years now and love it. yes you can try the free stuff. it works too. just stay away from Norton's. i joint a news letter many years ago. call information avenue. and you learn a lot of good stuff from this news letter. people ask question. and there two guys from this site. that reply back to the questions. other stuff in the news letter too. the link to this site is http://www.cloudeight.net/ when you get on the site click on infor avenue and get the news letter, there a free version. and one you pay for 10 dollars. pay one just gives you more information.take care and happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer. next year lol

Hi Rick

I too would like to get rid of all traces of Norton on my PC.

If you do find those removal tools, please post or send to me as well.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Stan Sharp

I went to the site you suggested . . . . it still involves going into the registry . . . . I WOULDN'T EVEN DARE THINK ABOUT IT! So . . . . short of that . . . . I suppose I'm STUCK with bits & pieces of Norton? Or did I miss something?

FURTHER TO:

I just spent the last hour reading the whole article . . . . . these people are far, far outta MY league, and THEY are running into problems . . . . . it looks like I'll have to find a place that can actually remove this whole thing, and still leave my computer in good working order? I saw an hour-long show on W-5 about computer repair scams . . . . they make used car salespeople look like Sunday school teachers, so even that will be a challenge . . . . or am I destined to be stuck with Norton until I buy a new computer? I had NO idea . . . . . ?? But, I REALLY do thank you guys for trying!

Edited by Photoz

The problem with the Norton removal tool is that it's designed to leave stuff on the registry. The registry is not a cool thing to play with unless you know what you're doing or follow directions explicitly.

This will clean it out.: http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_ful..._my_system.html

Hey Roy

Thanks for the site, I feel so much better now that Norton is gone.

Funny thing is the site you sent me too runs you through how to get rid of it and then at the bottom it tells you the newest and better way. LOL

Anyhoo, it worked as far as I can see and it was quite easy.

Thanks again.

Stan

kaspersky anti virus is on sale at futureshop for $10 this week.... or option 2, go to zonealarm's website and get the "trialpay" option thing... basically, you get zonealarm suite for free if you open an ebay account and place a bid on something (you don't even have to win) and they send you a free copy of it plus a 1yrs subscription....

Whilst biting my tongue reading this thread... Get rid of Norton, use Add & Remove Programs and remove it, then go into the Program Files folder from your C: drive and remove all Norton & Symantec folders provided you use no other Norton/Symantec products. Download AVG, it's only 7 megs or so... like 20 mins on dialup and install it.

Don't buy anything, just download AVG from the link provided back a few posts, Terry's I think. There's also a free antispyware package there, I would get that too, or Windows Defender from the MS website.

Hi Photoz

I fix, repair, and sell PC's for a living. Without a second of hesitation I don't recommend the Norton or McAffee antivirus programs. They are horrible examples of bloatware.

I second (or third?) the AVG antivirus recommendation. Its 100% free for home users, catches just as many bugs as anything else, doesn't hog resources or conflict with other programs. You can download it here:

AVG Free

Make sure you completely uninstall all Norton components BEFORE you install AVG, or you will have a real mess on your hands.

Another great free program is Spybot. It complements AVG nicely as an anti spyware program. You can download it here:

Spybot

Use it to scan your system every month or so.

If you are using a router or are on dial up, you probably don't need a firewall program.

Hope that helps

Ash

Edited by Ash Williams

If you want to use Norton anti-virus you can.

If you do not renew, you can still use Norton but you will not get any updates.

When I bought my computer, Norton anti-virus was/is a pre-load (no CD). I used Norton. I did not have to do what Photoz had to go thru. I just renewed – Norton sent me many warnings that my renewal date was coming. It was easy and the cost was just under $50.00. I was paying $50.00 for the UPDATES and not for Norton program.

I had hard drive problems and so I had to re-install Norton anti-virus more than a few times. I found out some things about Norton anti-virus and how the renewal process worked. I found out how to get registered again, get updates and continue to use Norton anti-virus and not pay $50.00 at re-install time or at renewal time.

I was getting FULL SERVICE for $0. You just have to know the workings of Norton anti-virus and Norton anti-virus renewal procedure.

When Norton anti-virus scans took 5-6 hours, I decided to go with something else – I went with AVG.

Read my post under Computer Help, Tip for Symantec renewal. If you wish to continue to use Norton and you want help to do what I did, just contact me.

But, I use AVG.

carp-starter