Got new boat, went fishing today

Garry2Rs

Hi Guys;

Last month I mentioned that my boat and trailer were wrecked when a leaf spring snapped at 60mph, on our way to the winter place in Yuma Arizona. The insurance company decided that they would write-off my boat, motor and trailer, so I went Bass boat shopping. After picking the brains of some friends, (Thanks again Brian) I bought a used Ranger.

Ranger.JPG

Nice_wheels....JPG

I'm very pleased with this boat, it rides nicely and goes like stink...grin.

So...after a month of being shore bound we were finally on the water.

The guys at the Yuma Bass Masters and the Desert Bass Club, were all saying that at this time of year, the fish should be moving away from cover and chasing schools of Shad...But the hot weather was delaying the game.

Until the last few days it's been very hot...in the 90's almost everyday. On Tuesday a front moved in and over night it dropped the day-time highs into the mid-seventies. With the cold front I had high hopes, that we would finally see some "Fall" fishing. I also assumed that the fish would be sulking for a few days after the cold front moved through. I gave it until this afternoon for the fish to adjust to the cooler water etc.

Mitry_Lake.JPG

Buck and I drove to Mitry Lake, which is a reed and palm lined man-made lake about ten miles out of town. The water comes from the Colorado River but the lake isn't connected to the river, it's fed from a series of canals that originate at the Imperial Dam about twenty mile upstream from Yuma. This is a good big fish lake and has produced Bass of up to 14 pounds! We didn't see anything like that today, but we did hook a few in the 1.5 - 2 pound range, and it's aways nice to know that a new personal best might only be a cast away...GRIN.

Arizona_Bass.JPG

Today we fished a Rattle-Trap and a DT-6 out from the cover in open water, where we could see submerged weed beds. We fished the lip less cranks like jerk baits, ripping them through when we felt them touch anything. The club guys said most of the strikes come after you rip...Sure enough our hits came after we had ripped the lure free of weeds.

Here's the bait we were using...

Rattle_Trap.JPG

Garry2r's

Nice boat Garry, and a nice bass report. :thumbsup_anim:

You know a cold front with temps in the 70's sounds like a warm front anywhere north of where you're at this time of year. Today it will maybe hit 5C in Hamilton.

Glad to hear too that your insurance company came through and you found a nice boat. :clapping:

DSCN1147.JPG

Mike -

This boat is an 18ft too, I took the picture with a wide angle lens, that stretched it a bit...the motor is a 150, Black Max XR2, with a 6" jack plate. I'm amazed at the hole shot compared to the 120 Evinrude I had on the Skeeter. I'm not sure if it's the jack plate or just the extra ponies...

With Buck and I on board, and both tanks full, I'm getting about 5800 RPM at full throttle, the red line on the XR2 is 6000 RPM. There's no water around here that's big enough to really wind it out and see what subtle adjustments to the trim might do.

Roy -

I love tiller boats too, but the bass club rules say you must have "remote steering."

Garry2R's