Home Made Motor Stand - NF

ccmtcanada

Well, after the storm we had yesterday and the fact that the Kawarthas are now closed, I've come to the realization that I'd have to get the boat and motor ready for winter.

I'll be storing the motor in my insulated garage...it never goes below freezing in there, so I figured I'd have to buy a cart to hold the motor. After doing some research online and seeing prices that ranged up to 200 bucks, I figured they couldn't be that hard to make.

I went to Rona...bought 2 two by fours at $2.83 a piece....a small piece of small plywood for $5.00 and $25 on casters. I did a quick drawing and I began work on my project. I was surprised it turned out as well as it did as I am NOT that handy when it comes to projects like this. Anyhow, here's a few pics of the finished project....and I saved a bunch of money in the process. I had a 2 by 6 in the garage already.

motorstand3.jpg

motorstand2.jpg

motorstand1.jpg

One of the casters is locking....just in case it decides to head down the driveway....LOL. I just have to remember to engage it.....

motorstand4.jpg

I'll be painting it with marine grade paint so that it'll last a few years at least. It's surprisingly sturdy and easy to push around the garage.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Looks good Cliff! You can probably incorporate a battery shelf on that rig too. Just be sure not to store you battery on the concrete floor.

Was that annoying neighbour and his wife hanging over your shoulder telling you what tools to use and where to get them? ;)

-Brian

You did a great job on that stand and the casters are a great addition. Last year I found myself in a similar position and was about to build one with wood, but the company I work for sell janitorial equipment including carts. They were getting ready to throw out some older stock, so I requested one, took it home and with few modifications, had an instant motor stand.

I've also seen pictures on the web of modified grocery carts but they don't look nearly as nice as what you've built.

Hey SlowPoke... as for battery storage, whats the best thing to do? Store inside or outside propped up on something? Any other Prep if I leave it outside?

Just make sure it's/they're fully charged before winter and all will be swell provided nothing is draining them down.

As for the concrete floor...myth from the days of old wood case battery..but if you do have a battery that is leaking any acid it will eat a hole in your concrete!

Cliff...great job...did you get the old CTC handyman to help you with that? LOL

Edited by irishfield

Hey SlowPoke... as for battery storage, whats the best thing to do? Store inside or outside propped up on something? Any other Prep if I leave it outside?

Give it a full charge before storing and keep it above freezing temperature. It doesn't have to be very warm and topping up the charge once a month wouldn't hurt.

-Brian

NO Brian...the old myth is it drains the battery leaving it on the floor! That's where I thought you were going. Battery will not freeze if it has proper acid SG and fully charged. All that said...I never put them on the floor..I leave'm in the boat !

Edited by irishfield

Want to store the battery properly. Buy an on board float charger, and leave it pluged in till you need it. The float charger, charges the battery than maintains the charge. I will not overcharge. I leave my 3 batteries in the boat, with the onboard 3 bank charger (Quest charger), and when I take the boat out, I don't have to worry if the batts are charged. I paid $150 for my on board, great investment.

Daniel

OCH

Oh ya, great stand, I need one for my kicker. Hope you don't mind me copying it. Great job!!

Edited by Ontariocarper

I have unboard chargers in my boat for all 4 batteries as well...but I sure ain't gonna leave it plugged in all winter and forget about it. What did we ever do before modern electronics? It worked then (charge before storage and maybe once thru the winter)...it'll work now.

I have unboard chargers in my boat for all 4 batteries as well...but I sure ain't gonna leave it plugged in all winter and forget about it. What did we ever do before modern electronics? It worked then (charge before storage and maybe once thru the winter)...it'll work now.

Wayne, are you going to just pull the plug and then plug it in a few times over the winter??

Thanks

Sherriff

They are fully charged right now...may hit the bay a couple times yet and they'll be fully topped then. Plugged in once thru the winter to bring back to peak and again before hitting the water. Has worked for decades..will work now, no different than storing old cars like I've done for 30 years in unheated storage, and all the customers airplanes in the hangar. Topped before winter and once thru the winter. I now use the Minnkota single bank charger I took out of my Glastron for doing the airplanes...so I don't have to worry about forgetting I put it on one night to find a fuselage full of acid the next morning. Not leaving anything plugged in 24/7 to find out it has shorted out/squirrels have chewed it... catching the boat on fire...having the charger screw up and stay on high and boil the batteries dry...or any other scenerio. Have seen most of them... I don't think anyone has seen me report... "took my boat to the ramp and it wouldn't start due to a bad battery".

Edited by irishfield

I built one similar, but I will add the bottom piece of plywood next year. I just put a recycling bin under the motor fill it with water and my winterizing is easy to do. Having a piece of plywood there will make it easier.

I debated on the plywood, but decided to use it for stability. I'll have to look for a container to put under it though....I like the idea of winterizing it while on the stand.

LOL, it's not a myth it's commen sense!

Cliff is storing in his garage, his floor is concrete and the concrete will be wayyyyy colder than ambiant temperature. All he has to do is keep it off the floor and it won't freeze.

-Brian

My neighbour told me about the concrete floor thing when I first got it, so when it's not in use or charging, it's always sitting on a 2" thick piece of styrofoam to insulate it. It's good to know about how to store it over the winter....I was going to post a thread on it soon anyways.....thanks guys!

Hey now....just because I work for Canadian Tire, doesn't mean I know that annoying couple....and no, they do not live beside me....LOL.

If they did, they'd have been disappointed that I didn't buy the casters from Can Tire....LOL.

Your sig says Advertising manager.....you work for CTC......does that mean that you were responsible for the advertising featuring the neighbour with all the tools? Be careful when you answer. :whistling::devil::lol::lol: