What are your Christmas memories ??

lew

It's been a very long time since my kids were kids (don't tell my daughter I said that) but the memories of them when they were small on Christmas mornings will always be fresh.

One of my fondest memories was having the kids put food out on the table on Christmas Eve for Santa & the reindeer.......Coke & cookies for Santa & carrots for the magic flying critters. :santa:

They'd be sooooo excited at the thought that Santa & crew would actually stop and sit in OUR kitchen for a snack :thumbsup_anim:

Christmas mornings the kids would be up at Lew o'clock, and before they'd even look at the gifts under the tree, they'd rush into the kitchen to check the food they'd left out. The looks on their faces would be priceless when they'd see the nearly empty coke bottle, the cookie crumbs on one plate and the carrot stubs on the other plate, knowing that Santa had actually been sitting in THEIR kitchen and eating the snacks they'd left out.

Stuff like that is what Christmas is all about and the memories will last forever :clapping:

Howz bout your family. what are some favorite Christmas memories from when your own kids were small, or even when you were a kid yerself ?? :santa::santa:

I'd have to say one Christmas in particular sticks out for me. My mom and us kids had moved in with my grandfather and a couple of Aunts when I was about 5ish. That was a lot of people in the house and my mom and I shared the pull out couch in the living room. Christmas Eve was always a special time at that house, different reasons for everyone, but for a 5 yr old, it meant after midnight mass we could open 1 gift before going to bed :D . I still can't figure out how Santa managed to set up my Barbie camper set right beside me and set out all the other gifts for the rest of the kids in the house without waking me up...I was sleeping directly opposite of the Christmas Tree! I still say he drugged me ;) I also can't figure out how I managed to live that Christmas morning after I ran through the house at almost Lew O'clock waking everyone up and telling them what Santa left them :P

The one thing that has pretty much stayed constant over all the years is Boxing day. We used to gather at my Grandfathers house and visit, play and exchange gifts, the kids got to play Santa's helper, it was a fun time. As the years have passed and the family has grown, we have moved from my Grandfathers house (who is sadly no longer with us) and rent the church hall in the old neighborhood. We have been known to have almost 70 in attendance, and some things have changed, but we still gather, catch up and now we have a new generation of little ones running around having a blast helping to make new memories.

Maureen

Guest gbfisher

Mine are still very young Lew.

I'm living what you speak of right now. Up at 6 even if it isnt Christmas.... :D

Extreme excitement now that it is Christmas.... :santa: ..............OH.....you mean the kids...... :blush:

Edited by gbfisher

Funny you should ask Lew ...

This year I bought a combination VCR/DVD recorder for christmas ... and I just finished copying our home movie VCR tapes to DVD - one of the first christmas' with our girls when they were just old enough to 'get it' - at that time my oldest was four and the younger one was two .... it brought a tear to my ... they're both grown up and in University now ... but I dont think they have changed a bit ... in fact I found an old dirty 'rag' in my tackle box - which was an ALLADIN TOWEL .... from that christmas ... it one of the biggest hits with the girls that year (1991)... which has new meaning to me after watching the video.

Anyhow, my point here is ... take lots of photos, and lots of videos (if you can) ... they are TREASURES later on in life ... and they really do help you with the memories ... oh .. and do get your tapes copied over to DVD ... these were salvaged almost too late :)

Well my memories are great when i was young,i think around the age of ten,i got my electric train set for xmas !!!!! my god that was amazing,my dad had a ping-pong table which we converted into my train table,so over the next few years every birthday & xmas all i asked for was train,acessories,like buildings,more train cars,more scenery,like trees and all that,by the time i was about 16 it was the best train set ever,anyone that ever came to my house loved to see my setup,but that first xmas when i got the train set,it was like the best thing in the world....i still think of that from time to time,specially at this time of year !!!!!thanks lew fro bringing it up,i have some old photos of that train set if i can find them i will scan them and show them....merry christmas everyone :thumbsup_anim::whistling::clapping:

Season's Greetings Lew:

My fondest memories of Christmas's past are when I was a young lad (1950s). My Dad's family and his brother's family would always celebrate Christmas dinner at my Grandparents home. Fifteen of us would enjoy Christmas dinner together at one big table. We always had cracker napkins and we wore the funny hats inside. It was all about family and fun. I've never fogotten those happy days. I'm going to revisit those feelings in a couple of days when nineteen family members will sit down for Christmas dinner at one big table in our home.

Edited by Tomcat

Lew when mine were young we did the set out cookie thing which was cool. Since mine are now older and gone from home the tradition is for them to come spend the night before Christmas at our house so we can celibrate together in the morning :thumbsup_anim: with the biggest difference being we don't get up at "Lew O'clock" :santa:

Edited by Whopper

Well, this year will be my daughter's first Christmas....although she has no idea what's going on, we've already taken her to see santa and I'll be dressing up as santa for her and my nephew....

As for my fondest memory, there's nothing that really stands out in my mind because each one is special in it's own way. I alway got a kick out of some of the things my mother used to write on the gift tags. I remember getting a toy hockey stick from Wayne Gretzky and a videogame from Mario and Luigi....but the best was a fishing rod and reel from Bob Izumi lol...

Happy Festuvus Guys!

What a great report Lew!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's memories. I've been working my tail off the past few days and will continue to do so until late Christmas eve so it's nice to take a few moments and read some Christmas memories.

As for myself, Christmas is hands down my fav. time of year, and I have countless fond memories from when I was a child. After reading some of your reports, about children who're in university, or who've long left the house, I realised how fast they grow up and how important it is for me to capture these memories on film and video. I took a couple of minutes and dug up some photos from last Christmas when my daughter was only but 2 MONTHS old, and I was shocked at how much she's changed in only one short year!

gallery_133_237_4077.jpggallery_133_237_1724.jpg

Photos from this week:

gallery_133_237_33350.jpggallery_133_237_19834.jpg

Thanks for the advice camillj!

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Ryan

Great thread Lew

I have a few memories which come back year after year

When I was young,the smell of Johnny West figurines still come to my mind

My kids ,the gleem in their eyes on Christmas Morning

The smell of Turkey supper and Turkey sandwichs later in the evening at my God Mothers,I still smell that aroma every year thinking about it