Totally Non-Fishing

TJQ

Same as camping for me, I pack my own of certain things because I travel a lot. A small carry on size bag or knapsack will hold a small coffee maker, cups, a small mason jar of dishsoap, etc., slippers or cheap shower shoes for in the room. Also a good idea to pack 1-2 single sheets and a pillow case in the same bag. Once you get the system down it's just one more small bag to lug, often it will fit inside a big suitcase.

I have a friend who manages a hotel for a major chain and when he travels he carries two queen size sheets sewn together to make a large sleeping bag type thing. I figure if he manages a hotel and does that, it pretty much tells me all I need to know. He also says to never put your toothbrush down on the bar counter. Use your toiletries then put them right bag in the travel bag you caryy them in.

That was great. I'm now looking ohhhh so forward to my honeymoon this January.

Actually do spend a number of weeks per year in motel/hotel/cabins outside of home. Thanks to this thread I now know why I am a herpetic leper with flesh eating impetego and C-difficile. And to think, after all this time I just presumed it was my kids bringing this stuff home from school. :rolleyes:

Edited by Moosebunk

Sheets, and pillow cases are changed after each guest leaves...thats the norm(I would hope)

Its just the comforters that are usualy cleaned monthly....

Bed bugs is an intersting one...luckily I've had the privilage of never seeing, or haveing one reported were I work.

But I thought it was worth mentioning your NEVER safe regardless of were you stay.

They travel in your luggage 9x out of 10, and they can be tranfered from hotel to hotel....

So no matter how nice, big or small the hotel is....it all depends on who stayed in your room before you unfortunatly

But the real scarey part....in order to have them exterminated you need to fumigate the room and generally 4 rooms over on each side and accross the hall and over 4 rooms in each direction(thats as far as they will travel individually) then re-apply the same treatment ANYWERE they show up.

So if you take them home with you....

You need to fumigate your entire home, and I'm not sure but I can't see insurance covering that, and proving were you "initially" picked them up for financial compensation is a bit sticky...

One word of advice....

before you settle into your room, check behind the head board, and look at the head of the mattress...bed bugs are quite visible to the naked eye, and they like to lay eggs in that spot...not sure why they like that spot in particular, but they do.

If you see any bugs, or small black spots the size of half a grain of rice....thats the eggs, get out right away before you unpack.

if the Mattress header is clean, your good to go.

Oh and its worth mentioning that generally in the hotel world...after fumigating the rooms the Mattress, box frame, curtains, and any furniture including the pillows(anything made of cloth, and fabric, and sometimes depending on the fabric....even the carpet)

are removed.

They fumigate first to avoid a spread while transfering the old furniture out of the room....the eggs can resist the poisons and hatch anyway...so they minimize the chance of spread, and remove the problem.

So you can imagine how costly a bedbug problem could be if you took it home...

Any well run Hotel should take bed bugs VERY seriously.

Edited by Cookslav

Disease causing germs didn't have modern transportation back in caveman days. Germs and bugs love to ride airplanes, ships, trains and automobiles. Bedbugs find their way to $250 a day motel rooms. Cavemen had problems with food poisoning every now and then, but the first guy to eat bad food would get sick, throw up and maybe check out. Others got sick from watching First Guy and they would vomit the tainted food which spared them the sickness. That's how they survived.

How do I know this? My family has been walking erect for only about 200 years.

Eewww, and I assumed it was only the Sofitel in Montreal that did it (they did it while my family was still in the room), we left the room as it was not appealing to me and I didn't want my kids to touch any of the cleaners.

Okay, I'll have to pack stuff for my next trips.