Gps Magellan Explorist 500 - Ctc On-sale!

Dutch

Any opinions on this GPS Unit?

It's on sale at CTC starting tommorow, marked down from $460 to $200.

I've been in the market for awhile, but don't have a lot of information on this unit. How are the maps of the lakes for Magellan, specifically kawarthas areas? Can you get depth charts and ones showing aids to navigation?

Any information is appreciated.

Dutch

i have an explorist 500 & it's pretty good. i paid about $370 for it plus i bought some software from magellan for the eastern great lakes.

the unit is small, seem pretty durable, and has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery; a great feature for long days on the water. it also has adjustable screen brightness to conserve battery power.

there is no case included with the unit, just the reciever, and a charging/PC cord

one thing that i'm not to hot on is the software. i had to order it from magellan (had heated discussions with staff @ bass pro & lebarons over the very existence of this product), and it was pretty expensive(approx $200)

the software maps also seems to be off when i'm trying to match up spots on the lake.

however, i would say, for the price you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a better unit.

Took the plunge and bought the unit.

Pretty interesting so far. Have played around quite a bit and I am impressed so far. Have to buy/get my hands on some detailed maps soon.

One drawback I have found is that there is no plug-in for charging. Came with the USB cable, but I'm not sure if it will charge the battery through USB or not - any ideas?

There is a mail-in for a free plug, but it takes 6-8 weeks. It has an adapter for putting in AAA's so I will start doing that once the Li-ion wears out.

Can't wait to get some detailed maps.

Seems like an exceptional unit for the price.

There is a mistake in the flyer. It is not the Explorist 500 on they are selling, it is the Explorist 500LE.

They are the same unit but the LE does not come with the AC adapter or the Lithium Ion battery. I comes with the 3 - AAA cartrige instead.

I called CT headquarters and they said it was a mistake and that the stores were notified of this.

Dutch - you said that you are using a lithium ion battery? Where did you get that? Mine didn't have that in the package....

Burt

Edited by Burtess

i think the only downfall about the company,from what i heard is very difficult dealing with them in returning the unit my freind had one to return and it took about 4months to get it back,they will not cover the labour costa if a unit craps out on you.... :dunno: i only own lowrance products ,so you should ask about warranty first....cheers :santa:

Stay away from magellan is all I can say. After spending approx. $700 on one I had to have it repaired/replaced 4 times because of moisture entering the unit even though they state that it is 'waterproof' or 'water resistant'. I got so fed up I ended up throwing mine away. The company really don't give a #$% about consumer products, they are more interested in their other ventures. Go with Lowrance.

It's a GPS and if it can mark waypoints, routes, tracks it's good.

For me, the thing that sets these units apart is their mapping software and this is where in my mind: GARMIN GARMIN GARMIN is the name you want. They have the most coverage for Canada, more than Magellan & Lowrance.

There is a mistake in the flyer. It is not the Explorist 500 on they are selling, it is the Explorist 500LE.

They are the same unit but the LE does not come with the AC adapter or the Lithium Ion battery. I comes with the 3 - AAA cartrige instead.

I called CT headquarters and they said it was a mistake and that the stores were notified of this.

Dutch - you said that you are using a lithium ion battery? Where did you get that? Mine didn't have that in the package....

Burt

Hey Burt - yeah mine is the LE model and it did have the battery in there as well as the AAA cartridge. Maybe I lucked out and got both?

B2K - was away in London for the weekend and I think I confused the thing (and myself) going around the block 3 times looking for a parking spot - no need for a back-track on that one.

Thanks everyone for the comments.