Rapala...

Gerritt

Picked one of these up.. any good for Pickeral? 30+ feet.. Geez... they are a large bait...

also not cheap (in comparison to other Rapala's)

Anyone use this bait and caught fish on it?

just want to know if I got "Lured" or not..

Thanks!

G.

Hey G., I dragged one around last year for a bit, no takers. I don't think it's too big for the Q, but I think that the action on the lure is just not right for the bait the wally's are chasing. If you compare it to say a Manns 25 or 30, not that much different. Fall eyes seem to like a tight wobble vs a pronounced wally diver type side to side wobble.

Also, I don't have a clue as to depth they achieve with various amounts of line out, so it's it and miss until you can come up with some sort of pattern of success.

HH

well gerritt i have one too...and the 3 times i have been to quinte this fall i havnt used it yet...its a deep diver magnum x-rap,and is 5 1/2 inches long and is really not much bigger than the manns or the reef runners,so i thought it would work,and will dive down to 20ft so the colors they come in are great,and we all know the deep diver x-raps work and i have caught lots of walleye on them so im looking forward to using it this weekend...also the alewives the walleyes are eating on average are about 4-5 inches long,so why wouldnt it work considering its almost the same size,and it does have a good action to it...so im gonna try it for sure,and maybe us guys that have one might be on to something new for catching walleyes...i dont know of anyone who has used one or tried one so lets try it out !!!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Gerritt, me and my wife used 6 to 8 inch chubs on the Georgian for pike and skis and got walleye, the fall feed is on, bigger may be better? Think I saw Lew with a couple of pictures of walleyes(er pickerals) that attacked some of his muskie baits. Never know, match the hatch?

Edited by OhioFisherman

yes thats true as the shad the walleyes are feeding on are like 5inches long,i have seen them puke out 6 of them inside a livewell and its unreal how big they are,so i dont think its an issue to go bigger in the fall....case in point: early in the spring when we fish for salmon we use smaller baits,and as the season goes on and the biatfish grow so do the salmon lures....and we use the magnum spoons and flies late in the summer and early fall,and some of those spoons are 7 inches long....so for the walleyes to hit a 6inch rapala x-rap....im thinking will be great...and i am going to use mine this weekend so ill see how it goes !!!!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The guys here in Quebec who fish the St-Lawrence use huge baits this time of the year. Things like 6 inch curly tail jigs and swimming lures etc because the walleyes just gobble them up at this time of the year. I was surprised when I heard about that. Walleye season is closed in my area at this time of the year so I don't get the chance to use big baits for them.

In the Chibougamau region at this time of the year, most of the walleye fishermen are using 9, 11 and even 13 cm swim baits.