What the heck is this?

Rich

I agree with Darrel, fish that cannot be indentified should be released...Or if you are unaware of the regs, this spring while Pike fishing I caught a Lake Trout about 15 inches, would have liked to have kept it but being not sure of any possible slot size I released it...

Edited by Pigeontroller

Nice brownie. Looks like maybe a resident.

Atlantic salmon ID:Few (2 or 3) large spots on gill cover

No red/orange on adipose fin (brown trouts do have this red/orange)

No radiating rows of black spots on tail fin, which is usually entirely without spots

Reddish brown spots on sides of body except in large lake-run individuals

More than 19 whitish gill rakers on inside of first gill arch (the red gill filaments are on the outside of the arch)

Fewer than 120 scales in lateral line (brown trouts have more)

Spots on head and body dark and light background

Pelvic and anal fins usually without white leading (front) edges

Nine rays in anal fin

The fish is a BROWN TROUT.

It has all of the characteristics of a brown trout except for the color. The color is a touch strange – but only in close-up shots and because the fish PIC was taken in the dark. Otherwise, the fish looks normal to me.

It amazes me how many honorable fishermen do not know the fishing regulations. The standard procedure is that if one does not know 100% of a regulation, an honorable fisher will try to interpret the regulation so that it is to his benefit.

But guys, frequently it is said on this site - “ignorance of the law is not an excuse.”

Photoz, you stated – “I don't think Rich took an OOS Atlantic salmon, it sure looks a lot like a nice IN-SEASON brown trout to me? Nice fish Rich . . . . . t'was the best I could come up with for you?”

Guess what Photoz – Rich’s brown trout is not an Atlantic but at the same time, the brown trout caught is not an IN-SEASON fish.

It is still an OOS fish. How about the rest of you guys – what say you?

Rich stated – “Caught it on a roe bag bottom bounced and it was a Lake Erie trib.”

Lake Erie is in Area #2 where fishing and keeping a brown trout is open all year.

Lake Erie tribs are in area #3 where fishing and keeping a brown trout is legal only from last Saturday in April to September 30 (all inclusive).

carp-starter

Rich stated "Caught it on a roe bag bottom bounced and it was a Lake Erie trib".

Lake Erie is in Area #2 where fishing and keeping a brown trout is open all year.

Lake Erie tribs are in area #3 where fishing and keeping a brown trout is legal only from last Saturday in April to September 30 (all inclusive).

carp-starter

....Ah but many or most tribs have extended or year round seasons in the lower reaches (mouths). Now not knowing exactly what trib and precisely where in said trib who's to say it is an OOS fish?

That being said if'n your not sure what you've caught and the potential for it to be out of season....."let it go!"

well .. I realize I am a little late to the party here ... but ....

my first reaction was DEFINITELY a 'lake run' brown ... and had it not been for Dmasse's "definitely Atlantic - I just released some just like that" I wouldnt have had any doubt at all.

So For now .. I'll leave it at .. since I havent ever seen an Atlantic that could be confused with a Brown ... I'll downgrade to ALMOST Definitely a Brown ... I could be wrong ... stranger things have happened

Just out of Curiosity Rich, was the meat more yellowish or more pinkish in colour ? Lake run Brown tend to have a more yellowish tinge to the flesh.

Edited by camillj

Ive caught a lot of atlantics out east both sea run and landlocked quananiche. Another characteristic to look for a instead of brown spots on the body are there brown x's . If there was brown x's it might have been an atlantic.

Color varies with age of this fish. Small "parr," older young salmon, have 8 to 11 pigmented bars, or "parr marks," along each side of their body, alternating with a single row of red spots along the lateral line. These markings are lost when the "smolt" age is reached. Salmon in the sea are silvery on the sides and belly, while the back varies with shades of brown, green, and blue. Atlantic salmon also have numerous black spots, usually "X"-shaped and scattered around the body. When spawning, both sexes take on an overall bronze-purple coloration and may acquire reddish spots on the head and body. After spawning, the "kelts" are so dark in color that these fish are also called "black salmon"

Carpstarter Browns are legal on Big Creek up to Delhi until Dec 31 and up to Lyndon all year. A lot of other tribs in that area have extended seasons as well.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Well I asked a friend who Is one of the head guys for the Atlantic Salmon Fedeation, and he mentioned that its looks like a "FULL SPAWN noodle in BREEDING DRESS"

http://www.fishingnet.com/salmon_recognition.htm

I guess when Atlantics are in fresh water and fresh water only they bloom in full spawn colours

If I personally havent released 300 16inch fish myself, I would have said a brown but I have seen these fish close up. I will also forward this to WILL WAGMAN of the MNR and Bruce Donalds of the DNR ( US MNR) to confirm the fish..

BTW THE DNR did a huge Atlantic Staocking on Lake Erie

1995 - Introduction of Landlocked Atlantic salmon to the Salmon River (60,000 fry). The addition of Atlantic salmon is to provide a summer fishery and offset any perceived loss of revenue from the ending of snagging. Examine the possible restocking of Brown trout to create a resident summer fishery in the main stem of all Lake Erie Rivers. Success of these programs cannot take place until year round minimum flows are established in the river.

I hope this help and will post on future findings

Dave

NATE

Sorry I know where the salmon river is as well as Oak Orchard etc etc. I was fishing them before you were walking, the aticle that I was typing said the SALMON RIVER HATCHERY. I just for got to put HATCHERY

60000 fry hatches raised and released in variers rivers like the Little LEHIGH river and released on some mountain stream on the UPPER DELAWARE...

anyway I will find out for sure tomorrow..

Dave

looks like a "FULL SPAWN noodle in BREEDING DRESS"

Dave

Sure is a male atlantic in full colours.

The slightly downturned, elongated mouth and LARGE black spot on gill covers gives it away.

IMG_0011-6.jpg

Despite what god (Nate) says, your right DMasse.

ehg

Looks like a brown at 1st but... I have not seen a brown with a sharp cut nose like that. Almost a angle on top of the nose. Most brown male should have a orange color. But since this one is little odd... So did a sort little search. Guess what? It's not a brown.

http://www.miramichisalmon.net/fishing.html

Image from that site.

hilary_grilse.jpg

"Fall Atlantic salmon are far different in appearance than the summer salmon as they are a little darker, having red and orange spots."

I hope there were no "Atlantic salmon" that was keep by people that thought it was a brown.

Edit: Nice that you chought a Atlantic salmon... but to bad about the keeping part.

The moral of the story... If you don't know what it is, don't kill it?

Edited by Kory~K

Well ehg seeing as the atlantic in your picture seems to have three and ONLY 3 black spots take a look at rich's fish yet again. I see WAY more than 3 black dots on the gill cover/ head region.

Be interesting to see what Dmasse's mnr connections have to say and weather or not he chooses to post if they confirm it as a brown. Alot of seasoned river fisherman on this site have cleary Identified this fish as a brown but we'll see and IF it is confirmed that it is a brown then may you bite your tongue and retract your last statement above.

Nate

I dont seem to be the only one who firmly beleives it is a brown...funny how you like to choose favourites

Edited by Nater

Well ehg seeing as the atlantic in your picture seems to have three and ONLY 3 black spots take a look at rich's fish yet again. I see WAY more than 3 black dots on the gill cover/ head region.

Be interesting to see what Dmasse's mnr connections have to say and weather or not he chooses to post if they confirm it as a brown. Alot of seasoned river fisherman on this site have cleary Identified this fish as a brown but we'll see and IF it is confirmed that it is a brown then may you bite your tongue and retract your last statement above.

Nate

I dont seem to be the only one who firmly beleives it is a brown...funny how you like to choose favourites

:blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Oh and it's 'whether' not 'weather'. 'i'before 'e' (except after 'c' ) as well.

You can't spell so much for your opinion as well.

I went through the thread and took a count (should be good to within a couple points):

Brown Trout: 24

Atlantic Salmon: 7

Brown Trout Hybrid: 2

Rock Bass: 1

Splake: 1

So far Rich is staying out of jail....... :thumbsup_anim:

Burt :)