Disgusted and fumin

nautifish

Ask yourself, "when is the last day that I went through that I did everything by the book and as I should have?" Cops are people too, and are able to make mistakes like the rest of us. That being said, if he was just hightailing it cause he could, then a slap upside the head is warrented.

I speed as well, and when I am pulled over, I accept my ticket with the proper amount of humility because I was in the wrong.

Edited by hometownhandyman

I disagree with much that has been said

the cop should have the lights or siren on to warn people

this cop was breaking the law and a cop has to be held to a higher standard, if a cop will break one law. How many other laws is he breaking....he was putting peoples lives at risk and this guy gets to carry a gun and need to use his common sense to deal with people and situations daily.........

he wanted to be a cop

he gets paid well to be a cop

he needs to act like one

To answer your question is this legal?

Yes it is. The Highway Traffic Act allows us to drive like that in the course of our duties. However, keep in mind that in some situations driving fast w/o lights and sirens is necessary. the distance. What the HTA does say is that we have to stop at all stop signs and red lights with lights on. It doesn't say what kind of stop though hehe :whistling:

Kindly enlighten us which section of the OHTA "allows" this.

It was not my intention for this post to start flamming the OPP.... :wallbash:

I agree there are alot of good cops out there & they do a tremendous job.

But this actually scared the bejeepers out of me. It bothered me all night all i kept thinking was why did he not have any lights flashing atleast? to warn other drivers coming the opposite way. It would have been tragic had he caused a head on collision right on the actual lift bridge over the water that feeds out to lake erie.

Thankgod it did not happen but what botherd me was it could have and so easily.

As for reporting him not sure how i could not even see the number plate sign on the vehicle infront of me it was so thick with fog and he just tore donkey up the road so fast and we do not allways have local town cops in town.

Anyway i had my rant and just wanted a question answered so thankyou FishnNAutographs.

Nautifish.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind for me is "do 100 things right and no one remembers, do 1 thing wrong and no one forgets"! Cops are people too, there are good and bad ones, fortunatly most of them are good. I'd want to know the facts before I made a judgement call but I would always give them the benifit of the doubt (oh wait, I do that with everyone!) LOL

I think this is a really good thread though, informative and thought provoking.

HAHA Brian ! I hear yah Nauti... we get tickets for everything and they do what they want. It's like my Dad always said " do as I say... not as I do". I followed an OPP around town for awhile the other day when I was coming back from CTC in Midland, was gonna flag him down and citizen arrest him for failure to signal a couple of lane changes while he was doing 120 K on 93 between Midland and Penetang, then failure to signal about 15 turns, ..... failure to stop at a dozen stop signs thru Penetang (including 2 in front of a public school during school hours), but decided I didn't need the recourse and besides... I was right on his ass and I did exactly what he was doing to see if he would pull me over!

Glad you have nothing better to do. Maybe you should have been out on GB to try and catch your second musky :blahblah1:

There was a case in Kingston, where an officer killed a very very well respected and well liked business owner. I believe the name wa Quatrochi sp? and there was a heck of a lot of trouble relating to this with the officer not having lights or sirens or some such things on. I bet it could be googled and it happened about 7 years ago if my memory serves me correctly.

outdoorguy61

My hat's off to them for the job they do and the crap they deal with on a daily basis. I believe that they exercise sound judgement, otherwise they wouldn't have their jobs. Sure there may be some instances where wrong judgement calls are made, but I think a lot of people forget that they are human and do make mistakes. It isn't an easy job to do when you're constantly under public watch. I am pretty certain that their intentions aren't to go out and kill or hurt someone in a traffic accident. I will never judge because you never know when that person you've criticized is the one on your side to protect you or help you out.

Who intends to go out in traffic and kill someone?

As for judging, well I guess you wont officialy unless you are part of the SIU, but turning a blind eye wont help anything either. I cant believe some folks still think cops are above scrutiny. :wallbash:

Who intends to go out in traffic and kill someone?

As for judging, well I guess you wont officialy unless you are part of the SIU, but turning a blind eye wont help anything either. I cant believe some folks still think cops are above scrutiny. :wallbash:

We are far from being above scrutiny......we are watched closer than anyone and often treated worse than criminals.....people choose to hate us based on the uniform we wear and some will be happy to kill us based on that fact. Not based on who we are as a person, but for the uniform we wear. But who are the ones they call when they need help?

Yes, some of us make bad decisions and i'm not defending the O.Dot whatsoever because most of them are too intense....hell they give other coppers tickets including my deputy chief lol....hell they'd give Julian Fantino, their commish a ticket. But our job is like everyone elses, people make mistakes and sometimes they drive like idiots, but unlike your job, not everyone is watching everything you do. And when you make a mistake, it's not in every newspaper in ontario.

Oh and BTW, SIU are relentless. They investigate you even when you're not involved in an incident. I have been investigated just for being in the police station when something happened. Yes it's necessary because we need to be accountable, but sometimes they are absolutely brutal which is why we need a lawyer present whenever they talk to us.

To answer the question of whether it was legal or not is pretty simple..... Did he get a ticket for it? If no, then it was "legal" as in the category of he got away with it, just like many of us do on a daily basis when it comes to rules of the road so therefore it must have been "legal"..... It doesn't sound like it was very sensible though.

I went to school with a couple of guys who joined law enforcement and the one thing that amazes me is the stories they love to tell about how they have top ended cruisers, personal vehicles, even snowmobiles while having another officer check their speed with a radar gun on some pretty public roads..... Heard of as related by those same guys and have seen with my own eyes a lot things done by officers that make me wonder what laws apply to whom. However, as stated when any of us need a cop or a rescue vehicle for us or our loved ones we do want it arrive FAST... and I don't think too many of stop to ask did you happen to break any rules of the road to get here so quickly?

So Nautifish if it shook you up so much you really should call the local detachment and inform them of what you saw. If nothing else it might give the officer in question pause to do something like that again if he knows the citizens in the area are watching.

Edited by Canuck2fan

just remember not to judge us all by the actions of few.......O Dots are a different breed

and as for the section of the HTA, new it at police college but that went out the door when i hit the road lol.....

Never judged a group by the actions of a few, every agency is "different", as for your comment about the HTA and throwing that info out the door when you hit the road, my, my, people sometimes make comments when stressed or nervous, but to put that on a public board and try to get respect, as an ex, I'm embarrassed and I'll leave it at that.

Never judged a group by the actions of a few, every agency is "different", as for your comment about the HTA and throwing that info out the door when you hit the road, my, my, people sometimes make comments when stressed or nervous, but to put that on a public board and try to get respect, as an ex, I'm embarrassed and I'll leave it at that.

It was a joke....an misunderstood, I meant that I didn't know the exact section of the HTA because when I was at the college I had it pretty much memorized.....gimme a break man