Float reels

Headhunter

they are so expensive? Granted, I've never used one, but after looking at the earlier post regarding these reels, it seems to me that they are very straight forward and simple to make. Is there a reason they can be so expensive that I'm missing?

Just lookin for your thoughts, not trying to stir any pots! :Gonefishing:

HH

I have wondered the same thing myself, and I think that much of it is the prestige of the float reel and the quality they are built with. Id imagine all that custom machining comes at a price...

That said, im working on getting a friend who just so happens to have access to the proper equiptment to build me a custom one. Stay tuned on how that goes...

That's what I thought as well Kemper... my brother is a tool and die maker, I bet he could put one together for me pretty easily, but I still can't figure out the high cost!

Materials used seem to be pretty comon and if you have any skill with the right tools... I don't know! :dunno:

HH

actually i would say it is more labour intensive for a float reel then a bait caster much tighter tolerances and to be honest my gear takes a poo kicking so a float reel is out of the question plus i really dont think it catches you any more fish then the next guy .........I think its a pure sport thing. a good machinist or mechanical tradesmen should be able to crack one off no problem

Edited by BITEME

I caught a fishing show where a guy was using a 12 rod,but it had a bait caster (maybe a abu 55000 and it free spooled just like a float reel.So it seemed to anyways.Im going to try that with mine.

It,s the tooling and time required to make them, thats why they are expensive IMO.

Edited by misfish

A good float reel, I understand, has two important qualities: very little rotational inertia, so that it spins with very little encouragement; and very little rotational friction, so that it continues to spin for a long time.

I put my hands on an Islander at JB's once, and he made it spin by blowing on the reel, and then sat it down. It was still spinning a minute later.

made from solid bar stock aluminum, tolerences are extremely tight, and some small market producers make a product that is unreal in terms of tolerences. Im sure a machinist would say it takes a ton of time to make a good one and then ask how much a good machinist is worth an hour and that answers the question

I've never looked at the country of origin for these reels. I'll betcha that they aren't made in China? If they are made on this continent that may attest to the price and the high quality with being made over here that comes with it. :dunno: And the other pointed out facts as to the machining would no doubt come into play.

Here is a custom a friend of mine made for me.

Well worth the beans IMO. But, you spend a pile on a baitcater and a heavy flippin stick to pull the hogs out of the slop, you spend a bunch puttin together a good drop shot rig to get preasured smallies, Hunters spend a whack to get a sweet Turkey outfit, or even a high end bow for deer, it's worth the money if thats what you love to do.

front.jpg

Backplate.jpg

And yes, the "Splash" is because I tend to test the water :whistling: