NF. Canadian History Question

holdfast

As Part of my Seniors Leadership training I had to write with references, a paper on. How has the Canadian Military changed Canadian Society. We had to use 3 examples. The Professor gave examples like -Women in the forces - Francophone's in the forces- Canada and the UN- Human rights in the forces ETC. So I thought that I would write 3 Battles that helped Canada achieve Independance from Britian. So I figured

1. "The Boar War"

2. "Vimy Ridge" (WW1)

3. (WW 2) but what battle if any? Ah HA "The Battle of the Scheldt Estuary" never heard about it till I read

about it

So my question is. What is so Significant in these battles that helped us to break from Britain for our own Independence? Hint ensure you Google Canadian soldiers, General Crerer and look at more than one reference. You might find some very interesting articles that you probably never heard in your history classes. Its ashamed that they don't teach Canadian history anymore

Holdfast,

take no offense to this. but instead of testing people and putting them to task, why not enlighten them? Teach them the things they may not know. It would go alot further then receiving zero replies to this post...

It may also let more then a few of us understand your thinking and the reasoning behind it.

Take it for what it is worth... just my suggestion.

Gerritt.

Oh well I was kind of bored up here. I really dont want to teach anybody anything. Thought that this might be a nice change of pace. Unfortunately I can't relate to any of the BOQ threads since Im not there. But I sure wish I was since we have snow here but no Ice on the lakes. But thanks for your constructive input. CHIMO

As Part of my Seniors Leadership training I had to write with references, a paper on. How has the Canadian Military changed Canadian Society. We had to use 3 examples. The Professor gave examples like -Women in the forces - Francophone's in the forces- Canada and the UN- Human rights in the forces ETC. So I thought that I would write 3 Battles that helped Canada achieve Independance from Britian. So I figured

1. "The Boar War"

2. "Vimy Ridge" (WW1)

3. (WW 2) but what battle if any? Ah HA "The Battle of the Scheldt Estuary" never heard about it till I read

about it

So my question is. What is so Significant in these battles that helped us to break from Britain for our own Independence? Hint ensure you Google Canadian soldiers, General Crerer and look at more than one reference. You might find some very interesting articles that you probably never heard in your history classes. Its ashamed that they don't teach Canadian history anymore

You might want to write about the Boer war if spelling counts....

Edited by Canuck2fan

Any battle that they fought on our behalf to keep us free is just as important as the three you have listed. My parents brought our family here because of the freedom that we experience today.

We will always cherish what they did for us and will continue to support them.

Just my two cents.

Short and sweet

1) Vimy Ridge - we were supposed to be used as cannon fodder but we showed the world that we were unbreakable and were able to win when were weren't supposed to

2) Passchendale (SP?) see above

3) Toss up b/n the liberation of Holland and the Italian campaign - proved we were tough again

Edited by FishnNAutographs

1. "The Boar War"

2. "Vimy Ridge" (WW1)

about it

This seems too much like, "Hey Dad how do I do this question?" :whistling::blush: My usual response: " Look it up and tell me!"

However it is Boer, not boar, the boar war was barely on the radar as most nations found it used up to much of their pig iron as ballast in the ships that they used to get to Cape Horn (groan)

The biggest change to Canadian society was the liberation of women by placing them in the work force when the men went to war. For eg. what would a house sell for if families still had single incomes and what would society look like if kids were raised more by their parents.

The Iran, Iraq war was doing the same for Iraq before the Americans invaded and put the fundamentalists in power. By sending the men to war it raises the status of women in society.

Thats why I became a Combat Enginer because I couldn't spell Engineer. Yup your right Boer War. Not the Animal

My stepson has just been accepted into the armed forces and wants to be a Combat Engineer. He'll be called any day now to begin his basic training.

Any insight into the role of a combat engineer?

My stepson has just been accepted into the armed forces and wants to be a Combat Engineer. He'll be called any day now to begin his basic training.

Any insight into the role of a combat engineer?

All joking aside... this has now become even more serious.. I wish your son all the best.. and I look forward to holdfast's reply.. although given the circumstances.. it should be in PM.... tell your step son thank you for me would you please?

Gerritt.

As far as the three questions on the three battles on why they were significant to help win our dependence from Britain, there are facts not mentioned that had a key role. Ill give some hints. The Boer War we did something for the first Time as a nation. We all know that Vimy was a victory after the French and Brits failed, but something else was significant besides the tactics that the Canadians developed. And as far as the Scheldt Estuary a a hint would have to do with Canadian Command. Done for the first time and only time.

The War of 1812 could also be a small part to help our independence from Britain, But I would put it more as when Canadians ( The Canadians at that time were the French) Brits and natives fought along side against Americans from invasion several times. I really didnt think of that war had much to do with independence from the Brits. Of note as part of our professional development we had a tour of the battlefields in Ontario and Quebec with a guide who was an expert of the war. The way he explained the Battles was incredible. The Battle at Lundy's Lane is still a controversy.

Huey Graphite, Roy's Link pretty well sums it up. The hardest most dangerous job in the forces. FIRST ONES IN, LAST ONES OUT. Just to add, within the Combat Engineers you also Have your Airborne, Combat divers, Heavy Equipment Operators and of course JTF engineers if he sticks around a while. Boy did I ever got fooled when I asked if it had anything to do with the front lines and the Navy officer at the recruiting told me no. I never volunteered anything after that , I was always voluntold. As far as becoming an Engineer. I wish him luck and as far as I'm concerned, Best and most unique job in the world. You are special to the Infantry and Armoured. Any other Questions PM me. I also taught and Facilitated SQ courses in Wainwright which your son will do after his recruiting. Well if I have any spelling mistakes sue me Good Nite

All joking aside... this has now become even more serious.. I wish your son all the best.. and I look forward to holdfast's reply.. although given the circumstances.. it should be in PM.... tell your step son thank you for me would you please?

Gerritt.

Thanks for the well wishes and yes I agree, a PM would be more appropriate.

Huey graphite, I didn't know exactly either so this is what I found:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs....=043&bhcp=1

Thanks for the link Roy.

Thanks Holdfast for the info and your contributions to our freedoms.

Boer War-In South Africa, on 11 October 1899, war broke out between the British Imperialists and the Boers (descendants of Dutch Protestant farmers) who had been engulfed in conflict for over fifty years. In the end, 8,300 Canadians served, with 242 killed in action. Canadian Soldiers also earned 4 Victoria Crosses, Britians Highest Award. The Boer War was a first in many ways for Canada. It was the first time we sent troops abroad. Canadian Regiments that were born during the Boer War which include the (RCR) Royal Canadian Regiment, (RCD) Royal Canadian Dragoons, and the LDSH (RC) Lord Strathcona Horse Royal Canadian to name a few. These Regiments are still serving the people of Canada to this Day in Afghanistan with many battle honors.

Vimy Ridge- The Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917 changed the face of Canada forever. The British and French failed to take Vimy. On April 2, 1917, the Canadian Corps launched the largest artillery barrage in history up to that point. They shelled the German trenches for the next week, using over one million shells. The attack was loud enough that it could be heard in London, England. At dawn on Easter Monday, April 9, the 30 000-strong Canadian Corps began the attack, using a creeping barrage, a new technique whereby soldiers walked across No-Man's Land just behind a continuous line of shells (an improvement over previous battles, in which both sides had often shelled their own troops). After less than two hours, three of the four Canadian divisions had taken their objectives;

To Canadians, the name Vimy Ridge is very meaningful. It was the first time in the nation's history that its army fought as a complete organization in an independent battle. The Canadians were the only ones who defended their lines against the German army, when their Australian and New Zealander Commonwealth cousins did not. Also, the Canadian troops in the battle consisted of soldiers from all 9 provinces of Canada (Newfoundland did not join Confederation until 1949). The capture of the Ridge by the Canadian Corps, under the command of British General Julian H.G. Byng (with Canadian General Sir Arthur Currie acting as Chief-of-Staff), was a turning point for Allied Forces during the First World War. It was a triumphant event that Canadians from Vancouver to Halifax had in common and helped foster national unity. The success of the Canadian forces in this battle and others earned them a place at the post-war peace negotiations, a clear mark of the nation's independence from Britain.

Battle of the Scheldt Estuary- The Battle of the Scheldt, also known as "Battle of the Dikes, was a series of military operations which took place in northern Belgium and southwestern Netherlands during the Second World War from October 2 to November 8 of 1944. Under the command of General Henry Duncan Graham (Harry) Crerar, the First Canadian Army was international in character. It was comprised of two Corps – the 1st British Corps and the 2nd Canadian Corps. The 2nd Canadian Corps included the 1st Polish Armoured Division as well as three Canadian Divisions – the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions and the 4th Canadian Armoured Division. Belgian and Dutch units also served in the First Canadian Army in the initial advance. The Canadians fought a brutal battle to Liberate the Netherlands and were ordered to stop at the Rhineland so the rest of the allies could catch up. It was the first time that British troops were under Command of as Canadian General