Big blaze in Barrie

lew

Found this:

Fri, 2007-12-07 02:14. John Elston An explosion at the Royal Thai restaurant in the Bayfield and Dunlop area of downtown Barrie sparked a major fire late thursday night. Due to concerns the fire could spread, apartments above nearby stores were evacuated. Evacuees were taken to a church.

No injuries have been reported, but the fire was burning out of control for several hours.

The accompanying picture showing flames smoke billowing up from the fire scene was shown on the City of Barrie's web site between 2 and 3 a.m. After 3 o'clock, the flames began dying down.

First I heard of this.

That is right at the five points,the heart of the downtown core.

Winds are almost nil now Roy.

This is the second fire in 4 months down town.

The first one,talk on the streets was a myth lab,yet it was never confirmed. Dont want to tarnish this great city.

Fire is across from Random Ranch I think and still going at this time, they have it on City TV Breakfast Television....even Honeymoon Suit and Rick Emmet had to be evacuated last night from their concert....no injuries reported yet, but will be devastating to Barrie I think.

Fire is still going :( at least one building completely gone, started at around 12:30, fire crews came in from other townships to help out, they are now getting water from Lake Simcoe as the water pressure in Barrie is too low.

Yup, the Wellington Hotel is gone, it was built in 1880 I think, sad day for sure in Barrie

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

~~~~What that you say :blink:

Yup, the Wellington Hotel is gone, it was built in 1880 I think, sad day for sure in Barrie

It's a good thing both my parants are past away, they staggered out of there more time then I can remember :unsure:

Edited by oldphart

Watching that, the radio this morning were talking out thier butts.The firefighters did a great job containing this animal.It never reached the bingo hall or Random.

Good for them doing a grerat job. :clapping:

When I moved to Barie the first big fire I seen was the old Sam the record man store.It was right accross the street from this fire. Back in the 70,s there was another.The old robertson hardware.

Thanks G for the vid.

Oldpfart,Im sure the Mayor staggard out a few times aswell.LOL

Edited by misfish

As a newer resident of Barrie I'm not too familiar with the Wellington Hotel, but I loved Royal Thai! Never ate in there, but it was my number 1 take-out option. Saw the damage in person today, sad sight. Just a block or 2 away there was another big fire like Brian said a few months back