Live or dead bait

Rizzo

Dead on "bottom" for me. As long as the swim bladder within the fish has not ruptured, the dead bait will float up off the bottom a few inches, being weighed down by your weight.

I try not to let the bait get waterlogged and lie on the river bottom. Lake smelts, head on and uncleaned are my favourite for still water or drift fishing from shore.

The pike fishing in my area using this technique this year has produced a big fat nothing. All my favourite holes are low and clear. They never recovered from the summer.

When shore fishing for pike, i used to just cast out the line and let it sit on the bottom (dead bait). sometimes you had to wait an hour, but when fish was on, it was usually a decent sized fish. Casting always seems to catch the smaller one. I'd just stick a big hook through the body twice, have to be careful that the dead bait isn't falling apart though.

I have found that most of the time dead baits work best laying right on bottom. But when fishing deep water and/or at the base of a steep dropoff suspending the bait 1-2 ft. off bottom often works better. I usually experiment throughout the day.